Black People : MESSAGE IN THE NUMBERS

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Keita Kenyatta, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    I just left a black woman's website for career women and stumbled across some shocking numbers with implications worth thinking about. The number count on our people is at 34 million in America. This site reports that 60% of that number is black women.

Now my math isn't the greatest in the world...but I think that comes out to over 20 million black women out of a total population of 34 million. There's an estimated 1 million black men incarcerated. Therefore out of the 14 million black men left, the number just went down to 13 million.

A survey of interracial marriages reveal that 80,000 black women are married to white men. Although I couldn't find the actual numbers for black men married to white women, the various studies reveal that the percentage rate for black men marrying white women is 2.82 percent higher than that of black women marrying white men.

Again, because I'm no mathematical genius, my calculations of that means that out of the 13 million black men left, 3 million 666 thousand married white women. That just brought the numbers down to 10 million black men left. Lets give a moderate number of 500,000 black men who are gay or bi sexual since the various reports differ. We have 9 and a half million black men left.

The Princton New Jersey Dogwood corp, doing a study of the drug clinics across America came up with the numbers of 500,000 black people using needles in terms of drugs. Let us divide that number respectively so that we assume that 250,000 of that number is black men. Of the 870,000 cases of known aids, 337,000 cases were black people. Lets also divide that number evenly. We get about 168,000 of those being black men although it could be higher or a little lower.

This brings the black male population down to slightly over 8 million. It could be worse...I was simply too depressed to continue this investigation. There's several things to be gleaned from this.

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    don't worry sister, I'll still talk to you :D

3. Keita Kenyatta

Ratings:
    +3,382
    JUDGING FROM YOUR CONVERSATIONS AND PHOTO...I DON'T THINK YOU'RE GAY, AND SINCE I'M NOT, LET IT BE KNOWN THAT I'M A BROTHER NOT A SISTER. IN FACT, MY EX WIFE STAYS OUT THERE WITH YOU SOMEWHERE WITH MY OTHER TWO CHILDREN ON CLEARFIELD AVE.

4. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    sorry, no disrespect intended.

5. Keita Kenyatta

Ratings:
    +3,382
    WE COOL BRO...LOL

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    What if a Sister wanted to do more than talk?

i mean ... i'm jes' wundr'n ... :look:

:heart:

Destee

ps ... Thanks for sharing this info Brother Keita

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Only Black folks can make ya laugh about a subject so depressing(LOL!) Shoot, thanks for that, Keita and JamesfrmPhilly - all aint lost, cus we still smilin'(LOL!)

Now, I think them numbers is off on the sista's site, but I wont quibble... Clearly, there are at least 40-45-million Africans in the United States, counting the African diasporan and Continental African populations, so the numbers are a bit skewed... OldSoul's post the other day, where Emeagwali spoke of the 10-million African immigrants living outside of the continent is something that cannot be discounted... Probably 5-mill live in the United States, huh??? Black folks are survivors, sisters are survivors, and will do what they've gotta do... We should spend more time building, rather than worrying about these things...

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Excellent point brother Isaiah! With the amount of Africans from the Diaspora coming to the states...the numbers will become more balanced.

9. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    I'd tell her to prepare for a very warm experience :wink:

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    i did ask ... didn't i ... ?? ... :driveby: ... Thank you Brother JamesFrmPhilly.

:heart:

Destee