Black Men : Men's Lib

Liberty

BANNED
Aug 28, 2015
15sawhill-master675.jpg

SO far the gender revolution has been a one-sided effort. Women have entered previously male precincts of economic and political life, and for the most part they have succeeded. They can lead companies, fly fighter jets, even run for president.

But along the way something crucial has been left out. We have not pushed hard enough to put men in traditionally female roles — that is where our priority should lie now. This is not just about gender equality. The stakes are even higher. The jobs that many men used to do are gone or going fast, and families need two engaged parents to share the task of raising children.

As painful as it may be, men need to adapt to what a modern economy and family life demand. There has been progress in recent years, but it hasn’t been equal to the depth and urgency of the transformation we’re undergoing. The old economy and the old model of masculinity are obsolete. Women have learned to become more like men. Now men need to learn to become more like women.

Read more
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/15/opinion/sunday/mens-lib.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&_r=1

i have to agree with James on this one.

maybe i'm viewing it wrong...so let me take a step back: are you--the article--saying that, since women are taking over traditionally "men's" roles, that men should accept that they've been placed in a position where, if they want to succeed, they must accept the jobs women have left behind...in order to be successful?

hmmm.

as for black men, we've always been teachers, orderlies (old skool), and willing to do whatever job we had to do, to feed our families. we haven't had the luxury of refusing jobs because we thought it was beneath us--that's a white man's concept. so, to say that we need to rethink our strategey...because women are doing their thing...i question that. as a man, i'm proud of every stride my sisters make, and have never felt threathened by what they brought to the table. nor have i ever felt that i should lessen/lower my standards because they've raised theirs. as black men, we've always had to compete with women for positions--white and black. articles of that nature, are more about the competition white men feel, when seeking employment...and the privilege they've been presented over the years. THAT'S NOT US. We've always had to fight for each inch we get...against ALL comers.

we acknowledge the strides women are making, but to say that we have to become more like women, is like asking us, again, to take a back seat...which could be viewed as an insult.

i'm just saying.

i have to agree with James on this one.

maybe i'm viewing it wrong...so let me take a step back: are you--the article--saying that, since women are taking over traditionally "men's" roles, that men should accept that they've been placed in a position where, if they want to succeed, they must accept the jobs women have left behind...in order to be successful?

hmmm.

as for black men, we've always been teachers, orderlies (old skool), and willing to do whatever job we had to do, to feed our families. we haven't had the luxury of refusing jobs because we thought it was beneath us--that's a white man's concept. so, to say that we need to rethink our strategey...because women are doing their thing...i question that. as a man, i'm proud of every stride my sisters make, and have never felt threathened by what they brought to the table. nor have i ever felt that i should lessen/lower my standards because they've raised theirs. as black men, we've always had to compete with women for positions--white and black. articles of that nature, are more about the competition white men feel, when seeking employment...and the privilege they've been presented over the years. THAT'S NOT US. We've always had to fight for each inch we get...against ALL comers.

we acknowledge the strides women are making, but to say that we have to become more like women, is like asking us, again, to take a back seat...which could be viewed as an insult.

i'm just saying.

No, this is not MY opinion, it is the authors opinion. I was taken aback by the stats presented, and the hypothesis proposed.

What rang true was this. Within the circles of AA conscious folks, there is often the assertion made that our black boys suffer under the tradition of female teachers..... that we need more AA male teachers in the classroom.

I don't know why the author chose to throw that sentence (...men need to learn to become more like women.) in there. He was doing pretty good up until then. LOL I think he is not just saying that men need to adapt in the work world, he is also saying that men need to adapt at home...taking more traditionally female responsibilities at home, too.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back