Black Muslims : Mobilization For Imam Jamil Abdullah Al-amin

Assalaamu Alaikum (Greetings of Peace):

This is the official press release for this Monday's mobilization for Imam Jamil. Please pass on.

El-Hajj Mauri' Saalakhan
-------------------------

A DAY OF ACTION” (Public Rally) for Imam Jamil Abdullah Al-Amin
Monday, March 19, 2012, at the Georgia State Capitol

For Immediate Release:
March 16, 2012
Contact information: Heather Gray
404 234 4630 - heather@wrfg.org

ATLANTA....March 16, 2012, marks the 12th anniversary of a tragedy that affected three families and an entire community. It was on March 16, 2000, at around 10 PM at night, that two Fulton County Sheriff Deputies got into a gunfight with an assailant that left one deputy dead and the other seriously injured. Jamil Al-Amin (the former H. Rap Brown), the accused assailant (who has consistently maintained his innocence), was arrested days later in White Hall (AL), and charged with first degree murder and assault.

After a deeply flawed trial that resulted in Al-Amin receiving a life sentence, the leader of the West End Muslim community was confined to Georgia’s maximum security prison in Reidsville. In 2007 Al-Amin was arbitrarily deemed a “security risk” - despite having no serious infractions within the institution – and was moved from state custody into federal custody, and assigned to the federal admax facility (aka, “supermax prison”) in Florence, Colorado - 1,400 miles away from his family and attorneys.

This abrupt move, which was made without even informing his family, led to a number of pressing questions, beginning with the federal government's complicity in his case. It raised the question of whether Al-Amin was being punished because he is a prominent Muslim, and also begged the question of whether his civil rights past - principally through the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) in the 1960's - and his ongoing demands and activism for civil and human rights in the U.S. may have also factored into the equation?

It should also be noted that just prior to his abrupt move to Florence, Colorado, in 2007, Muslims in Georgia's prisons had asked that he serve as the Imam for Muslim prisoners throughout the State. This was without Al-Amin's prompting, and was a clear acknowledgement of the broad based respect for him and his leadership.

Al-Amin’s case was, and is, a local case. There were no federal charges, conviction, or sentences. In spite of this, the State of Georgia chose to move him out of Georgia's prison population into a high-cost federal institution at Georgia taxpayer’s expense! The conditions in the prison are extraordinarily punitive, including 24-hour isolation in an underground facility with no human contact. (Notwithstanding the moral considerations, the material cost of such punishment is un-called for.)

On Monday, March 19, 2012, at 3 PM, there will be a demonstration in front of the Georgia State Capitol - designated as a "Day of Action in Support of Imam Jamil Abdullah Al-Amin" - to demand that “Imam Jamil” (as he is commonly known) be returned to Georgia state custody, where he rightfully belongs, until such time that he can receive a new trial, a fair trial, with all of the relevant and available evidence allowed to come into the proceedings.

The speakers for Monday’s press conference will be (in alphabetical order):

Michael Bond (City Councilman - Atlanta)
Ramsey Clark (a former US Attorney General – New York)
Connie Curry (a veteran activist, and SNCC alumni - Atlanta)
Pastor Kenneth Glasgow (Christian clergyman)
Heather Gray (WRFG Radio - Atlanta)
Vincent Hardin (distinguished visiting scholar, Morehouse College)
Diane Mathiewitz (International Action Center - Atlanta)
Min. Akbar Muhammad ( International Representative, Nation of Islam)
Imam Furqan Muhammad (a highly regarded Muslim chaplain - Atlanta)
Abdul Muhayman (Rep. for The Community Masjid - West End)
Nan Orrock (State Senator, District 36, Atlanta)
Imam Farid W. Rassool (Masjid As-Sabiqun, Chester, PA)
Mauri' Saalakhan (The Peace Thru Justice Foundation – Washington, DC)
Imam Zaid Shakir (a nationally known, California-based Islamic scholar)
Aaron Ward (District Director for Congressman John Lewis, D-GA)

The State Capitol is located at 206 Washington Street in Atlanta, Georgia. Additional information on this case is available at www.freeimamjamil.com .

For interviews on Imam Jamil's case please call Heather Gray at (404) 234-4630 or email her at heather@wrfg.org .

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

.......Thanks for this update sister noor100, let's post any further findings here... So far, the only speaker I'm familiar with is [ Ramsey Clark (a former US Attorney General – New York) ]... Sorry for my delayed response.

Peace In,

I haven't recieve any more updates...if I do I will post them here. I did hear that there was a large turnout for Imam Jamil.Hopefully Allah willing, this will have some affect on his situation.

.......Good Sister, I'll do the same. Imam Jamil (H. Rap Brown) deserves grace and blessings for all he's done for his people.

Peace In,

I haven't recieve any more updates...if I do I will post them here. I did hear that there was a large turnout for Imam Jamil.Hopefully Allah willing, this will have some affect on his situation.

.......So far, here's what I've found sister noor100, on the rally for Imam Jamil, AKA - H. Rap Brown:

Dr. Vincent Harding delivered a powerful message for teenagers, and consumes most of this tape. Harding shares shocking information on the "Sub-Max" prison complex in Colorado, and its refusal to allow him to visit Jamil. That Jamil is in isolation from all others. I'm confused that Congressman John Lewis isn't playing the lead role in Jamil's return to Georgia. I don't understand why this is so difficult, then again I do.

Peace In,