Miles Davis

Discussion in 'Honoring Black Ancestors' started by Sun Ship, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    [​IMG]

Miles Davis

2. Sun Ship

Ratings:
    +39
    [​IMG]
    The Prince of Darkness

3. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    He was a great man, and his music is still untouchable. :peace:

4. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    The coolest MF ever hope I didn't break any forum laws with that but he is man that is my role model fa real....love him to death...have most of the recorded music

5. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    This is one man who should never be forgotten. I heard alot of his work growing up as my dad was a huge fan.....now I am too. Good post.

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    this is something we all can agree on.
    the "critics" still can't catch up to what he was putting down.
    considering all the dirt he did he still lived to be an old man.

i listen to his music every day.

BTW - i have "the critics song" by Russell Gunn up for download on limewire.

7. toylin

toylin Well-Known Member MEMBER

Security Guard
    Ratings:
    +17
    I am a Miles Davis fan. When I started listening to jazz, his "B*****s Brew" Album was the second one I purchased. Although, some people move away from his music genius and start bringing up stuff like his relationship with Cicely Tyson and how he treated her..... But his music is great. Thanks for the pics!

8. deepy

deepy going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    love the photos of this creative, ever staying ahead of the times,special toned, insane man....
    I mean insane inthe most loving way yawl...don't get testy with my humor okay

9. Sun Ship

Ratings:
    +39
    SO WHAT

The responses to this post have been beautiful. Mile Davis like many musical geniuses had a very complex personality. Unfortunately, when Black people in the public’s eye or as in Miles’ case another Black man who was way ahead of his so-called white counterparts and contemporaries and wouldn’t roll over to racism or misguided White critique, his personal life became more important than his music and he was demonized for every deviation from the norm, music or otherwise. One good example of this, is the music of John Coltrane, another musical genius, who was probably the most humble musician in the so-called Jazz idiom, but was also persecuted by White critics for his aggressive style and non-linear approach to music and/or sound. I’ve read commentaries that tried to remind the reader of his early drug abuse or some physical ailment to explain his sound and/or musical development.

MUSIC CRITICS RARELY FOCUS ON THE QUIRKY LIVES AND BIZARRE PERSONALITIES OF EUROPEAN COMPOSERS OR MUSICIANS TO EXPLAIN THEIR GENIUS OR CONTRIBUTIONS.

Also as far as sister Cicely Tyson, some musicians I know, who knew of their relationship said, she was a pretty volatile character herself, …but hey…who really knows.

It’s unfortunate when our people fall into highlighting these twisted analysis of our heroes. Whites (and some negroes) feed us a boatload of dirt on our heroes and you have to be a Historical scholar to find the dirt on theirs.

Peace,

Brother Sun Ship

P.S. - the title of this post "so what" is a Miles Davis composition. It's a cold-blooded cut...check it out.

10. deepy

deepy going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    Let the record show...Ms. Tyson took care of him when he was very ill..
    taking him to africa for spiritual and healing treatment..
    let the record show.. Ms. Tyson helped in Miles continuance for a few more creative years..
    so....whatever you hear or have heard understand,Ms. Tyson knew the genius of Miles Davis and was about keeping it alive to flourish , not caring whatever about Eurocentric writers or envious persons...it was always about the artistry of Miles...
    It still is...