Black Entertainment : Michael Jackson's Death - After 5 Years

This was my very first time seeing Michael Jackson (The Jackson Five). It was around 1969. To me personally, it was these day on up to the Mid 70's that he seemed to identify with Black America the most. The way Berry Gordy and Smokey Robinson eulogized him is how I"ll always remember him when he first hit the scene.

This was cut in half, I guess for copyright reasons.

True.

Michael Jackson also acknowledged his own personal list of greats: James Brown and Fred Astaire...

Wow Sister Fine, I totally stand corrected in this link you posted it shows a brother in I think it was the 40s or 50s Moonwalking!

That's 40 or so years prior to The break Dancer Turbo I was talking about!
I'm search the net now to find out more.
Lol
Its great to know how we influence each other positively

Yep!

Fred Astaire, 1935, 1936, 1951, 1953
Eleanor T. Powell, Broadway Medley 1938
John W. Sublett, 1943
Billy Bailey, Apollo 1955
James Brown, 1964

...and he gave props to them all b/c that's how humble he was...

True.

Michael Jackson also acknowledged his own personal list of greats: James Brown and Fred Astaire...

I remember seeing the part of that video of James Brown and Michael Jackson sometime in the mid-80's. When I saw James doing the moonwalk on one foot, I automatically knew where it came from. But this is my first time seeing Bill Bailey and the moonwalk. It looks like Michael put the two together. But that one footer by James Brown, I think Michael left that for James...well, he was Michaels idol.

I started a thread Wednesday on the Afro, what we also called the bush and the fro. In that thread, I gave credit to Michael Jackson, and recognized him and his brothers as the young brothers who introduced the hair-style to black mainstream, inspiring almost all the other black groups and artists, young and old, to adapt to the hairstyle, including average young and old brothers on the street like us back in the day.

The Black Power Movement started in 1967 when Stokely Carmicheal coined the term. Black people had been wearing Afroes 5 years before Michael sported an Afro and 4 years before their first hit, "I want you back":

The Afro
4603019.jpg

Mike looks 14 here. (I think the picture was taken in 1972). This is an afro, similar to the one worn by Ronald McDonald (only not dyed with the color of ketchup.) Michael's hair looks thick and healthy; not at all what it would look like 30 years later but I'll get to that in a minute. This was the early 1970s and the Black Power Movement was in. The Jacksons were not militant but any black person wearing their natural afro hair back then was supporting social change as well as the "Black is Beautiful" phrase. It was all about embracing your culture and being happy with yourself.

http://www.ajdugger.com/blog/the-evolution-of-michael-jacksons-hair

Express your admiration, but cease with the foolishness, the BOLD-FACED lie that Michael and the Jackson 5 INTRODUCED the Afro to the foot soldiers of the Civil Rights Movement and to the Black Nationalists of the post-Civil Rights era. Scheesh!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back