Black Christians : Mixed Religous Marriages?

Discussion in 'Christian Study Group' started by MsInterpret, Sep 1, 2011.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    If you are a Christian, is it wrong to marry someone of a different religion or non-religious background?

2. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

I would dare say it's not wrong, but it's certainly going to be a tough journey...

I only know of maybe 2 or 3 who can actually live that way and continue to respect each other in public and private and much respect to them....

It takes a lot of strength to be able to do that because you would have to restrain yourself on just about a daily basis from saying or doing anything that might be misconstrued as desrespecting your spouses religion. Holidays for example. A muslim man might ask his christian wife to fast with him and say it's totally up to her. If she declines will he honestly be able to say 'that's ok baby, i understand'? Yes, but their will always be that seed of doubt that was just planted in his mind by her REJECTING his offer.

Will that Husband be able to Celebrate Easter or Christimas the way his Christian wife wants to celebrate by going out and getting a tree and decking it with silver and gold when it is strictly prohibited in the qu'ran from doing so? Will he be able to attend the church services and sit there with his wife during easter all the while looking at the preacher during the sermon thinking 'this is pure nonsense', the qu'ran says nothing about that.

Like i said it would take 2 special people who put their love before their religion and i only know of a couple of them and i know that many more who tried and failed, but at least they did try....

3. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    I think it depends.

I think it depends on culture as well as religion when considering marriage. But I also believe that, in essence, an Black African American Christian could be compatible with a Black Muslim or a Black Islamic person, and more but this western civilization has exploited religions to the point in which certain issues still need to be addressed with in a cultural perspective.

In ancient times, even though the Israelites had their 'way of life', they were blessed to bond with the Egyptians during the time of Solomon, because at that time the Egyptians went back to their ancient religion of the priesthood which was, in essence, the same as the Israelites. Then the Israelites also were blessed to bond with the Chaldeans too, because their religion in its origins were the same. From my understanding, the Chaldeans are the true Muslims. In regards to marriage with a non-religious person, the Bible, I believe, addresses one issue in which a wife could win her husband over to by conversation. I know too, that the Bible speaks of being 'equally yoked' and I think this means to consider issues such as culture, economics as well as a persons moral values. I believe that Christianity is supposed to be an awesome 'way of life' that is fulfilling, and eternal, but because of this western civilization's exploitation of it, it depends upon each persons understandings and viewpoints of it and in comparison to the other persons religion or what they really want to achieve with their life, that would help to make that choice in regards to marriage. So I guess, I would ask a person, 'what are your long range goals in life?-- to get a bearing on if I thought I could bond with that person and be compatible for life. I could go on, but I think I'll stop for now.

4. Proverbs31Woman

Proverbs31Woman Be kinder than necessary! MEMBER

Ratings:
    +877
    The largest conflict one would bear is being faithful to their Lord's will and balancing that with being totally supportive of their mate. In regards to your personal relationship with your Heavenly Father, you can only serve one master. Meaning, your obedience to God or whatever appropriate deemed by your faith, is to be #1. If your husband or wife submits to another God and way of life, this will be a daily conflict and possibly would become your weakness, compromising your spiritual growth. It would be like trying to keep a swinging pendulum in the middle. While it may be possible, but at what cost is the question.