Black Entertainment : MICHAEL JACKSON vs PRINCE

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by oceolo, Apr 11, 2008.

1. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    I've been hearing a lot lately that Prince is a better artist than MJ . Now at this very moment and time Prince might be better because of MJ's inactivity and absence from the music world. However there can be no doubt as to who was better in their respective primes back in the 1980's.

I think the people who favor Prince are either to young to ever really have heard MJ's full lists of songs or just choose to be musical revisionist because of MJ's crazy behavior over the last 20 years. This debate has already been decided when these two were in their heyday.Michael Jackson WAS the 80's in terms of music and pop culture,his album "Thiller" was the soundtrack for that decade , but for the sake of the people who don't know lets review the facts.

Michael Jackson's "Thiller" album is still the best selling album ever, selling over 100 million copies world wide. Prince's best selling album "Purple Rain" only sold about 20 million world. MJ re-invented the music video with his landmark video for "Thiller", which is considered the best music video of all time. Can you even remember one of Prince'e videos?Mj was the first black artist to ever have his video played on MTV, back when MTV had a whites only policy. Have you been able to think of just one of Prince's videos yet? MJ is one of the best dancers and choreographers ever. Prince basically stands in one place when he performs. MJ has a good ,clear and distinctive sing voice. Prince just raps or screams to the beat of the music.

Hmmm.....MJ 5 Prince 0 . You do the math.

For all the people who still think Prince is even close to beening in Michael's league--all you have to do is listen to "1999" and "Purple Rain"(Prince's best two albums) then listen to "Off The Wall" and "Thiller"(MJ's best two albums). You will notice that a lot of Prince's song are dated and dont hold up well,so you wouldn't want to listen to that many of his songs that often if at all. Mj's song on the other hand are for the most part songs that are so good that they would be popular songs if they were released for the first time right today. In fact Michael has re-released Thiller recently and it was the number 2 album in the country in terms of sells when it debuted. Do You think Prince could have done the same with his old songs?

I think it is clear to see that Prince, eventhough a good artist in his own right could never on his best day compare to Michael Jackson.

I think Prince is more on the level of Janet Jackson rather than Michael Jackson -- but you don't have to believe me just belleve your ears.

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Michael Jackson is a showstopper true and PRINCE had his moments
    he indeed a great artist but i agree Michael was prime ribs on a plate
    they both are in different classes when it comes to there style of music
    Michael is a Legend
    Prince is a piece of History

they can't be compared

3. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    michael jackson vs. prince..

this has been somewhat of a debate since the eighties,prince is more in line with[george benson]than mj because he is a great guitarist who writes and sings whereas mj is pure singer-entertainer who's also a great songwriter when the mood hits him.

4. twision

twision Well-Known Member MEMBER

Telemetry technician
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yeah I agree this one has been done to death,but I can't understand why....they are very different. I think the only thing they may have in common is that they were two black men in the 80's who were eccentric, yet very popular. After that the similarities end (IMO).

Really it all comes down to personal taste and personal taste is objective. I don't think record sales prove who is the better artist. If that were the case may would have to say that Britney Spears (in her heyday) was far better than say..Hendrix in his. The truth is, people support certain figures in pop culture due to promotion by record companies who put the artist everywhere for that purpose. You may even say that Michael Jackson's "Thriller" was as big as it was in the 80's because the music video was relatively a new thing and his record company spent big bucks to get his videos shown...all the time. It's not to suggest that Mike's music had no substance, but "Thriller" wasn't as big as it was just because of the music...(music that Quincy Jones and Rod Temperton done a great job producing).

Another reason why this is a futile debate is the differences in the artists themselves. Prince is a musician....one of the best multi-instrumentalists in the game. He writes, produces, and sings songs not only for himself, but for other artists as well. He's produced hits for The Time, The Bangles, Vanity, Sinead O'Connor,and Chaka Khan to name a few. Michael Jackson is a first class entertainer who rewrote the game when it came to dancing and the way videos were done (allbeit it must be noted he has a lot of people to share credit with). In short Prince is more of a producer and Mike is more of a production so you can't really compare "artistry" here.

The way I see it Prince is Prince and Mike is Mike. I prefer Prince, but I ain't hatin' on Mike. They have both had an influence on the way pop music has evolved. It's also good to know that these two Icons have respect for one another...which is how it should be.

5. phynxofkemet

phynxofkemet Well-Known Member MEMBER

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    Maturity

I agree with what was said here. Record sales do not denote who is a better musician. I still enjoy much of Michael's music, but when I reached 30, I found that Prince offered my ears a deeper level of lyrics and musical acrobatics. I didn't appreciate Prince in the years of Purple Rain, but I love 3121, and some older hits like Diamonds and Pearls, The Most Beautiful Girl, etc... Definately, I think that Prince has much more music knowledge. Hands down. Mike is a great entertainer, but did not compose his own music that I know of - it was written by Q Jones and other heavies in the industry.

That's just my piece.

6. beautifulblkw

beautifulblkw Well-Known Member MEMBER

emergency medical tec. (EMT-B)
    Ratings:
    +18
    As i read this thread i felt like there were mind readers here. I 'm a child of the 80's and 90's so not totally connected with either before then, however I would have to agree. prince is my personal favorite of the two mostly because of his artistry. I can appreciate his his talent song writing instrumentals and his singing and far as mj I like his videos and his dancing.

7. carsonh

carsonh Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student, volunteer (not really a "job" i
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have to agree with phynxofkmt on the point that their similarities are few. I personally prefer mike. Like oceolo I find mike's music the more memorable and it does leave a longer impression on the listener and when it comes to an escape mike provides more so than prince. Prince like some have said is a deeper lyracist than mike, but then again thats what makes them different. Wheni need to feel good and just shake my head a little mike will never dissappoint. Prince is what i listen to when I want to sit and seriously "listen" to a pice of music or an album. But as I said i prefer mike, but i love both., how can you not:huh:

think im going to go put on some mike now:dj:

8. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    You must be young or have a bad memeory . Mike has composed several songs Including Don't stop till you get enough , Billie Jean , and Wanna be startin something . Record sales does mean something . It means more people wanted to buy Mike 's music rather than prince's music . Song writing doesnt really tell you who is better because it's up to the performer to take that music and make it come alive and Mike's onstage skills are clearly better than Prince's skills.

9. LadyLC

LadyLC Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +142
    Wow this debate has gone on for as long as I can remember. I think that both are great artist for different reasons. I will not say that one is better than the other. I love that Prince knows how to play so many instruments. And MJ is just awesome period. Both have music that I love so to me they are both great artist.

10. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    trying to compare these two music greats is like saying M.Jordan and Earl Monroe
    u can't compare them

Michael have the edge but Prince is awesome they both are music stars