Black Women : MLK s birthday

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by Alkebulan, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    since it is his bday, i thought i would post some of my thoughts.

f u engage n unbiased research n2 kings life u will encounter divergent acessments of the sum of his life. u will undoubtedly encounter some who choose 2 focus on his flaws or the imperfections that r ubiquitous thruout humanity. delve deeply enough & u may even discover & possibly b dissilusioned by writings that claim, as some do, that the overwhelming bulk of kings writing & speeches were plaugerized almost verbatum from other sources. according 2 1 source, mrs king was compiling a book of kings writing & speeches when that was initially proported. she launched an investigation n2 the matter & (according 2 the same source, not me) found sufficient substance n the claim 2 cease plans 4 her publication. sources closer 2 home claimed that while he held himself out as a bastion of moral fortitude he lacked the personal integrity 2 remain fathful 2 his wife. thats not all. o k, so king was human & like the rest of us, at times weak.

who amoung us can testify about the immeasurable pressures, constant survailance, temptations and frustrations inseparable from such a prominant leadership position & guarentee that we would hv performed better, or even as well? for the most part this individual suffered unrestricted derision, open hatred, insessent opposition (sometimes from supposedly friendly allies), & more than 1 assassination attempt, and life under a magnifying glass w a composure, grace & dignity few could match, let alone surpass. kings human failings do not need 2 b whitewashed or ignored any more than his accomplishments do. we must learn 2 accept all aspects of our leadership & embrace them n totality, recognizing the part of us n them & the part of them n us. it is, after all, his humanity that endears him 2 us most. as far as i m concerned, being brutally murdered n the prime of life wipes the transgression slate clean.

that said, & at the risk of being accused of blasphemy i confess, that 4 me at least, this holiday isn t really about king. as the 1 legal international holiday for black people, it is simply 2 large 4 any 1 man, even king. i choose 2 honor & remember the countless participants, the known & the many more unknown n our collective struggle thru the ages. black heroes & sheroes began w the dawn of time. there is no era of human history n which some black people did not achieve excellence. the struggle 4 equality & freedom began centuries b4 either malcolm or king. f all the participants were known, we could read about 1 each day & still not complete the task by the end of our lives. every group, nation or race has achieved some measure of greatness, at least n their opinion, at some point n their travel thru time.

today is set aside specifically 2 recognize ours.

this is just one, black mans opinion. whats urs?

hi thandi :wave:

2. Thandiwe

Thandiwe Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    hey doc!

i agree with you. today is not just a day for honoring him but for the countless and and sometimes forgotten sheroes and heroes of our history.

i too have read people comments about him plaguerizing parts and/or all of his speeches. we hared about his alleged affairs, seen he's friends turn against him, and his actions simplified. it still doesn't diminish the accomplishments and tribution of his life.

3. poeticdelight

poeticdelight Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Bamboozled

financial independence
    creates an illusion of
    freedom

how can we truly be free
    when rapper Jay-Z can't even
    occupy a space in upper Manhattan
    for his tenancy