Black Women : Men Teaching Women How to be Women - Beauty, Fashion, Etc?!

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by Destee, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Peace and Blessings Family,

Recently i saw a couple of episodes of RuPaul's Drag Race, and i noticed tonight there's a show on television where other transexual men ... i guess i'm labeling them right ... men that dress up as women ... who are teaching women how to be women?!

Now ... what really gets me is that they seem to know more about look'n like a woman than me ... all flamboyant and stuff!

I mean ... i'm almost mad at RuPaul 'nem ... doin a woman better than some women i know! :eeek:

Even on Tyra's show ... the Brother teaches women how to walk the runway, like a woman!

Now, I have seen a few white guys playing this hollywood role ... but ... hmmmm ... Brothers seem to be leading the way.

What is going on ... why are women taking women lessons from men ... on how to be women?!

Does this open the door for women to tell men how to be men?

What is going on! :eeek:

:heart:

Destee

2. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I noticed this too...Especially on the Real Housewives of Atlanta....They have this gay guy, well a lot of them, named Dwight who shows the women how to walk in heels....I'm like are you for real?

I don't know what it is...but I'm not going to be taking lessons from a man...Especially a gay one...They are dressing like women, so maybe they need to taught how to use a feminine hygiene products...oops they can't cause they aren't women lol

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    See Sister ... i aint never even seen the real housewives, any of them, but i aint even surprised.

This is just too krazee ... what is going ?!

Thanks for sharing!

Destee

4. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    Being a regular woman comes quite naturally to most women - because we're women. We don't have to do anything special to be more or less than we are - because that is what we are. No matter if I dress in feminine clothes with flowers in my afro'd hair, or feminine 'draggish' with the men's pants, men's shoes, and a bald head - I knew, accepted, and loved the fact that I was a woman.

But if I wanted to be a better woman, then drag queen or gay men might be right for the task. Since being a woman is not natural to them, they must try harder and work harder to be one. They have to perfect their technique of what they think being a woman is and what it entails - the look, the walk, the stance, the clothes, the make-up, the whole 9. Tell me not that Rupaul does not look better than a lot of women! Tell me not that Ms J. (that black guy on Tyra's show that teaches women how to walk) can't switch his bum with the best of 'em!

Rupaul makes a lot of women jealous because he's perfected the look so well, you can't tell he's a man when he's dressed up and he looks gorgeous. Women don't like it and are often intimidated that a man can play at being a woman better than they can actually be one (and as a side note, they are also probably intimidated by the fact that they think a lot of black men in particular on the DL... and women aren't too happy about the thought of competing with better looking and better dressed men for their husbands, boyfriends, and other male suitors).

I'm not intimidated tho nor do I feel in competition with anyone. Rupaul is handsome as a man and gorgeous as a woman. Ms. J has the job he has because he does it well - I'll hand him that. I don't think there is anything wrong on getting advice from gay or drag men on looks, clothes, fashion, and make-up because they appear to know their stuff and know it well. They can even give sex tips because I hear they do some thangs in the bedroom really well too, sometimes better than women (ooops! There goes that intimidation factor again. Men giving women sex tips on how to sexually arouse and please a man? Has my man been screwing these folks to get that extra kind of lovin??! :court: :whip:)

But all in all, there is something to be said for being a real woman that no man or drag queen or gay man can teach me. Hell even another woman can't teach me how to be a woman - try as they might (and they have tried as they thought I was coming up 'short' in some instances). If I ever wanted tips on looking better, walking better, or giving that 'model-esque' stance then I have no longer a problem with getting that from a man or woman who knows their business. But I'm fairly confident in how I look, how I dress, and my minimal experience with make-up that I don't really need anyone to teach me this. I don't need anyone to show me how to be a woman - because I just naturally am and I'm cool with how I look and how I represent myself.

5. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    what's going on my sister is the systematic destruction of the black male in america,i have no problem with men fashion designers but these[i had better say this in a way that won't get me banned]female impersonators are sick and sad and ru paul is one of the worst perpertrators of this sickness amoung black males,how in the world is a man gonna teach a woman how to be a woman as far as thier being sexy and the like,all a man can do is teach our daughters how to behave as ladies but the stuff about giving lessons on how to be a woman????? what the h-e -doulble hockey sticks are those fools talking about men have nature and women have nature and that's the way it is and supposed to be why are we falling into this trap of the sickness of the caucasions no my sister-WOMEN ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO CAN TEACH OTHER WOMEN IN THESE FEMININE INSTRUCTIONS!!!

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    It's weird. I can see where some women might feel a sense of jealousy, or some form of it, as RuPaul is a handsome man and fixes up look'n like a woman nicely too.

I'd imagine some men may even feel a twinge of jealousy as well ... but that's not the piece that troubles me most, my jealousy (should i have any).

It's the smoke and mirrors, the fakeness of it all, being portrayed as real ... like acting ... which may be why i don't enjoy movies.

It's like we're so easily drawn to the fake, the phoney, the flashy ... the place farthest away from reality. That's skarey to me.

Bottomline ... it's a lie. It's not truth. No matter how well one may imitate a woman, they are not a woman. Yet it seems that's what is being pushed.

That they can give us tips on how to be women, and we suck them up like water, thirsty ... for that which God has already given us, and us alone.

They've re-packaged womanness, and made it for sell ... and we're the buyers ... taking woman tips from the absolute opposite of women.

The logic of it all is so flawed to me. The very premise on which it stands is sinking sand, making it very difficult for me to get past it, to see any benefit from it.

But what about the young Black Men growing up seeing this as a career opportunity, where Black Men can obviously get a more than fair shot at leading roles.

How many young Black Men are growing up without Fathers, with only Mothers, and dresses, makeup, wigs, and plenty of time alone to practice.

It's just another snare to try and steer our young people away from, in a time where there are more than we can do anything with already.

At the same time, i aint try'n to knock nobody outta gett'n they hustle on ... ya know ... everybody gotta eat.

I don't know ... one of the things that surprised me, watching the shows, which probably shouldn't have ... but i was really disappointed to hear them intimate that they were all gay ... i thought some were doing it for the job ... like work ... like actors ... but they were all gay ... men sleeping with men ... and while i'm so very open to everyone doing what they want sexually ... oh my gosh ... the woman in me can't help but mourn the loss of yet more young Black Men, so sorely needed by young Black Women.

It's just all so krazee to me.

Thanks everyone for sharing.

Destee

7. misterlucky

misterlucky Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    i find it amusing that Tyra Banks makes it crystal clear on her top model show: that it was, and is, a couple of transexuals her taught her how to walk and talk and act like a woman.
    equally amusing is the fact that she insists this is the norm in the modeling world...a world where woman are taught, like army recruits, how to be all they can be, by transexuals and openly gay males.
    is if you never had a clue beforehand, on how to carry yourselves.......

all of which, of course, begs the obvious questions:

exactly who do you imagine you look attractive to? and who are you dressing up for, anyway???

8. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    Ms. Destee, which would you rather accept - the ugly truth or a pretty lie?

I like this kenyan proverb and use it often 'Truth and Lies came to the market. Truth can never be sold but people buy lies with ready cash.'

I find that to be very true. And not only are they buying lies with ready cash, but they are buying it, marketing it, packaging it, and distributing it - and folks are buying it with cash, debit, credit cards, or even on credit.

Those of us who are centered in TRUTH (or relative truth as the case may be - since 'truth' differs among us) sit back and look at this and either laugh or cry about it because it seems to big for us to tackle with our meager capacities to make or force change.

It is fake. It is acting. It's a way to diverge everyone from their paths, of what is really going on, and to keep the people doped up on nonsense and unaware of what's going on and why their lives are in such turmoil. It may part of the 'opiate of the masses.' Ignore the man behind the curtain.

I do buy into this entertainment... and by extension the lies they tell me. But I'm not stupid and I do not accept this as my last word. I do not 'ignore the man behind the curtain.' I might buy his lies, but I want to know the history of those lies and why he must sell them to me, and I don't get all of my information from the one who sells them.

It is in analyzing these lies, and why they must be sold to me - that I can find (relative) TRUTH.

9. warriorprincess

warriorprincess Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +201
    The best way to learn to be a better you is to look within.

10. Black Squared

Black Squared Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +177
    Those guys are usually gay, they don't count