Khasm13 : michelle obama the slave.....

Discussion in 'Khasm13' started by Khasm13, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    Michelle Obama Slave Image: Racist Art?

A Spanish magazine's seminude homage to the first lady hits all the wrong notes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to go out on a very sane limb here and argue that Michelle Obama will probably not love this. Since the Hottentot Venuses, African women whose "exotic" features were displayed like animals in zoos in 19th-century Europe, black women's bodies have been fetishized. Their bodies weren't perceived to have emotions or feelings. They were the physical embodiment of objectification. Sure, the Portrait d'une négresse seemed to reach beyond that narrative, but it lay firmly in the era of battling ideologies over a black woman's naked body, like public turf and not private property.
    So literally painting one of the most recognizable black women into that canon is an obvious no-no. It's why Michelle Obama's nude seems more insidious than Percheron-Daniels' Photoshops of Queen Elizabeth and Princess Di. Those two women have the security blanket of a history that ostensibly sought to protect their white bodies. Michelle Obama and women who look like her have none of that.
    But why should you care? I'd never heard of Magazine de Fuera de Serie before its offensive cover landed in my inbox. I don't have to pass it at the newsstands on my way to the subway or flip through it while under the dryer at the beauty salon. It's not on my radar, but then again, it is.
    I have to live in an increasingly shrinking world in the skin I was given. I've been to Europe more than once and experienced "the eyes" that black women whisper about. The stares follow you from plaza to café to discotheque -- curious, unblinking and, most of all, hungry.

http://www.theroot.com/views/michelle-obama-slave-photo-racist-art?page=0,1&wpisrc=root_more_news

one love
    khasm

2. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Could this be due to the fact that most races are not attuned to our race's history other than a surface level?

Peace!

3. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    i think it's because deep down most white people enjoy looking at us as slaves....
    big bucks and jezabels...they like to imagine themselves having their way with us like their recent ancestors....

it's their nature...their perversions

one love
    khasm

4. bobbie

bobbie Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    spanish are racists period. always were and always will be

5. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Tur dat..

They talk all that smack but they bum rush the black section in the adult video stores. When video stores were big,some had an adult section and the black films generally stayed empty.

I know a lot of them is p..off that it's not like it was in slavery time. Who was that, Jefferson? Just think;he was so hooked that he didn't care what his wife thought, he was going to have him a sista.

Peace!

6. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    yeah...u know they love their fetishes....black people being the biggest one....unfortunately

one love
    khasm

7. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928

You ain't neva lied....Out hear where I stay at, it's like a becky feeding frenzy. And the white boys are ticked because the beckys go after the black man like we are going out of style. Burh they don't too much care how we look, just since they got a black man on their are.

Peace!

8. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    yuk!!!...brother j says yuk....

one love
    khasm

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... smh@Magazine de Fuera de Serie, Helena Andrews got it right though:

But here's what truly disgusting about London, and connects with your recent thread on Britain:
    http://destee.com/index.php?threads/22-facts-u-did-not-know-about-britians-culture.73015/

AFRICAN QUEEN

The Real Life of the Hottentot Venus.

By Rachel Holmes.
    Illustrated. 161 pp. Random House. $23.95.
    [​IMG]
    City of Westminster Archive Center, London/Bridgeman Art Library
    “Sartjee, the Hottentot Venus, Now Exhibiting in London, Drawn From Life,” read the caption on this engraving, circa 1810.

The Hottentot Venus, with buttocks of enormous size and with genitalia fabled to be equally disproportionate, was part of this human menagerie. When she arrived in London in 1810, this young woman from South Africa became an overnight sensation in London’s theater of human oddities.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/14/books/review/Elkins.t.html?_r=1

Peace In,

10. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928

I found a full view of this cover. (if you haven't seen it)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...FMTIxDpMA&sig2=LT1Ln3CUUTxOIuWMJHoEUw&cad=rja

If this was the case,why didn't she pick something more flattering. She took a slave painting and painted Michelle's face in place of the original.

Peace!