Black People : Mexican Stamps Renew Racial Tension

diakonos

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 13, 2004
Let’s see if we get an apology for this one.

“U.S. activists called on the Mexican government to withdraw a postage stamp depicting an exaggerated black cartoon character known as Memin Pinguin, saying the offence was worse than recent remarks about blacks made by President Vicente Fox.”

What was Mexico’s response?

“Mexico defended the series of five stamps released Wednesday, which depicts a child character from a comic book started in the 1940s that is still published in Mexico.”
Mexico insisted that like Speedy Gonzalez - a cartoon mouse with a Mexican accent, aired in the US - Memin Pinguin should not be seen as a racial slur.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4637943.stm

diakonos said:
Let’s see if we get an apology for this one.

“U.S. activists called on the Mexican government to withdraw a postage stamp depicting an exaggerated black cartoon character known as Memin Pinguin, saying the offence was worse than recent remarks about blacks made by President Vicente Fox.”

What was Mexico’s response?

“Mexico defended the series of five stamps released Wednesday, which depicts a child character from a comic book started in the 1940s that is still published in Mexico.”
Mexico insisted that like Speedy Gonzalez - a cartoon mouse with a Mexican accent, aired in the US - Memin Pinguin should not be seen as a racial slur.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4637943.stm

i missed fox's comments. all in all mexicans are just another enemey to the african race. i wish i could smack this punk in the head.

one

Therious said:
i missed fox's comments. all in all mexicans are just another enemey to the african race. i wish i could smack this punk in the head.

one
No, Mexicans aren't the enemy, and no - their is no such thing as the African race; verbatim. African "culture" yes, race no. And, the most potent enemy of the so-called SIAA (Self-Identifying African American) is itself.

MrSolo said:
No, Mexicans aren't the enemy, and no - their is no such thing as the African race; verbatim. African "culture" yes, race no. And, the most potent enemy of the so-called SIAA (Self-Identifying African American) is itself.

There is both an African culture and a African race. If you don't think so, I'd like you to prove it. As for this topic, Mexico has a problem with racism, as most Spanish based cultures do. The class structure of Mexico is established along racial and ethnic lines. Anyone who knows Mexico's culture (not just what you see on TV), will clearly notice that those who most closely resemble their European-Spaniard colonizers dominate both Mexican politics and media. Those with a more indigenous Native American or African features are at the bottom of the social-economic ladder. Mexico's President Fox, previously stated in his defense over his comments about Mexicans doing jobs black Americans won't do that, "Jokes are made in his country about skin tone all the time". That is true, Racism is so entrenched in his country, he can't see where we're coming from.

MrSolo said:

while you defend them, the hate your guts. no that does not mean all mexicans, but many are brainwashees of europeanalized thought. which is hatred for people of color, in lieu of monitary gain.

Not only mexico as Pan stated, but most central/south american countries are embedded with racism. Again they learned from the best more like the worst, the dirtiest..the spanish.

The siaa? Mr. solo where r u from?> Yo are telling me aa's are an enemey to black people??? i say the shap (self hating african person) is all most as big an enemey as whites, arabs, latinos, asians, and some mixed persons.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back