Metu Neter - Vols I - II - III : Metu Neter Book Descussion - Chapter One

river

Watch Her Flow
REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
Here are the questions to facilitate the discussion of chapter one. Again let me remind you that this thread will be dedicated to the first chapter. To avoid confucion and keep the integrity of the structure of thos discuss please do not discuss and other section of the bood in this thread unless you're making a brief mention as it relates to this section.

Please read the chapter before joining the discussions. It would also be helpful if you jot down your ideas beforehand so everyone will have something to bring to the table thus reducing the occurance of "group think." During the discussion you may change your ideas but first have some ideas to change.

Your answers should be substantiated by what is in the book. However they can also show your own independent thoughts.

1. What are some characteristics of religions created by left brain societies?

2. Can a left brain society develop itself spiritually?

3. What are the characteristics of religions created by a right brain society?

4. Does a right brain society need religion based on Amen's definition of the word?

5. What are your initial feelings or conceptions about trance? Ancestors?

One important characteristic of religions created by left-brain societies is the separation of the feminine aspect of the Creator. By denying the feminine principle in left-brained culture (i.e. western), it stemmed over into their religious doctrines. As a result, instead of having a dual aspect of the one "God", you only have one, the masculine principle. An example is shown in Christianity, where you have a supreme being (god) who is ALWAYS referred to as a man.

Another characteristic is the lack of a "cultivation system" within the religion that enhances the moral behavior of a person's being. Western religions are big on sermons and singing hymns, which is good. But hearing sermons and singing hymns will do nothing to correct the behavior of a person who is influenced by his/her emotions. There must be some meditation techniques implemented in that religion that helps to cultivate one's spirit.

There must be a balancement with the "right-brain" in order for this to occur. We currently live in a left-brain society and have been for centuries. A left-brained society segregates, separates and ultimately annihilates. A left-brain society is also one that does not know about creating and maintaining order because it is focused on the "external part of being". It is directed outside of itself for guidance on morality and spirituality. The major religions in left-brained societies rely heavily on holy books, scriptures and holy men (ministers, bishops, popes, Imams, etc.) for guidance. How can a "left-brained" society become spiritual when it's hypocritical acts in the world goes against the moral values it preaches?

In right-brained societies, the Supreme Being was always revered as a balancement between male and female. The Supreme Being was seen as two halves of the Divine whole, or the great "God" and great "Goddess". In ancient Kamit, all throughout the temples and sacred writings(eg. Mdw Ntr), you will find the names of Amen and Amenet, which signifies "God and Goddess" as one Divine entity.

It was widely known that the Great mother and Great father was ONE divine entity. It was the European biasness, chauvanism, and misunderstanding which led to the one God being a "he". God represents both masculine and feminine energy. In the subjective realm, there is "nothingness" or "consciousness aware of being conscious". This divine energy has experience in the objective realm as plants, animals, people, rocks, air, etc.

The religions of the "right-brained" cultures share in common the relationship to the whole and unification. Intuition and trance was/is used as a means for spiritual guidance instead of relying solely on scriptures and sermons. For example, in Africa, all of our ancestral traditions are rooted in the ritual incorporation of 'Divine Law' and the ritual restoration of 'Divine Balance'. This is the essence of African ancestral religion. All of our cultural expressions reflect this: the nature of our clothing, our names, our languages, the designs of our homes, shrines, temples, villages, our food selections and preparations, observances of taboos, our ceremonies, songs, dances, use of oils, incense, stones, gems, plants, animals, etc.

4. Does a right brain society need religion based on Amen's definition of the word?

The word religion is composed of the prefix "re" (again, back) and legion (ligare, legein), which means to "tie back, reconnect, yoke, etc". Just by the prefix "re", there is an implication of unifying people back to something they originally had. Being that one of the functions of the right-brain is unification, there is no need to "tie back" or "reconnect" to something that has been lost. Religions in western societies are efforts made by left-brained cultures to mimic the spirituality of right-brained cultures.

By being proficient in trance, it gives one the ability to communicate into the subjective realm with the ancestors. We built rituals and shrines in order to establish communication with them as a means of obtaining direction in our lives. Communicating with our ancestors through trance has helped Africans truly understand the nature of wo/man. They are the living proof that there is life after death. Some cultures have falsely classified our communication with the ancestors as "ancestor worship". For the record, we (Africans) have never worshipped our ancestors. The concept of so-called "ancesor worship" was conceived by westerners and not by Africans.

Htp.u

i have been reading and trying to learn how to meditate.
i do not consider it religious.
i do not think of myself as being a religious person.

to me religion means believing in something that you cannot see.

i expect to see something.
if i do not then i will have to reject it.
i am exploring to see if there is a practical energy that will work.

jamesfrmphilly said:
i have been reading and trying to learn how to meditate.
i do not consider it religious.
i do not think of myself as being a religious person.

to me religion means believing in something that you cannot see.

i expect to see something.
if i do not then i will have to reject it.
i am exploring to see if there is a practical energy that will work

That's deep. I agree 100%.

river said:

Christianity.

Not without a prerequisite of understandings that cater mainly to the right side.

Buddhism, Hinduism, Metu Neter, Ifa, Yoruba.........Most native spiritual systems are right-side substantiated.

Baded keenly on that definition, not at all. We have to always remember what religion is, where it came from, and who perpetuates it.

Initiatially (re: prior to having an in-depth knowledge), these things were to be respected, if not equally feared.

Now, I understand that these things are intrinsic to spiritual development.

HOTEPET