Black People : Mexican Stamps Renew Racial Tension

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by diakonos, Jun 30, 2005.

1. diakonos

diakonos Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Let’s see if we get an apology for this one.

“U.S. activists called on the Mexican government to withdraw a postage stamp depicting an exaggerated black cartoon character known as Memin Pinguin, saying the offence was worse than recent remarks about blacks made by President Vicente Fox.”

What was Mexico’s response?

“Mexico defended the series of five stamps released Wednesday, which depicts a child character from a comic book started in the 1940s that is still published in Mexico.”
    Mexico insisted that like Speedy Gonzalez - a cartoon mouse with a Mexican accent, aired in the US - Memin Pinguin should not be seen as a racial slur.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4637943.stm

2. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    i missed fox's comments. all in all mexicans are just another enemey to the african race. i wish i could smack this punk in the head.

one

3. MrSolo

MrSolo Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    No, Mexicans aren't the enemy, and no - their is no such thing as the African race; verbatim. African "culture" yes, race no. And, the most potent enemy of the so-called SIAA (Self-Identifying African American) is itself.

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    There is both an African culture and a African race. If you don't think so, I'd like you to prove it. As for this topic, Mexico has a problem with racism, as most Spanish based cultures do. The class structure of Mexico is established along racial and ethnic lines. Anyone who knows Mexico's culture (not just what you see on TV), will clearly notice that those who most closely resemble their European-Spaniard colonizers dominate both Mexican politics and media. Those with a more indigenous Native American or African features are at the bottom of the social-economic ladder. Mexico's President Fox, previously stated in his defense over his comments about Mexicans doing jobs black Americans won't do that, "Jokes are made in his country about skin tone all the time". That is true, Racism is so entrenched in his country, he can't see where we're coming from.

5. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    while you defend them, the hate your guts. no that does not mean all mexicans, but many are brainwashees of europeanalized thought. which is hatred for people of color, in lieu of monitary gain.

Not only mexico as Pan stated, but most central/south american countries are embedded with racism. Again they learned from the best more like the worst, the dirtiest..the spanish.

The siaa? Mr. solo where r u from?> Yo are telling me aa's are an enemey to black people??? i say the shap (self hating african person) is all most as big an enemey as whites, arabs, latinos, asians, and some mixed persons.

6. diakonos

diakonos Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    You don’t have to consider Mexicans our enemies. Just be honest about how disrespectful their actions (and the actions of their leader) have been towards us lately. President Fox has been lobbying the U.S. to change our immigration laws to make it easier for Mexicans to come into our country. Yet, look at the contempt that they show towards an important part of the American electorate. Their behavior does not show that they respect us, or what we bring to the table politically.

7. bigtown

bigtown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    Let's hear it for our mexican "brothers"

8. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Mexico is the only country I've ever heard of that hates its indigenous people so much that they beg another country to take them.

What does Speedy Gonzalos have to do with us? If it's about retaliation why don't they have a stamp with sunburned goofy ofays? Why don't they show how white men can't jump?

America isn't begging them to take us and as much racism as we face here none of us is in a hurry to go there.

9. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I for one never try to make racist people apologize for racism...they don't care, and only an idiot thinks otherwise. If anything knowing how people feel about you can serve to unify...a call to arms so to speak. Let this Racist Stamp & El Presidente Fox's statements serve as a notice to our inept Black Politicans: These people do not consider themselves our allies, they are using you for political gain. Stop fighting for people who don't care about you. Use your positions to work for the people who put you into office in the 1st place.

10. bigtown

bigtown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    Isn't it interesting that mexicans are the only foreigners that move to another country (most illegaly) and instead of learning that countrys' language, they expect that countrys' citizens to speak their language. They are an arrogant people. This latest insult and non apologetic attitude doesn't surprise me at all.

That's my "BIG" opinion.