Black People : Misery Loves Company....

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by happy69, May 22, 2004.

1. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    I'm just back from a nice little blues club; the sun is already up down here, and the air is already sticky on my back. I heard a sister sing tonight; who touched my heart so, with her lyrics...I can still feel her voice vibrating inside my chest.

After a night of dancing and lively talk, you would think I would drop off in my bed and fall fast and deeply asleep; but I cannot.

Well, as you know we have been hit with a couple of misles leveled at us the last couple of days. .. first, Bill Cosby, who I have always felt had paper bag swatches on his brain, anyway, blamed our ills on Our poor brethren (which I myself is only a few paychecks away from being myself). As stated, and as many of you know, I agree with the self-reliant/self-sustaining take myself. I think that We can do it; and I think that We have all the necessary tools to do so... and after a little study of his wordage, I still don't know if he was trying to be funny or not or ironic... so, I'll leave that at that.

A lady friend was telling me of what Rosie O'Donelle (sp.?) had said about Us, and she was all upset and could not believe that she would say such and such and she watched her show and thought this and that. Of course I reminded my friends that I had long ago told them that there was something very redneck and klanish about the lady, and I never saw her talent,etc...

So, this went on, and Miss Missy was just in a lather; so I asked, "Why are you so shocked?"
    Her reply, "Because!" And she gave me that duh look.
    "Because what?"
    And we stared at each other and finally it dawned on me; "Why because she is fat and gay?" And I got that go to hell for saying it so **** bluntly look.

So, I am thinking. This is one of Our greatest problems. It may very well be Our Greatest Problem.

We suffer. We cause suffering. But, because others may have or suffer similiar things or because they may do something that seems good.... We latch on and reach for kinship. We throw ourselves on the battlefield for them, We protect them. Bill, is a classist and a colorist as far as I am concerned. But, because he gives money to HBCU's he is okay, and he can demonize my name. I don't think so. (Again, I wish I could hear what he said, because I am not sure.

Rosie, is a racist(.) But because she may get some heat for being overweight in this society and because she may get some flack for being gay, it is okay that she make racist remarks directed at me. I don't think so.

If someone's skin is like mine...that override them working with those who hate me to destroy me; to displace me, to take my job, to use my struggles as a stepping stone for them.

Misery Loves Company. You can keep waiting for the door to ring... I ain't got the time.

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Rosie was talking about us? That's it, I'm no longer going to buy her magazine.....oh wait, I never did to begin with! Well then I definately won't watch her talk show again.....Oh yea, it was cancelled years ago, and I never watched it to begin with. Definately I will stop supporting Gay/Lesbian organizations.....except now that I think about it I don't do this either. I don't know what Rosie said...she is below my radar of importance. But we have to be mental midgets to really believe that the Homosexual agenda is the same as African American Civil Rights struggle....please!! I didn't notice any gays marching with Dr. King. Why should I care about their needs? To me a gay white man is a white man, and a gay white woman is a white woman. I can care less what they do in their bedroom, they are still the oppressors of my people! It would be to our benefit to remember this....

3. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    AMEN Brother...AMEN! Personally, I also believe what Bill said needed to be said. Though it is not a reflection on the entire race, it was a reflection on what is definitely happening with some in our race...unfortunately true.

4. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Rosie Been Boo Boo, Since Boo Boo was created.

5. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    I think that you all got my point. And PA great post. But, many in Our Family do think just like that, and you know it.

Joyce; I am not arguing rather or not what he said was a truism; it is. We need to learn to work together as a community. But, to put the burden on just one sector of Us-- makes the truth a lie. Did those "Lower Economic Peoples" stop him from owning NBC? So, what was the reason for his kids ALL being on drugs at one time or another? Why did most of Them not go or finish college? Ummn. Must've been those "Lower Economic Peoples," and in his world, hell, 90+ percent of Us are "Lower Economic People." And he is not stupid enough not to know that playing that in front of White Folks get their old "Divide and Conquer" strategies new life.
    Afterall, if he messes up again, and Whitey comes looking for his tail again, who do you think gonna misguidely go out and protest for him--"Them Lower Economic Peoples." Maybe I'm naive because I did believe that his classism and colorism was overrided by common sense; when he supported the Cincy Boycott. Go Figure.

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    i totally agree here 100% what he said was needed

7. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    In my opinion, If I'm angry at the actions of someone I love and support, Yes, I'm gonna give it to them raw. But I'm not going to degrade them in front of the very people who hates them and want's them to fail. If I want that person to make a change, it would be said to them alone or surrounded with other people who loves them. If Mr.Cosby was'nt so famous in white society, He too would have been consider part of the very people whom he is degrading and even still with all his money and statues, little do he dare to recognize, he too is looked down upon as just another talented monkey who found his fortune by dancing, singing, and acting as a court jester for white society. When they see and think of him, the first thang that comes to their mind is probably the word Black, then funny, then money. Not necesariliy in that order. Our people are surfuring because we lost our identity. We don't know how powerful, intelligent, and strong that we really are. Yes, we know that we are the descendants from a once, powerful empire of kings and queens in africa. We know that we are from a rich culture, but from the very time that we were enslaved by the white man, they have whipped, killed, hidden, and stole our history from us. Leaving us with scarce information about us to pass on to our children. If we want to find our history, we have to dig and scratch at every stone unturned while the continue to dehumanize our name. Yes, our current state is part our fault. I say this because not enough of us strive to understand or recapture our true identity and the little information that we do have gets less and less with each generation. Therefore, our children are out here trying to create an identity, be it positive or negative. While people like Bill and the white man continues to make a mockery of our still struggling people. It breaks my heart to hear Mr.Cosby, Belittle us in the presence of our NO.1 fans.(whitey) But, I still have faith and belief that change is gonna come. And our people will recapture our true beautiful history.

8. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

I don't think Bill Cosby needs to be defended, but I will say this. Dr. William Cosby did not get his fortune , by dancing, singing and being a cour jester. He got it by earning a college degree being true to his craft and carefully planning his career with his wife, Dr Camille Cosby.

Bill cosby has been one of the most outspoken entertainers concerning the bafoonery and dumbing down of black entertainers and athletes, and has done so on a consistent basis for as long as I can remember

His Critique of some black people who have dropped the ball passed on to them by other blacks that made the sacrifices for them to rise above there condition, was done at an event commemorating the 50th anniversary of Brown Vs. Board of ED. The Executive Director, Kwesi Mfume was present among other black civil rights leaders, I don't see how that could be "airing" our dirty laundry in front of the enemy.

Indeed, there may be some white folks who see themselves as superior to all blacks, but you would hard pressed to find most of them that do not admire a the accomplishments and sacrifices that both Dr Bill and Camille Cosby have made over the years.

However, in the final analysis, who cares what white people think of us, what are we doing to uplift ourselves, and until we stop making excuses, the negative perceptions of our people as a whole will be reinforced

9. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    As you can see, I dont know all about Mr.Cosby but I do know that earning a college degree does not always bring good fortune to all who are dedicated to acheiving there goals. I'm sure he has worked hard to achieve his position with careful planning and with his wife by his side. His attributes, to me, still does'nt give him the right to point a finger at me or to hold me responsible for the crisis that our black people are in. That's like saying, because I gave you the support from the kindness of my heart(?) I have the right to say what ever I want about you. Maybe I am making an excuse for my people by trying to understand the reasons behind the things that we do. Don't we need to narrow down the cause in order to find the solution? Dumbing down less fortunate people in a means to point a finger at what he feels is the over all problem of obtaining the solution, is another vicious attack on the identity of my people. My mother says, "you can get more bees with honey than with sour milk!") And I believe that. Although, your response helps me to look at things in another light also, I still feel sadden by his remarks. All Black people who say that they are for us aren't truly for us. Some are out just to gain a political spot in the white mans games in order to benefit themselves. Their intentions at first, may have been true, but somewhere down the path got twisted.
    However, I don't care what White people think about me, but I do care about what they say about me because this influences others whom have no knoweledge of my personal struggles to look down upon me without actually understanding the steps I must take to raise up out of bondage. As for right now what I'm doing to uplift my people is reconstruting the negative patterns in me. By telling my children who they are and what their strengths and beauties are as I learn and grow more aware. I also tell them about cause and affect. How their very own actions will make a ripple in their life. Be it positive or negative. So please do your best to be one of those positive ripples, While I also try to maintain the same. I tell them that falling is apart of the process and not to get to discouraged, but to continue to get up and continue to grow. It might not seem to be much, but this is where I'm starting. I 'm starting within me.

10. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

It is unfortunate that you feel Bill Cosby is pointing a finger at you. However I think we need to stop being so super-sensitive when one of our own gives constructive criticism. This is what this whole thread is about.

Bill Cosby has every right to make a critique of SOME black folks, just like any other group can criticize their own. This man has a Doctorate in child psychology and has written several books as well as raising 5 children with his wife. So naturally it would seem to me he does have some experience in raising children.

It's interesting that it took a comment by one person to get the type of reaction we have from our own. That tells me that we are not dealing with this issue. Instead of worrying about whether or not the enemy was present when he said it, we need to deal with the substance of his remarks. Because the truth of the matter is, we are failing our children miserably. Too many parents want their grand parents or schools to raise their kids. And it needs to stop

Peace