Black People : Michelle Rhee Chancellor, District of Columbia Public Schools

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by excel10k, Dec 6, 2008.

1. excel10k

excel10k Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8
    Michelle Rhee Chancellor, District of Columbia Public Schools, seems to be making progress in her endeavor to reform the public school system in D.C. I personally support her efforts, but it does raise a number of questions for me. Namely, why haven't previous leaders who have promised change been effective is bringing about the change required to turn things around?

In Grand Rapids Michigan, the school system there is starting a policy that gives students an "H" instead of an "F" and giving them an opportunity to improve their grade. I like this idea if it is part of a comprehensive plan to improve student performance and inspire them to embrace strong academic performance.

There is an undeniable connection between academic performance / highest grade level earned and life time earning potential.

So, what are the opinions on improving academic performance and preparing our youth for jobs and careers in the work place? If this is not a goal, what is the alternative goal?

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    on the TV she was projected as a dynamic person saving black children. good for her. as i watched, i had the same question as you pose. why is it that blacks are always depicted as needing some good person of another, more "successful" ethnic to come along and "save" us?
    why can't we ever "save" ourselves in the eyes of the media?

obama is portrayed as being better than the rest of us because he was raised by friendly white people who taught him the good white values.

i believe this is a scam.

i believe we can and have to save ourselves or we will never be safe.

btw - this post is the first where you do not project any negativity at all and raise a valid question that we do need to address. :terrific:

3. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    michelle rhee...

i wouldn't go giving ms.rhee the keys to the city just yet,one of her ideas is to pay the students who come to school on time and get good grades[now maybe i'm just too old,but aren't kids supposed to do good in school anyhow??]this sets a bad presedent,also she is closing alot of public schools for charter schools which in some cases are worse..oh and while we're on the subject of d.c.schools it's only gonna be a matter of time before most of the blacks are gonna be out anyhow,the whites are taking d.c.back hand over fist in another 20yrs there won't be much[chocolate]left in[chocolate city].

4. excel10k

excel10k Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8
    We absolutely can save ourselves. This has been my point all along. This post really isn't any different from what I have brought up all along. I have mentioned the academic performance gap repeatedly. I did intentionally present it slightly differently because it need to be discussed without the diversions which have cropped up in previous threads.

Here is my point, there is nothing that Rhee is doing that cannot be done by a black person. Infact, it could be better received if it was done by a black person. The problem is, however, if any black person suggest radically different solutions, rather than the same old failed tactics and excuses, they are assigned labels and called names. We have to be willing to confront these issues even if it means projecting "negativity". All of the questions I have raised are no less valid than this question. I have spoke consistently on saving ourselves. I mention "negative" things, not to claim we are inherently inferior, but because we are big boys and fully capable of dealing with our problems IF WE CONFRONT THEM HEAD ON.

We have to think outside of the box. The reason the problem have not been solved previously by black leaders who have held this position is because they are using the same old failed tactics and "in the box" solutions. We have to consider that desperate times call for desperate measures. If these are not desperate times, I don't know what desperate times are.

Now, watch someone will attempt to divert from the issues at hand, which you have agreed is a valid point which needs to be addressed, and try to make it about the messenger.

IMO, Obama is not potrayed as "better than the rest of us", but is potrayed as the potential that we all possess and are fully capable of obtaining. But (here comes the negativity), we must stop self-destructive living (or condoning it), start taking ownership of our problems, and recognize that real, measureable solutions require measureable goals and most importantly a departure from tactics that are not producing results.

5. excel10k

excel10k Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8
    The goal, IMO, of paying the children is to have THEM take ownership of their education. There is nothing harder to teach than a student who has no interest in learning. Many of our children show up for school with no interest in learning. Obviously, the parents should present a student to the schools who is disciplined and motivated to learn. Unfortunately, the parents oftentimes do not fulfill their responsibility, this leaves the problem of the school system having to teach students who are dicipline problems and could care less about learning or maintaining the peace so that those students who do want to learn can have an environment to do so.

Previous leaders and tactics have failed to meet this challenge, do you have a better method of motivating students to do what have not been instilled in them by their parents? I think a swift kick in the pants might help, but that is not within the tools available to a school system anymore.

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    "we" who? i confront my problems

the issue that i have with you is your constant complaining that "we" do not confront problems. i ask, who are you talking about? i do not know anyone who is not taking responsibility. i do not know one black person who is not willing to tackle solutions. certainly everyone here is ready.

it seems to me that you are constantly setting up a straw man and beating a dead horse. this is a waste of time.

do you have any actual solutions?

do you? what are your actual solutions?

7. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    paying a kid money to go to school is a give up move,it says[WE CAN'T DO ANYTHING WITH THESE YOUNG PEOPLE AND WE'RE OUT OF IDEAS SO LETS JUST BRIBE EM WITH MONEY]no i don't have a solution but i know that giving em money is not one.

8. excel10k

excel10k Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8
    Well, lets take a look at this particular problem, education/academic performance. In what I have described as the "Cycle of self-destruction", "Education" is the second problem area for us as a race, following "Family". After the breakdown of the natural "Family" (a child and his natural, biological parents), we tend to fail to embrace or value the importance of education. (This cycle is depicted both graphically and narratively on our website). Self-perpetuating Cycle of Self-destruction

When I say "we" are not accepting "responsibility", I am speaking of the default answer to every black social condition I have heard, "racism/white supremacy" as being the root cause and the insistance that "racism/white supremacy" must be fixed in order to fix these tangible social conditions. Those who embrace the idea that racism/white supremacy must be dealt with prior to breaking the cycle of self-destruction are not accepting responsibility, but are deflecting that responsibility to an unconcerned entity. (racist white people)

We can agree to dissagree on the "root cause", but the cycle of self-destruction can and MUST be broken regardless of what is done with racism/racist white people. In the case of D.C. public schools, we have MOST of the teachers are black, Most of the administrators are black, Most of the students are black, so where does racism come in as the root cause of a rotten public school system. During segregation, students performance and discipline was not a problem.

Do I have any actual solutions? Yes, of course. They do, however, require us to think outside the box. We, like the D.C. school system, have to realize that inside the box thinking have not netted the results we need to see. They were wise enough to realize that internal leaders have not produced results. I applaud them for being willing to accept leadership from a non-black person, if they saw a trail of failures of leaders having applied inside the box tactics which have consistenly failed.

My solutions begin with the family, which is the first problem area on the cycle of destruction. Many self-destructive or self-limiting behaviors are eliminated through strong and responsible parenting. With so many of our children born OOW, we obviously have a problem in this area of the Cycle of Self-destruction.

So, one of the first steps in a comprehensive plan to save ourselves involves saving our families. We need a methodical campaign to promote and encourage nuclear families (husband, wife, & their natural/biological children) (yes, I have ideas on methods to do this as well) Next, a campaign to promote the embrace of education and striving for academic excellence through both intrensic and extrensic motivators of both students and parents. (This might even include pay for performance)

When our community bond together and send a collective message to our young people that they are our futher and that they can show pride in and support the advancement of their own people by striving for academic excellence (among other things). Furthermore, as a community, if we have community based recognition that uplifts and rewards positive brothers and sisters for their contribution to their communities for positive behaviors that work towards breaking of that cycle of self-destruction, such as opting not to behave in a manner that might produce OOW children.

Again, a comprehensive campaign that is community based and community embraced is what is necessary and realistically the only option for saving ourselves.

9. excel10k

excel10k Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8
    That seems to be a common problem for us. No one have any solutions, but everyone knows what won't work.

I agree that just giving a child money, in and of itself, may not be effective, but as part of a campaign of intrinsic and extrensic motivators all with measureable goals attached, it would be an effective tool in some cases. Not everyone is moved to action by the same factors.

10. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    Can you tell us what will work , lot of questions but never no answers
    will always be the main factor til someone come up with answers maybe
    you can tell us what works or the solution !