Black Sports : Michelle Obama praises Jackie Robinson movie

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071
    In the Spirit of Sports,

... Go First Lady, you on it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photo By Jacquelyn Martin

Rachel Robinson, 90, widow of baseball great Jackie Robinson attends a workshop for high school and college students with cast members of the movie "42," Tuesday, April 2, 2013, in the State Dining Room of the White House in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

Michelle Obama praises Jackie Robinson movie

WASHINGTON (AP) — Michelle Obama said Tuesday that a new movie chronicling Jackie Robinson's rise through Major League Baseball, including the racial discrimination he endured while breaking the sport's color barrier in the 1940s, left her and the president "visibly, physically moved" after they saw it over the weekend.
    The film, "42," also left the couple wondering "how on Earth did (the Robinsons) live through that. How did they do it? How did they endure the taunts and the bigotry for all of that time?" she said.
    http://movies.yahoo.com/news/michelle-obama-praises-jackie-robinson-movie-170836635--politics.html

Peace In,

2. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    You say "Michelle Obama" and you IMMEDIATELY have my attention!!!!

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071

Isn't she lovely...:hearts1:

Peace In,

4. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    This doesn't surprise me in the least. Maybe she should speak about how Jackie Robinson was used tom BREAK UP the Black Baseball League because white people back then was coming to watch our people play ball. Maybe she should speak about Jackie's son who went back to Africa and owns one of the biggest Black owned coffee plantations there and how they are trying to keep his coffee off the open market. The goal of the slave was never to work in the big house but it appears to be our goal. Michelle my @ss!!!

5. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
    Michelle didn't need to go into the turbulence past of Jackie Robinson and his family. Its true Jackie's wife and family have suffered racism but that's not what this is about... this is the story of Jackie Robinson and his story of his times in baseball and how he broke barriers. It wasn't an easy road for him and his family, but they made it...

6. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    So this is what we are supposed to be proud of??? In other words, what I'm asking is this; Are we supposed to be proud and filled with dignity all because white folks let us or include us in their scheme of things? Like; I'm the first black to live down here or I'm the first black at this job or I'm the first black they let join the team?! Sister, lets straighten something out....it was not Jackies goal to break any barriers what so ever. Back then we had OUR OWN baseball league...ALL BLACK!! White people were coming to see US PLAY. White people, being the way that they are, decided to begin using us...not only because of our ability or talent but because in doing so, they in essence destroyed what we were building for ourselves! Are we clear now???:cool:

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071

Nevertheless bro. Keita, its apart of our history now, and many share different views about what Jackie achieved or didn't achieve. As far as the First Lady, sorry, but I love her more than her husband does, lol... she's great in my book.

Thanks for the info on Jackie's son, didn't know that... Knowledge is powerful. Here's more backdrop on David and a tribute to his father:

Integrity: Sports legend Jackie Robinson taught his son that the value of a man is determined by one thing: the size of his contribution to the world. David Robinson has practiced that lesson, trading his father's baseball for something even more universal: Coffee.

[​IMG]
    Listen to David Robinson's interview with Tavis Smiley of PBS
    http://www.sweetunityfarmscoffee.com/

Peace In,

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071

Normally, you and I see eye to eye on things MsVeraisblessed, but I'm confused on what exactly Michele did wrong in your opinion, could you explain further?

Meanwhile, I'm just thankful that Rachel is still living and can verify veracity of the movie; dang she looks good to be 90 years old...

[​IMG]
    Peace In,

9. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    ANYTIME you have integration it sounds the death toll for All Black enterprises. For some reason folks see white as preferable. That is what we need to rage against. Not what JR did.

10. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
    hey clyde,...i was trying to say that michelle said nice things about jackie robinson. i was trying to tell Keita that Michelle said well enough and didn't need to go to any more details about what went down in Jackie Robinsons past. Maybe he misunderstood me too..... hell, maybe i misunderstood... *sweating*

all i'm trying to say is michelle gave a great speech and her and ms robinson looked great.. *sweating bullets*