Black Spirituality Religion : Misunderstanding Muslims...

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Aqil, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    By James Carroll
    Boston Globe

When the Holy Qur'an was said to have been denigrated by American guards at Guantanamo Bay last year, Muslims reacted with rage, but most observers in the West misunderstood why. It was easy for Christians and Jews - the other ''people of the Book" - to think that such an insult to the Qur'an was like an insult to the Bible. That would be sacrilege enough, but it was worse than that.

Drawing analogies between religions can mislead, but the Qur'an stands in Islamic belief more as Jesus does in Christian faith than as the Bible. As the Christian understands it, the Qur'an embodies the incarnation principle, with the chanting of the holy words that came from God to Prophet Muhammad as the way God's presence is experienced again.

Non-Muslims tend to think that the Prophet is to Islam something like what Jesus is to Christianity (which is why non-Muslims have mistakenly called the religion ''Mohammedanism"), but it is the Qur'an that holds such a central place. Hence, Islamic visual celebration is calligraphy, not images. Therefore, when the Qur'an is disrespected, the insult Muslims feel is nothing less than insult to Allah (God).

Insult, of course, is the issue that has been put so explosively before the world recently. The Danish cartoons were a flame applied to a primed fuse, and the extraordinary reactions to the images from across the whole House of Islam point beyond the immediate provocation to a far broader sense of insult that Muslims have been made to feel.

One need not excuse the indiscriminate violence of mobs in the streets, nor dismiss the good question of why such rage is not directed against the blasphemy of suicide-murders carried out in the name of Allah to take a lesson from what has happened. The Islamic world seems astoundingly united in sending a stern message to ''the West," and instead of focusing again on ''what went wrong" with Islam, Europeans and Americans would do well to take that message in.

Thinking of deep history, for example, we might recall that the very structures of politics, culture, and thought that define Western civilization were expressly erected in opposition to Islam more than 1,000 years ago. What we call ''the West" was born in the clash of civilizations that climaxed in the Crusades, with Muslims assigned the role of the external ''negative other" against which Christendom defined itself positively (The internal ''negative other" were the Jews). Among Europeans, and then Americans, that intellectual polarity was sublimated over the centuries, but its insult remained current among Muslims, and was powerfully resuscitated by the assault of colonialism.

The economics of oil - including the creation of an oppressive local class of Western-sponsored oligarchs - locked the grievous insult in place. As if to be sure it was more sharply felt than ever, Europe imported ''guest workers" from the Islamic world, openly consigning them to an underclass that is as religiously defined as it is permanent.

And then the United States launched its wars. One of the major disconnects in the present conflict is the way in which European and American analysis obsesses with the apparently anarchic outbursts of violence in the ''Arab street," without taking in how brutally violent the post-9/11 ''coalition" assault has been, not only physically but psychologically. Mobs throw stones through the windows of European consulate offices, and the legion of CNN watchers recoils with horror. Meanwhile, unmanned drones fly across stretches of desert to drop loads of fire on the heads of subsistence farmers in their villages; children die, but CNN is not there.

Billions of dollars are being poured each month into the project of imposing an American solution on an Arab problem, and increasingly the solution looks, from the other side, like annihilation. Muslims, that is, understand the new reality far better than non-Muslims do - the state of open cultural warfare that ''the West" imagines is a narrowly targeted war against ''terrorism." Muslims, as Muslims, experience themselves as on the receiving end of a savage - but, alas, not unprecedented - assault.

Are they wrong? In the argument over ''Enlightenment" values - sparked by the cartoons - some champions of free expression have fallen into the deadly old mistake that, in the 20th century, led to a grotesque betrayal of those very values - the over/under ranking of human beings, with the lives of some being counted as cheap.

Why are they being killed? As with multiple problems today, this one comes back to the misbegotten American war. It threatens to ignite the century, and must be stopped.

http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0213-20.htm

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    sorry........

as a survivor of the WTC attacks on 9/11, i look at Muslims as people with blood on their hands. all i see is rage and killing from them.
    to me, a Muslim is someone who if you say "good morning" they will become offended and try to kill you. anger, rage, death, blood.

that is all i see.

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    It’s not Muslims….it’s Arabs. Just as Christians weren’t responsible for the enslavement of our people….White folks were!

4. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    you are correct on this point.

i do have a problem separating the white folks from the Christians and i have a problem separating the Arabs from the Muslims.
    i reject both Islam and Christianity.
    there is simply too much pain and hurt that comes with those words.
    the images in my head are horrific. when i see them in the streets on TV, i wish for a nuclear bomb.
    i would be pleased to see these peoples wiped clean from the face of the earth.
    there is just too much blood.

there was a black family.
    father, mother and two children.
    that father was killed in WTC. they found no trace. i rode the train into NY with him that morning.
    here was a black man who was strong for his family. he was killed by a Muslim.
    now those children will have no father.
    that black boy will have no role model.
    i can say that that child never did a thing against the Koran.

i have never heard a Muslim even acknowledge the horror they have unleashed upon the world. all they ever do is point the finger at another.

5. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    The 19 hijackers who flew those planes into the WTC were Saudi Arabian nationals, not Muslims...

6. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    they were not Muslims? what religion were they then? protestants?
    i have to tell you, statements of denial only serve to keep my bad feelings alive.
    you cannot correct what you will not even admit.

7. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    No, they were not Muslims. I don't know what religion they were...they were Saudi Arabian nationals. There are approximately 255 million Arabs in the world today, and all of them are not Muslim...

8. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    This would only be valid, if you think that they (Arabs, Muslims) were responsible for 9/11.

There is increasing, and overwhelming evidence that they most likely were not.

Like Chris Rock said: "I ain't scared of AL-QAIDA, I'm scared of AL-CRACKA".

AQIL's clarification is indeed most correct: Not all Arabs are Muslims, and not all Muslims are Arabs.

Do you think brothers like AQIL here, or even brothers from the Nation Of Islam (the bow-tie brothers on the corner) have "blood on their hands"?

As much as I despise Christianity, I know that not all Christians are alike........Do think that Christian brothers and sisters like Bro. Radical and Sis. Akilah are like Constantine and John Hawkins?

Just like we must do with Homosexuals and homosexuality, so too must we do with Religions and the people who follow them.

Though we have some significant cultural and ethnic differences, the one thing that the Arab and the Black man have in common, is that the White man is striving to destroy us both.

At least the Arab is trying to do something about it.

PEACE

9. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    i know that not all muslims are arabs.
    i did not know that not all arabs are muslims.
    will you please provide some illumination on the arabs who are not muslim?
    who are they and how many are they?

can someone provide evidence that the men who attacked WTC were NOT muslims?

10. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    Christian Arabs:

http://www.yahoodi.com/peace/arabs.html#butare

The DRUZES:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druze

The SUFI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sufi

"Sufis are active in a diverse range of brotherhoods and sisterhoods, with a wide diversity of thought. Sufi orders ("tariqas") can be Shi'a Islam, Sunni Islam, both or neither."

ZOROASTRIANISM:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrianism

There are a few more.

Not only not Muslims, nor Arabs, but WHITE MEN.

The same people who blew up the the WTC in NY, are the same ones who blew it up in OK........

Look to the US government as the culprit of this and other heinous crimes.

PEACE