MESSAGE TO YOUNG BLACK MEN

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by OmowaleX, Jan 23, 2006.

1. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    How are you living? Do you have LOVE for Black people? How is this LOVE demonstrated in your WALK in Life? Are you all TALK or a MAN of Action? Are you hearing my questions today or are you reacting to what I ask? Why do some of you blame your Elders for your condition in Life? Before you blame others, are you taking advantange of every opportunity for advancement which has been afforded you?

If the answer to my last question is no, then you have no one to blame for the condition in which you find yourself. It is not the fault of your mother, your father, or your extended family if you, as a person, are a failure in life. If you are not able to secure meaningful employment what job skills have you obtained training for?

The way I was raised, I was taught to have respect for my Elders and that was one line that I was taught to never cross. If you were not raised in the same manner, then that says a lot about your upbringing, not mine.

I was taught to stand straight, pull myself up by my own efforts and that grooming is important. Do not blame me if you are shiftless, a slouch, a slacker, or choose to be a teenis shoe pimp with role models such as 50 cent or Jay Z. If you think it is cool to walk with your *** showing and with your slacks hanging to your knees don't blame me for your bad taste in fashion because your statement makes you a follow fashion monkey mimicking a studio gangster.

If you think that you have no right to respect your Elders and that it is the job of Elders to gain your respect...think again.

I don't owe you a **** thing. I have put in my time and have made it against all adversity and survived long enough to be considered by some to be an Elder. I have survived because of the RESPECT that I demonstrated to My ELDERS and it is with their Blessings that I have survived when so many of my peers have passed on to their various "THUG MANSIONS".

A sister told me last night to "Man Up" as I was discussing the nature of the conflict presently being demonstrated within our community. I would not be here today if I had not long ago "Manned Up". This is why I am speaking to you today, not as a Premium Member, but as one of the MASSES.

You can take my words or leave them alone. Or you can debate or argue my points. One thing for sure. I am done arguing with you or trying to prove anything to you. I have put in more than enough time trying to educate and mentor your generation. I now encourage you to do the same to those younger than yourself rather than blaming an older generation for the miserable condition in which some of you find yourselves.

Hotep!
    Omowale.

2. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Good Morning Elder:

This is the type of message that needs to be displayed on Television, not the Destee Family. The young men here at Destee have respect for their elders and themselves. I don't know of any young men here that are 'living a boy's life;' basically they are doing what elders have told them to do.

I grew up learning to respect my elders as well. However, those same elders who told me to respect them were the same ones who discouraged me, and told me that I was nothing, and I will never get anywhere. Does that sound like a true, caring elder to you? Then again, there is that selected few who does care. I've had moments where I had to pass by elders as they taught CHILDREN how to smoke weed, and I am looking at them like What the ......? Yes I loive my elders, and I have respect for them, but they need to do me a favor and perform their roles; nothing less. I learn more from an elder who works their way from the bottom-up, than I do an elder who goes from the top-down. My action is displayed in my character, and I will leave that for you to decide.

I'll let the other young ones pick up from here.

CD

3. Tantrum

Tantrum Well-Known Member MEMBER

Pos Technical Support
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well
    I would say im living in the path of faith
    Yet I am steered away many of times
    I have a lot of love for black people
    Yet dont always agree with much of what they do
    I think I demonstrate my love for black people
    In the things I have done in my life
    I have a car club that has a chrity event every year
    I am setting up a scholarship for black students
    So I would say I am a man of action
    I think a lot of people blame others for there condidtion
    Because its easier than looking at one self
    I think I naturally look at my surroundings before I make an assumption
    Of what the cause of the problem is/Yet I have taken advantage
    Of everything that has been laid out for me
    I think anyone can obtain a job rather its the job they want or not
    Yet I really dont think a lot of people have the job skills
    To make it in todays marketplace....
    A lot of people are easily influenced by what they see on tv
    From Jay Z to 50cent/Yet I think Jay Z has changed a lot
    From when he was first out from Reasonable Doubt to the Black Album
    His perception and outlook are every different/He in my opinion is a good role model...He has shown youth they dont have to be in the streets to make it big...Shows he was there it gets you know where...So there are many outlets to getting paid and being successful...I think of him as the next Russell Simmons if there will ever be another...Yet I think 50cent is all about potraying a certain image to sell records and make a name for himself...He seems as if he needs the attention to get him going...He wants his name to constantly be in the limelight I guess thats todays society or thats just a man that hasnt learned what life and love really is so he needs death and hatred within...

I like the way you brought this
    Powerful words very powerful

4. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Look forward to it. A scholarship would sure help me right about now.

CD

5. Tantrum

Tantrum Well-Known Member MEMBER

Pos Technical Support
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yes once my site is up
    I will have it there
    Will be a $2500 scholarship
    Will require a 2.5 or better gpa
    A resume and of course
    An essay on "Staring Your Own Business"
    It was at first geared towards entrepreneaurs if I spelled that write
    I took the class and had a hard time with that word
    But I wanted it to be open to all majors
    And men and woman as well of black race
    So I will pm you the information once its available...

6. brother Malik

brother Malik Well-Known Member MEMBER

Data Analyst (software)
    Ratings:
    +5
    Your message certainly rings true. I must admit I found the tone of the message to be a bit harsh. But harshness is not always a bad thing.
    What you said was quite accurate. You seem to be a committed brother. I respect that. But approach these young folks with love and humility. There is always spiritual growth in humility.

And regarding the 'Man Up' comment. I was there. It was not a personal attack. But again, if you ever want to specifically point to a thread or a comment that you feel is unneccessarily devisive, respectfully request that that individual try to become more aware that his or her comments may be having a negative impact. I got your back on it.

Umoja Sasa!(unity now!)
    Malik

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62

Brother Omowale, while I empathize much with what you are saying, I have to say that if what the young brothers say about elders does not apply to you personally, don't take it personally...(smile!)

As elders - and some say I am not an elder because I am relatively a young guy at 47 - we've got to understand that we were once young and very volatile, and said things we would take back with a little more living and learning... It's kinda like when you tell the children not to play around the stove or the radiator, knowing there's one that just gotta get burned before he or she gets the message... Take their words with a grain of salt, and hang on in there... There are young cats who are listening, and learning, and they DO respect their elders... One thing I hated about elders coming up was there tendency to talk to me like I was a dummy, or something, instead of being kind, gentle, patient, and supportive... They always wanted, it seemed, to slap you upside the head, verbally or even physically, to get their message across... I gravitated toward the elders who had patience, and admired their cool, confident wisdom...

I take my cues from them... I think young cats would prefer to deal with an elder who is going to be supportive and loving... They been slapped upside the head enough - and some of 'em flat aint gonna take that from us... Frankly, I dig their pride, because I had that same pride as child... Once upbraided for my free spirit in the church I attended, I chose an ***-kicking over being humiliated by another adult... I am still proud of that moment when I asserted myself, and trace all assertions of my humanity since to that beautiful moment in time...

If we as elders want to TRULY communicate with our youth, we gots to leave our egos outside the door, and do what we came to do... It is alright for us to step off if we don't have it in ourselves to not resist the urge to slap these kids upside the head... Fact is, we are just exacerbating the problem, lighting the fuse of dissension, if we continue to partiicpate in these discussions... Again, let's put our egos aside, and help the process when we can, or bow out (for the moment) if we feel we are going to say something detrimental to the process...

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    "The young men here at Destee have respect for their elders and themselves."

Some do and some don't. For example, because of the respect that I do have for mine, I ALWAYS refer to my Elders in "upper case". This is a conscious decision and choice that I make. I find it quite unfortunate that the Elders you speak of were uncaring and poor role models. I have a few who were poor role models, but I have many more who were positive. If you only have a select few, perhaps this says something more about yourself and the life choices you have made along the way, which has led to these negative influences. You say that you need them to perform their roles. Perhaps the time has come for you to "Man up" and provide the same guidance to the youth so they do not experience the same negative lifestyle in which you have found yourself. It is not for me to decide the content of your character or the merit of your actions. I am not your judge and shall not be burdened with you failure or redeemed with your success. The worth of your character shall be measured by the actions which you demonstrate and the wisdom you obtain in your own spiritual growth and development.

Hotep!
    Omowale.

9. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42

Brother, I have approached these young brothers with love and humility. Some have responded with insult and personal attack and there are limits to one's patience and persistence.

In regards to the comment that I cited, you have your opinion which I shall respect, and I have mine and shall differ because the person who directed the statement to me has a known pattern of defending one member who has come into question. I also do not appreciate having side conversations one minute, then bringing issues out openly only to be accused of being "covert" while the folks who I had conversation with previously remain silent when I am challenged for bringing out an issue openly. As far as I am concerned, this is the epitome of hypocisy and it is not the first time I have been met with such reaction by the very same ones who spoke to me in private about the very same issues. That is what a snake does. Speak one way one minute, and another way another. Acting as if they have no idea what I am talking about. As I stated, I was speaking of no one individual and not one particular thread. In fact, I have posted in several this morning, some which are older, which evidence this problem. And it also is my reason for posting using my original member account. So that even some of the Elders of this community know, in case they did not know me the first time here, "I Been Around"...

Hotep!
    Omowale.

10. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    Brother Isaiah, in all due respect, you and I know that some of what has been stated has been directed to me personally, and some hasn't. But this is not the point. I have to deal with the consequences that are presented when the Village IDIOTS are running the Village and destroying it. I have seen whole communities ravaged with their foolishness. I am not about to let it continue without at least keeping it in check when it's madness, anger and disrespect is directd towards me. No, I no longer am taking anything with a grain of salt because it's time to put some salt in their games. Brother, I don't know about you, but some folks don't respond to the loving and supportive approach, unless you whip that butt and show some TOUGH LOVE, something that these numerous sissified, no-daddy loving baby b-boys need a healthy dose of. If you believe a problem is being exacerbated, perhaps you, Brother Isaiah, need to follow your own talk and change your own walk, and refrain from posting threads which fuel this very same dissention in which you speak, for example, the thread that you pulled up yesterday, and the one you created which gave rise to the present issues at hand. Follow your own advice and check yourself before putting me in check.

Hotep!
    Omowale.