Black Sports : Missouri situation shows power of sports to bring enormous change

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

For the amount of money raked in from athletic programs, colleges and universities owe its players some kind of stipend, to say the least.

ROCHELLE RILEY: Will Missouri players' action lead to push to be paid?

... But perhaps that could change, should change, after the unprecedented and heroic action taken by black University of Missouri football players. They stood with students who believed their concerns about racial incidents on campus were ignored by the university’s leadership.

The players vowed to boycott football without substantial change. How about a president and chancellor resigning? Is that change enough for you?

But the greater issue, the greater question, is what happens next? Will this instance empower athletes at other universities to stand together for change, to demand more? Could the recognition that they have power be enough to push student athletes to tackle that granddaddy of all unfair campus practices: the business of college athletics? ...

http://www.freep.com/story/news/col...ey-will-missouri-players-power-last/75726186/

635830453366126299-AP-University-of-Missour.jpg

(Photo: Jeff Roberson, AP)

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

Missouri would likely be alone with 10 percent black faculty

Missouri would likely stand alone with 10 percent black faculty; Other flagships much lower

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) -- If the University of Missouri succeeds in meeting a student demand for a faculty that's 10 percent black in two years, it will likely be alone among its peers.

No state's "flagship" public university campus had a black faculty population approaching that level, and only a handful topped even the 5 percent mark, an Associated Press analysis of 2013 federal data found ...

http://news.yahoo.com/missouri-likely-alone-10-percent-black-faculty-064011086.html

0c1efbb0aa45f633870f6a7067005db5_original.jpg

In this Thursday, Nov. 12, 2015, photo, University of Massachusetts Amherst student Evandro Tavares speaks to students gathered to highlight issues from racial inclusion to student debt, during a march at the Student Union on the UMass campus in Amherst, Mass. (Carol Lollis/Daily Hampshire Gazette via AP) MANDATORY CREDIT

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

Why are black college professors so rare?

Mizzou students want to increase black faculty to 10 percent, almost unheard of in most US colleges, where black professors typically make up less than 5 percent of the faculty

... The studies suggest that black faculty may be drawn to small schools' focus on humanities and social sciences, which typically attract more black students than sciences and engineering, but also the emphasis on teaching, rather than a publish-or-perish attitude that leaves many professors elsewhere more concerned about their research than their students.

Not only does that improve students' in-class learning, but it often leads to more supportive student-teacher relationships ...

http://news.yahoo.com/why-black-college-professors-rare-135847012.html

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

Missouri: Can hiring more black professors shift institutional racism?

A study released by Stanford University suggests bias is too embedded. But there may be hope

... Hiring more black faculty would benefit students on multiple levels, argues Deidree Golbourne, an African-American studies major at the University of Buffalo.

"Studies show that students normally do better if they're taught by people that can relate to them, not only economically or socially, but racially," she told the Chronicle of Higher Education, "because naturally we face similar struggles" ...

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/USA-Update/2015/1117/Missouri-Can-hiring-more-black-professors-shift-institutional-racism

948427_1_1117-missouri-campus.JPG_standard.jpg

AP Photo/Jeff Roberson/File ... View Caption

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
HODEE Black People : Missouri political officials react to verdict Black People Open Forum 1
PurpleMoons Black People : NAACP ISSUES TRAVEL WARNING FOR MISSOURI Black People Open Forum 2
Kemetstry Law Forum : NAACP WARNS MINORITIES AND WOMEN ABOUT MISSOURI Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Missouri Postal Workers Win $1 Million Lotto Prize Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : Black students interrupt Univ. of Kansas Town Hall in wake of Missouri protest Black Education / Schools 28
Liberty Black Education / Schools : University of Missouri students report threats of violence; police quell rumors Black Education / Schools 0
chuck Black Sports : Please do support the black university of Missouri black sport team protesters too Black Sports 68
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Walgreen deceives shoppers with stale tags, deserves fines: Missouri AG Black People Open Forum 0
RAPTOR The Police : Armed w/ Military-Grade Weapons, Missouri Police Crack Down on Protests over Michael Brown Shooting Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Homeless couple sues Missouri town for asking them to leave Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
noor100 Black Muslims : Missouri Anti Sharia Law Bill: The Bigoted Facts Islam Study Group 8
triniti424 Black Travel : Hey family, Anyone here from or frequent Kansas City, Missouri?? Black Travel 6
I Pan Africanism : AFRICAN CENTERED SCHOOL IN MISSOURI. African American History Culture 3
legit-writer Black Poetry : Missouri Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
skuderjaymes Black People : 50 Yrs Ago American Police Debated George Floyd Situation On National TV Black People Open Forum 1
R Black Poetry : confused mean mixed up use knowledge to fix a corrupt situation so Twix me a cup of coffee and some toast bread I really hate to boast about what I sa Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Destee Black People : Do You Have Any Suggestions for Detroit's Water Situation Besides Begging the Government? Black People Open Forum 70
Alarm Clock Black People : Alicia Stanley, and Brandy Green, hidden names from the Trayvon situation Black People Open Forum 1
legit-writer Black People : A similiar Trayvon Martin situation Black People Open Forum 3
Ankhur Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv: Res, 700 Mile Situation Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Ankhur Guinea : What is the real deal about the situation in Guinea? Guinea 1
Ankhur Black People : What is the real situation with Cong. Maxine Waters? Black People Open Forum 1
Ankhur Black People : After the slaughter of innocents, what's the situation in Detroit and howcan we help? Black People Open Forum 5
asimplepoet Black Poetry : from situation to inspiration Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
Ankhur Haiti : 1/17/10 Dr Leonard Jeffries , on like it Is/ Haiti situation Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 1
Ankhur Haiti : Randal Robertson; Speaks on Haiti Situation Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 2
Destee My Position on the $$RICH$$ Situation Violators and Violations (Possible Ones) 22
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : Obama Is A No Win Situation For Black People Chief Elder Osiris 0
HODEE Black Poetry : When you find your in a situation Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : The Divine Truth About The Black Situation In America United States, Thus The World Chief Elder Osiris 0
A Black Poetry : Dont you even dare to misabuse this situation Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
I Peculiarrr situation lol Black Children 0
M Black Poetry : I’m seeing sick, being with a chick is a fine situation Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
M Black People : How do I get out of sticky situation? Black People Open Forum 8
T Black Poetry : A comfortable Situation Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
1poetsought Black Poetry : Situation Comedy Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
Destee Black People : R. Kelly Situation - Where do you stand? Black People Open Forum 28
U Black Poetry : Slum Village (My interpretation of the situation) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
blakverb Black Poetry : To Mommy, To Daddy (too many children are in this situation) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
A Black People : Understanding the Palestinian Situation... Black People Open Forum 18
Discerning Black People Politics : Trump shows his face as Biden completes a trouncing Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Video Shows White California Cop Pinning, Punching 14-Year-Old Black Kid Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Phones and Apps : A 2-Year Study of More Than 5,000 People Shows This 1 Activity Destroys Your Emotional and Physical Health Science and Technology 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Short Stories : MICROSOFT'S EBOOK APOCALYPSE SHOWS THE DARK SIDE OF DRM Short Stories - Authors - Writing 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Diet soda may dramatically increase your risk of heart attack and stroke, study shows Black Health and Wellness 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Google CEO Had To Explain To Congress Why Googling 'Idiot' Shows Donald Trump Science and Technology 1
IFE Black People : #MeToo Shows That Women Must Learn Sexual Self-defence Black People Open Forum 8
HODEE Black People : 34 criminal cases tossed after body cam footage shows cop planting drugs Black People Open Forum 4
chuck Black Entertainment : What are your thoughts about today's black tv shows? Black Entertainment 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : National Urban League's 'State of Black America' shows educational, economic improvements Black Education / Schools 3