Metu Neter - Vols I - II - III : Metu Neter Book Descussion - Chapter One

Hello Family,

I'm here at this school and a lady finally showed me how to disable the program that was making it impossible for me to log on and post here. My time will be limited because of my classes and stuff but I'm glad to see y'all working on the Metu Neter here.

1. What are some characteristics of religions created by left brain societies?

As Sun of Ra indicates the major characteristic is separation. As Jesus said he did not come to bring peace but a sword of separation. In this separation is a false valuation and judgement of the one thing that is separated from the other--light from darkness, Jews from Gentiles, Christians from everybody else, Whites from everybody else. In a world supposedly created by one God only a small number of things actually have God's approval.

Samura answerted question 2 succinctly.

3. The religions of right brain societies I would say are basically designed to prepare the sahu to move towards the spiritual Ba understanding and experience. Unlike in western societies religion in Africa is a starting place--a doorway rather than something to die with.

I would have to say that according to Amen's definition of religion and based on what I just said above a right brained society does still need that starting place since people aren't born with a natural inclination to pursue truly spiritual endeavors (denying the desires of the flesh, intuitive learning etc.). As Amen says humans remain in the Sahu stage until around age 28. If there is no means to tie people back until they reach that age much damage can be done to themselves and to society.

Brother Sam, I feel ya on trance and ancestors. My curiosity is getting the best of my fear which is turning into a healthy resect for the serousness and consequences of these entities. Amen affirms my apprehension in a later chapter when he admonishes readers not to try these things without a teacher. To me a teacher means someone who has been there and done that. At the same time I am eager to attain the understanding and spirutal depth that trannce and ancestor communication bring.

river said:
Here are the questions to facilitate the discussion of chapter one. Again let me remind you that this thread will be dedicated to the first chapter. To avoid confucion and keep the integrity of the structure of thos discuss please do not discuss and other section of the bood in this thread unless you're making a brief mention as it relates to this section.

Please read the chapter before joining the discussions. It would also be helpful if you jot down your ideas beforehand so everyone will have something to bring to the table thus reducing the occurance of "group think." During the discussion you may change your ideas but first have some ideas to change.

Your answers should be substantiated by what is in the book. However they can also show your own independent thoughts.

2. Can a left brain society develop itself spiritually?

3. What are the characteristics of religions created by a right brain society?

4. Does a right brain society need religion based on Amen's definition of the word?

5. What are your initial feelings or conceptions about trance? Ancestors?

According to the book, the left side of our brains appeals to the analytical and logical aspect of our psyche. It helps us operate more on the primal/physical level. In small doses this is good... it helps us concentrate on a problem at hand and tends to help foster technological development. In large doeses, however, it is detrimental because it hinders growth of the right more spiritual side of our brains.

Thus, religions created left-brained societies are void of individual spirituality. Their vision of God and the astral plane while somewhat 'logical' are rigid and do not take into account the' gray' area of life. They stifle spiritual progress because a person is not allowed to think for themselves. People influenced by a left-brained religion are doomed to be trapped in a delusion unless something phenemonal gets them to see the light.

2. Can a left brain society develop itself spiritually?

Yes, if there is an appropriate balance of right-brained thought.

It is interesting how for most of God's living, animalistic creation the feminine (right-brain) and masculine (left-brain), must unite to continue a species existence. So, if one wants to use nature as the basis of philosophy, then one can surmise that being left-brained is not bad, nor is being right-brained. It's the absence of unity with the opposite half that is the problem.

However, being solely left-brain shuts off the possibility of accepting right-brained thought. So essentially such a society is closing itself off to learning how it can grow spiritually, since you need the right-brain to maintain healthy spirituality. This is not the case with a solely right-brained society who would be able to consider left-brained thoughts if they felt it would improve their existence.

3. What are the characteristics of religions created by a right brain society?

The right brain is responsible for our spiritual side. It helps foster creative thought along with emotional expression. Women, (perhaps because of our responsibility in bearing children), tend to be more right-brained then men. This is why religions in right-brained societies honor women through worship of various goddesses.

Right-brained religions also encourage individual spirituality. This includes meditation and trance states, where a person can either get more of their own thoughts to solve a problem or even visit the astral realm and get a revelation from an ancestor.

Right-brained religions also tend to promote harmony with the earth and nature.

4. Does a right brain society need religion based on Amen's definition of the word?

No, they don't. Religion is a set of principles established by someone else on how you should express your spirituality. Religion based on right-brained societies encourage individual expression. So what they teach is not their philosophy on how you should live but rather, instructions on how to achieve a deeper level of spirituality. A true right-brain religion would not advocate the message that one MUST do or not do a certain thing to achieve spiritual peace.

5. What are your initial feelings or conceptions about trance? Ancestors?

These elements of spirituality are even more important to explore for independent spiritualists stuck in a left-brained culture. They are interesting in that though they are spiritual in nature, they appeal enough to our left-brain 'logical' side that we feel it is real. Like James was saying, it helps you actually see 'something'.

The downside is that it could be dangerous only because there are evil spirits in the astral plane that want to leech on our energy. Our exposure to these spirits is probably worse due to the fact that we have been poisoned by a left-brained culture.... trance and ancestors are of the devil. And unfortunately, if a beginner tries these things and experiences something bad, they may revert back to the harmful left-brained religions that caused them to be more suspectible to such experiences in the first place. So, if one does embark in this, they should be grounded in their beliefs and realize that just because something bad happens in their spiritual experience doesn't mean their spiritual system, (in this case Kemetician theology) is evil.

jamesfrmphilly said:
as people do not reach a spiritual maturity until 28 is it wise to marry before then?
should courtship and procreation be based on the sahu?

Most people in American culture nowadays are marrying later than that because they want to get their career established.

Now whether it should be this way... who knows. Culturally it is not likely for many societies because the desire for sex/procreation comes before maturity.