Black People : Misdirected Optimism ?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Hello Family and especially Brother Sun Ship.

In another thread Brother Sun Ship said the following ... "... there has developed a culture of denial, misdirected optimism and rhetorical radicalism that may be expediting the last days of a mighty people."

If you don't mind Brother Sun Ship (and everyone who has thoughts on this), would you elaborate a little bit on the misdirected optimism please? Though i'm not sure what exactly you mean, the words alone lead me to believe that i may be guilty of such. I'd like to explore it further, perhaps highlighting specific instances of it, so that i'm better able to recognize when (and if) i am doing this.

Certainly the other concerns mentioned are worthy of examinatioin as well, and are welcome to be discussed too.

As i think on "misdirected optimism" what comes to mind is the hope that some of us have for a complete blending of people's, where none are ever mistreated and everyone is thought of equally. In their hope for this, they may encourage interracial unions as a means to this end, while suggesting that those folk who mistreated our Ancestors, are now dead and we can't hold those currently living responsible. That we must forgive and forget, and move on. That's not what i am guilty of.

As i try to apply these two words to my own life, i think that i have set my hopes too high, and as a result the fall is that much greater when i realize it will never be achieved (in my lifetime). That we will not come together like we should, that we will not support each other in the fullness of the thought. That it will take hundreds more years, before we ever (if ever) realize such successes. Being overly optimistic regarding our people, may have me focusing efforts in the wrong place. If i were more realistic, i might be focusing efforts in different areas, doing something completely different. I don't know. I am thinking out loud as a result of reading those two words you shared.

Okay ... that's the thought that was generated inside of me when i read your response.

Would you mind elaborating a little bit on "misdirected optimism" please?

Thanks a Bunch.

:heart:

Destee

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,860
    Execellent thread Sister Des! I have some thoughts I'd like to share on this but I want to defer to Brother Sun Ship to give him an opportunity to explain what he meant since he's the author of the statement. After he does, I'm certain this will become a therapeutic discussion for many of us! Let's all polish our mirrors and get ready to look into them.

Peace,
    Queenie :spinstar:

3. deepy

deepy going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    okay sister nnqueen...i will wait to hear first from brother sunship also...
    but it really does have the energy of an interesting thread...

4. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    Again, the road to hell is paved with good intentions

I was sort of surprised that the phrase “misguided optimism” was pulled out of my overall comments, as I was trying to present my post as a “complete” thought, but I accept the fact that each and every statement must stand on its own merit. I never meant my comments to be taken “overly” personal or as attack on exuberant activism, enthusiastic revolutionary thinking or any optimism in general, as applied to the future of our people.

But let me focus on what I was trying to allude to and why we must be cognizant of what we say and/or believe.

First of all, I think sister Destee has a very good start on what can be perceived as “misguided optimism”, for some of the mindsets she’s mentioned have plagued the progress of our people for generations…be it, they were used via religious belief, politics or social reform.

Just to cite a recent example of this… the political campaign that is trying to pander and play on some sort of morbid and desperate idea about our condition in America, …as advertised, “VOTE OR DIE”, …though this is more about pandering to and propagandizing the “hip-hop” community, it is playing on the long standing idea that the vote alone, will save the lives of Black people and that we have a chance to keep our freedom (not “free-dom”, but “freed-om”) and reform our community every four years. Like “misguided optimism”, this slogan ignorantly plays on African Americans emotions, along with our fears and mortality (believe it or not) without any substantive information or well thought out political strategy.

It can be said, “whites go to church and thank God for what they have obtained and to pray to keep it… and that Black folks go to church to thank God for what little we have left and to pray for what we seem to never obtain” and once again the negro preacher plays on our religious/spiritual optimism and emotions, without any substantive evidence that God has unequivocally planned a reality or paradigm “specifically” for us.

If we don’t think we have been optimistically misguided, you have to look at the long history of promises and prophetic projections of our leadership.

Be it Black militancy, revolutionary radicalism, Pan African Idealism or social reform or policies, have we ever gotten anywhere near where many of our leaders have directed?

If we are to move forward, we have to painfully look at how the original ideals of our leaders and teachers have been exploited, pimped and extorted, and turned into repetitive superfluous rhetoric that has been purposely regurgitated to excite the Black masses without any real or functional constructs or institutional infrastructures.

We talk about Africa without talking about energy, roads, farming or any true social/spiritual reform of governments, institutions, cultures or the populace, this is why so many continental Africans are so upset with our approach to a “New Africa” and see our own African-centrism many times wanting and full of slogans, romanticisms and useless rationale (though I don’t always accept the way they present their dispositions).

Let me put it like this, when an architect designs a building, it must be drafted and blue-printed, structurally and mechanically engineered, resources both natural and synthetic must be found, land must be tested, surveyed and cleared, tradesmen must be trained and at the ready, tools and equipment must be available, and if any of these infrastructural links are not considered or properly investigated by the original designer, than their design, like many other great designs or ideas that never come to fruition… will easily become deemed as “misguided optimism”.

Until we stop talking about what we hope for and start dealing with Applicable Knowledge, social infrastructure and scientific design for our community, IN REAL-TIME, we will be remembered in history as some of the most misguided… optimistic…religiously faithful and Afro-romantic people who ever walked the earth.

Peace, Love and Ashe!

Brother Sun Ship :)

5. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,860
    There is nothing more that I can think to add to what Brother Sun Ship wrote. His message is clear but, hopefully, not prophetic. I'm sure that some who are rooted in their religion might disagree but could anyone deny the reality versus the "hoped for"? It takes deep reflection to fully absorb its meaning and I agree....."applicable knowledge in real-time" is critical to say the least.

Queenie :spinstar:

6. deepy

deepy going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    when one can't add anything..you just keep silent...however since we are in tech space...have to just say ditto NNqueen..sunship .......
    applicable knowledge......in real-time"...
    quite clear...

7. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122
    Misdirected Optmism = " If I have his baby, Mookie will act right and love only me"

= " Yes he's a drug dealer but he treats me nice"

= " Everybody else is doing drugs, what can it hurt"

= The data shows an 80% failure rate, but if I do it, I'll be ok

''