Black Spirituality Religion : Minster date for new Archbishop

panafrica

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
97th Archbishop of York will take place at York Minster on Wednesday. The Rt Rev John Sentamu became the first black archbishop in the Church of England when his election was confirmed at a private ceremony in October.

The Ugandan-born cleric has taken over the role from Dr David Hope, who left in February to become a parish priest.

The Lord Mayor of York will lead a civic procession through the city before the service begins at 1130 GMT.

Banish homophobia

The 56-year-old was educated in Uganda, where he practised as a barrister and was an outspoken critic of Idi Amin's regime, before coming to the UK in 1974.

He was ordained in 1979 and after serving in a succession of London parishes, he was appointed Bishop of Stepney in 1996 and Bishop of Birmingham in 2002.

The Dean of York, the Very Reverend Keith Jones, said the Minster was where Dr Sentamu would exercise his ministry of leadership, inspiration and teaching.

"Holding the ancient title of Primate of England, his influence will extend far beyond the Diocese of York, and even the Northern Province, and we look forward eagerly to welcoming him among us, and working with him in the years to come."

Dr Sentamu has already spoken of his desire to banish homophobia from the church and said his new role in the second-highest post of the Church of England was "an exciting prospect".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/4481796.stm

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Orisons Black People : The biggest financial success in your life to date is? Black People Open Forum 1
Kemetstry Black Relationships : 10 REASONS TO DATE OLDER MEN Black Relationships 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Kim Kardashian shares Kanye West album release date, after mysterious 'Jesus Is King' event, last-minute Sunday Service Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
R Black Poetry : He's hood made and get good grades wrote a girl a short letter with all sorts of clever love words ask for a date the task was great but he wanna smas Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
R Black Poetry : They kiss at the table but this fable is concerned with a cake date that went wrong so he spent time at home thinking about it alone now on the phone Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
R Black Poetry : My corrupt fate is not up-to-date twisted at the club and assisted by love see a girl wanna kiss it Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Senegal Black Relationships : Can You Be Pro Black and Date Outside the Black Race? Black Relationships 6
R Black Poetry : Vocab is great but I want some crab cake so let me grab a date Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : Alerting with bling rapping wanting a certain thing to happen like a date in VIRGINIA BEACH, must co Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
jamesfrmphilly Black Positive People : teen-takes harvard-admission letter as prom-date Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Liberty Black Relationships : Your Worst Date Black Relationships 12
Destee Black Relationships : Girls are more forward - do not wait for the Boys to ask for the first date, etc. Black Relationships 3
chuck Black People : We Got To Keep It All Up More To Date Black People Open Forum 4
Destee African Holiday : African Holidays - can you name any - along with their date / reason for celebrating? Black Events 28
MS234 Jails / Prisons : Lauryn Hill announces first post-prison tour date in New York City Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 5
rapunzal24 Black Relationships : Nice Date. Black Relationships 0
KaHotep Black Poetry : Desert Date Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
MsInterpret Black People : Dedicated to the Don't Date a Mookie Campaign Black People Open Forum 27
coey30 Black Poetry : Internet Date Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
coey30 Black Poetry : Blind Date Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
skuderjaymes Black Relationships : Why Date at all? Why not just arrange marriages between good families? Black Relationships 28
MsInterpret Black Relationships : Brothas: If she asks you out on a date.... Black Relationships 54
dunwiddat Black Relationships : My date with a man I met online Black Relationships 36
Kemetstry Black Spirituality Religion : Date of Crucifixion Verified? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 196
noor100 Black Muslims : The Exodus Date... Islam Study Group 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : I'm Black and Only Date White Women - part 1 of 5 Audio Video Web Conferencing 7
Destee Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Katt Williams - Date a President Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
K Black Astrology : The Significance of My Birth Date Black Astrology 8
MsInterpret Black Relationships : Men: Compare women you date to your mother? Black Relationships 11
howardtsu Black Poetry : The Sweetest Date Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : Going on A Date Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
P Black People : Single black women being urged to date outside race Black People Open Forum 342
Destee Black Relationships : Would You Date Someone Who Had Rats in Their House? Black Relationships 16
nevar Black Women : Would you date a man who has several kids? Black Women 84
B Black Poetry : My First date Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
S Black Poetry : My Perfect Date with You Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 19
MANASIAC Black Relationships : Brothas would you date an unemployed sista? Black Relationships 34
S Black Relationships : sisters would you date a unemployed brother? Black Relationships 69
I Black Relationships : Why is it wrong to date outside your race? Black Relationships 2
Destee Black Relationships : Would You Date an HIV Positive Person? Black Relationships 16
PoeticManifesta Black People : What date would you like to have the destee reunion? Black People Open Forum 17
4 Black Poetry : Blind Date Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 19
P Black People : Lovers died on 1st date Black People Open Forum 3
C Black Relationships : WOULD YOU DATE A WOMAN OR A MAN WITH A MENTAL DISORDER Black Relationships 37
howardtsu Black Poetry : Our First Date (Thriller Version) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
A Black Relationships : Should I tell this brother to date white women? Black Relationships 47
A Black People : Replacing the fasting date...(fasting members) Black People Open Forum 0
B Black Relationships : Would you date a guy if he lied about his age? Black Relationships 6
G Black Poetry : The Date Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
K Black People : Court Date To Be Set For Bush Black People Open Forum 6