Black People Politics : Michael Eric Dyson: Crab in a Barrel

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by RAPTOR, Apr 23, 2015.

1. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097
    by
    Margaret Kimberley

Michael Eric Dyson wasn’t just defending President Obama when he unleashed his torrential rant
    against Cornel West. Dyson was demonstrating his loyalty to Power, in general. “Dyson’s infantile
    need to reveal personal details about his one-time friend is based on his own vindictiveness but also
    on a desire to stay in the good graces of the powerful people West has admonished.”

He stands with our enemies against one of our champions.”

How does one dissect Michael Eric Dyson’s 10,000-word screed against Cornel West? Not only is the
    attack purely personal, an act of bitter malice, but Dyson uses The New Republic, an openly racist
    organ, as his platform. Dyson and other critics rarely take on the substance of West’s statements.

Read more: http://www.blackagendareport.com/dyson-crab-in-a-barrel

2. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097

Democracy Now - "As President Obama accepts the Democratic nomination to seek four
    more years in the White House, we host a debate on his presidency with Glen Ford of
    Black Agenda Report and Michael Eric Dyson, professor at Georgetown University and
    author of numerous books. Ford calls Obama the "more effective evil" for embracing
    right-wing policies and neutralizing effective opposition, while Dyson argues Obama
    provides the best and obvious choice for progressive change within the confines of the
    U.S. political system."
    http://www.democracynow.org/2012/9/7/effective_evil_or_progressives_best_hope

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    barrels are not the natural habitat of crabs.......

4. frankster

frankster Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +133
    It would appear.
    Glen Ford is defending Truth
    Micheal Dyson is defending Blackness (Negritude - Authentically Black)

It brings to mind the bible passage : - All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

5. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097
    Trip down memory lane:

"Don't mistake cultural [racial-appearance] pride for political accountability" (5:45)

...Yet I still appreciate the work he has done
    regarding dr. cosby.

6. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Come to think of it, both Al Sharpton and Dyson hosted shows on MSNBC/Comcast

Check these comments in 2010 from Dyson... before they got the "gag order" to not speak ill about Obama or they would not be on MSNBC anymore.

Dyson even referred to him as "Mr. Obama"... which is a way of rejecting a so called pResident by replacing his rank and file with a surname.

Dr. Michael Eric Dyson: Obama isn't Moses, he is Pharaoh

Didn't even consider this until Dyson mentions he knew Obama long before anyone in 1991

Obama and Dyson were in Wright's church together, so maybe it's a personal squabble, but...

Dyson was standing with West and saying the same things in 2010 as West was saying, so what happened in 2011 to present?

Go back to the Comcast lawsuit and the allegations inside it... MSNBC/Comcast paid Sharpton to not talk about Obama in 2011, and that was a memorandum for all Comcast employees.

After the 2011 lock down of MSNBC employees and staff, things changed:

Notice, no more criticizing Obama, even defending him while being attacked on ABC
    Both Sharpton and Dyson has been called on this, just so happens they are both employed by MSNBC/Comcast.

Just something to consider

Wonder if this is why Dyson continues to go at West, which is almost demented-like, when West brings up the same things he brings up with any other head of state... black, brown, yellow. or white. West just probably had a front seat view of the okey-doke.

After reading snippets for Dyson's online book (so called article; that piece was hella-long!), it seems that it was more of an attack on West and how Dyson thinks he felt jilted by Obama. I would too if I put in work that contributed some to the success and victory of someone else, and not be invited to the celebration???

The look is more from West is: Why does Obama keep dissing pro-black organizations or black empowerment movements, to go tap dance for his handlers... which many can see, and understand.

If West brings up valid points (some of the same points from Dyson in 2010), does Dyson address any of those in the long-winded diatribe called an article, which does more to discuss West's history than why Dyson feels his comments are not validated by the very fact that Dyson clams up on any sort of critical thinking when it comes to "Pharaoh"?

Not sure if he did, wasn't wasting time reading a book that was posing as an article (damm still can't get over how long that piece was!).

MSNBC’s Michael Eric Dyson: My Takedown of Cornel West ‘Vital and Necessary’

Can't wait to see what's comes out of the Comcast/Byron Allen lawsuit to see if these hosts are really paid off to support Obama vigorously regardless of what is going on.

7. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097
  8. IFE

IFE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +551
    I use to love Cornel West and his books. I watched from start to now his attacks on Obama. Some of his attacks were vindictive in nature. Every citizen has the right to express their opinion.

I know longer love Dr. West. Not because of the things he said about Obama, but because he acted like an idiot. I bought his last book Hope on a Tight Rope(2008), in 2009.

I'm so disappointed in my friend that he showed such hate. If only he had remained dignified in his opposition, instead of always being wild and angry.

I believe he has lost some supporters of those who buy $$$ his books. He's lost me, with great sadness.

9. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148
    It is unfortunate that this feud has become public. But West bares a lot of blame. He started this.

I wish it could have just been between the two men. It is not as your title describes

10. CosmicMessenger

CosmicMessenger Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +945
    Some black men ain't got nothin' better to do than hate on other black men all day.

Like the swine, let them wallow in the mire of their own self hate.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015