Black Entertainment : MICHAEL JACKSON vs PRINCE

oceolo

Jan 25, 2005
I've been hearing a lot lately that Prince is a better artist than MJ . Now at this very moment and time Prince might be better because of MJ's inactivity and absence from the music world. However there can be no doubt as to who was better in their respective primes back in the 1980's.

I think the people who favor Prince are either to young to ever really have heard MJ's full lists of songs or just choose to be musical revisionist because of MJ's crazy behavior over the last 20 years. This debate has already been decided when these two were in their heyday.Michael Jackson WAS the 80's in terms of music and pop culture,his album "Thiller" was the soundtrack for that decade , but for the sake of the people who don't know lets review the facts.

Michael Jackson's "Thiller" album is still the best selling album ever, selling over 100 million copies world wide. Prince's best selling album "Purple Rain" only sold about 20 million world. MJ re-invented the music video with his landmark video for "Thiller", which is considered the best music video of all time. Can you even remember one of Prince'e videos?Mj was the first black artist to ever have his video played on MTV, back when MTV had a whites only policy. Have you been able to think of just one of Prince's videos yet? MJ is one of the best dancers and choreographers ever. Prince basically stands in one place when he performs. MJ has a good ,clear and distinctive sing voice. Prince just raps or screams to the beat of the music.

Hmmm.....MJ 5 Prince 0 . You do the math.

For all the people who still think Prince is even close to beening in Michael's league--all you have to do is listen to "1999" and "Purple Rain"(Prince's best two albums) then listen to "Off The Wall" and "Thiller"(MJ's best two albums). You will notice that a lot of Prince's song are dated and dont hold up well,so you wouldn't want to listen to that many of his songs that often if at all. Mj's song on the other hand are for the most part songs that are so good that they would be popular songs if they were released for the first time right today. In fact Michael has re-released Thiller recently and it was the number 2 album in the country in terms of sells when it debuted. Do You think Prince could have done the same with his old songs?

I think it is clear to see that Prince, eventhough a good artist in his own right could never on his best day compare to Michael Jackson.

I think Prince is more on the level of Janet Jackson rather than Michael Jackson -- but you don't have to believe me just belleve your ears.

$$RICH$$

Lyon King Admin.
STAFF
Mar 21, 2001
Da~WINDY*CITY //CHICAGO
Occupation
BUSINESS owner
Michael Jackson is a showstopper true and PRINCE had his moments
he indeed a great artist but i agree Michael was prime ribs on a plate
they both are in different classes when it comes to there style of music
Michael is a Legend
Prince is a piece of History

they can't be compared

oldiesman

Feb 9, 2006
michael jackson vs. prince..

this has been somewhat of a debate since the eighties,prince is more in line with[george benson]than mj because he is a great guitarist who writes and sings whereas mj is pure singer-entertainer who's also a great songwriter when the mood hits him.

twision

May 26, 2003
Somewhere in the dirty, dirty
Occupation
Telemetry technician
Yeah I agree this one has been done to death,but I can't understand why....they are very different. I think the only thing they may have in common is that they were two black men in the 80's who were eccentric, yet very popular. After that the similarities end (IMO).

Really it all comes down to personal taste and personal taste is objective. I don't think record sales prove who is the better artist. If that were the case may would have to say that Britney Spears (in her heyday) was far better than say..Hendrix in his. The truth is, people support certain figures in pop culture due to promotion by record companies who put the artist everywhere for that purpose. You may even say that Michael Jackson's "Thriller" was as big as it was in the 80's because the music video was relatively a new thing and his record company spent big bucks to get his videos shown...all the time. It's not to suggest that Mike's music had no substance, but "Thriller" wasn't as big as it was just because of the music...(music that Quincy Jones and Rod Temperton done a great job producing).

Another reason why this is a futile debate is the differences in the artists themselves. Prince is a musician....one of the best multi-instrumentalists in the game. He writes, produces, and sings songs not only for himself, but for other artists as well. He's produced hits for The Time, The Bangles, Vanity, Sinead O'Connor,and Chaka Khan to name a few. Michael Jackson is a first class entertainer who rewrote the game when it came to dancing and the way videos were done (allbeit it must be noted he has a lot of people to share credit with). In short Prince is more of a producer and Mike is more of a production so you can't really compare "artistry" here.

The way I see it Prince is Prince and Mike is Mike. I prefer Prince, but I ain't hatin' on Mike. They have both had an influence on the way pop music has evolved. It's also good to know that these two Icons have respect for one another...which is how it should be.

phynxofkemet

Jan 11, 2008
eartH (Heart) is my home
Occupation
child care provider
Maturity

Yeah I agree this one has been done to death,but I can't understand why....they are very different. I think the only thing they may have in common is that they were two black men in the 80's who were eccentric, yet very popular. After that the similarities end (IMO).

Really it all comes down to personal taste and personal taste is objective. I don't think record sales prove who is the better artist. If that were the case may would have to say that Britney Spears (in her heyday) was far better than say..Hendrix in his. The truth is, people support certain figures in pop culture due to promotion by record companies who put the artist everywhere for that purpose. You may even say that Michael Jackson's "Thriller" was as big as it was in the 80's because the music video was relatively a new thing and his record company spent big bucks to get his videos shown...all the time. It's not to suggest that Mike's music had no substance, but "Thriller" wasn't as big as it was just because of the music...(music that Quincy Jones and Rod Temperton done a great job producing).

Another reason why this is a futile debate is the differences in the artists themselves. Prince is a musician....one of the best multi-instrumentalists in the game. He writes, produces, and sings songs not only for himself, but for other artists as well. He's produced hits for The Time, The Bangles, Vanity, Sinead O'Connor,and Chaka Khan to name a few. Michael Jackson is a first class entertainer who rewrote the game when it came to dancing and the way videos were done (allbeit it must be noted he has a lot of people to share credit with). In short Prince is more of a producer and Mike is more of a production so you can't really compare "artistry" here.

The way I see it Prince is Prince and Mike is Mike. I prefer Prince, but I ain't hatin' on Mike. They have both had an influence on the way pop music has evolved. It's also good to know that these two Icons have respect for one another...which is how it should be.
I agree with what was said here. Record sales do not denote who is a better musician. I still enjoy much of Michael's music, but when I reached 30, I found that Prince offered my ears a deeper level of lyrics and musical acrobatics. I didn't appreciate Prince in the years of Purple Rain, but I love 3121, and some older hits like Diamonds and Pearls, The Most Beautiful Girl, etc... Definately, I think that Prince has much more music knowledge. Hands down. Mike is a great entertainer, but did not compose his own music that I know of - it was written by Q Jones and other heavies in the industry.

That's just my piece.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Lrae Black Entertainment : Prince Jackson is admitting it ... there's a chance Michael Jackson isn't his biological parent Black Entertainment 9
O Black Entertainment : Michael Jackson (Impersonation for Kids) Black Entertainment 0
Perfection Black People Politics : In Context Series: The Labors of Michael Jackson-- Virtuosity, Deindustrialization, and Dancing Work Black People Politics 0
IFE Black Entertainment : Has Beyonce surpassed Michael Jackson Black Entertainment 8
Liberty Black Entertainment : New TV show where white actor Joseph Fiennes plays Michael Jackson Black Entertainment 5
Writspirit Black People : NJPAC Remembers Michael Jackson with A “MJ Day” Black People Open Forum 0
Writspirit Black People : "Invincible" Returns to NJPAC for Michael Jackson Day Black People Open Forum 0
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : JOSEPH FIENNES TO PLAY MICHAEL JACKSON Black Entertainment 18
Writspirit Black People : Michael Jackson Tribute Show at NJPAC and Apollo Theater Black People Open Forum 0
Writspirit Black People : Tickets Go On Sale Feb 19-20 For Michael Jackson June Tribute Black People Open Forum 0
Fine1952 Black Entertainment : HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MICHAEL JACKSON Black Entertainment 79
Fine1952 Black Entertainment : Michael Jackson's Death - After 5 Years Black Entertainment 31
1poetsought Black Entertainment : Michael Jackson’s “Love Never Felt So Good” video - The Big L Black Entertainment 0
PurpleMoons Black Entertainment : Michael Jackson's White Glove Bought with Public Funds? Black Entertainment 2
jamesfrmphilly Black Entertainment : Michael Jackson was totally sleep-deprived before death Black Entertainment 0
M The Front Porch : i love michael jackson how about you The Front Porch 1
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : Michael Jackson - Dirty Diana Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : human nature - michael jackson Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Dre Money Black People : Michael Jackson's Vitiligo Confirmed BUT Black People Open Forum 6
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Michael Jackson - Remember The Time Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Michael Jackson - Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Michael Jackson - Bad Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
OldSoul Audio Video Web Conferencing : Smooth Criminal - Michael Jackson (Full Video) Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
T Black People : Michael Jackson killed by CIA Black People Open Forum 16
B Black Entertainment : Spike Lee On Michael Jackson Black Entertainment 3
H Poetry Critiques : Broken Hearts, IM Michael Jackson Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
SpiritualONE Black People : Who Killed Michael Jackson? Black People Open Forum 13
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Michael Jackson Murdered by CIA??? Black People Open Forum 32
K Black People : FBI file on Michael Jackson shows investigations into molestation..extortion Black People Open Forum 1
7 Black Authors : MICHAEL JACKSON – Poetry for the King Short Stories - Authors - Writing 0
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : Seeing, Not Looking, At Michael Jackson Chief Elder Osiris 0
HODEE Black Entertainment : Great Michael Jackson Video.. His Last Support of Fact! Black Entertainment 1
river Black People : Did Michael Jackson Hate Being Black? Listen to His Own Words Black People Open Forum 44
river Black People : Recording of Michael Jackson's Memorial Service Live Black People Open Forum 7
A Black Poetry : ""The HAT ""........( tribute to one of my musical insparations,Michael jackson) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
B Black Entertainment : A map showing Michael Jackson's influence over the music industry Black Entertainment 0
river Black People : I Put Michael Jackson on the Ourstory Page Black People Open Forum 0
river Black Poetry : Who Killed Michael Jackson? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
I Black Spirituality Religion : Was Michael Jackson Death A Illuminati Ritual. Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 12
river Black People : Tribute to Michael Jackson Recorded Black People Open Forum 0
SpiritualONE Black People : Michael Jackson Was Hounded To Death Black People Open Forum 4
river Black People : Michael Jackson Heal the World video Black People Open Forum 0
Destee Law Forum : Police Looking For Michael Jackson's Doctor Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
R Black Poetry : MICHAEL JACKSON #1 Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
PurpleMoons Black Entertainment : Michael Jackson, pop music legend, dies at 50 Black Entertainment 6
cherryblossom Black People : Michael Jackson: 1958 - 2009 Black People Open Forum 28
B Black People : Is Michael Jackson on His Death Bed? Black People Open Forum 7
C Black Entertainment : Michael Jackson new album Black Entertainment 8
D Black Entertainment : Michael Jackson confirms conversion to Islam Black Entertainment 5
D Black Entertainment : Michael Jackson has new song with Pras Black Entertainment 3