Food Discussion : Men Like Fried Chicken!!!

Discussion in 'Food Discussion and Recipes' started by Feather, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Feather

Feather Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +412
    my mom always baked her chicken or boiled it ALL THE TIME UGH...anyway... i was a grown woman and didn't even know how to fry chicken or cook really but i learned trial and error, no body died in the process;) . im still in my transition to eat healthier and if my hubby didn't want it i wouldnt cook it but he likes soul food, and its tempting to me not to grab a few!:p

i've tried to make a crispy crust and it was too crusty LOL
    i tried to season the flour and it was too seasoned
    i saw my mother in law cook chicken and i didn't follow her exactly because she mixes her flour with the chicken and it's all gooey. i prefer to flour the chix in a seperate bowl.

if you have the general idea flour them and throw them in the oil (not literally :)) of how to fry chicken i just wanted to share my tips to give you a hand if you never quite got it like me. I just did this year:rolleyes:. (i make the chix on stovetop other frying appliances may vary)

1. dont put alot of seasoning in the flour unless you're following a precise recipie, very minimal.

2. use enough oil so that the chicken in half submerged. make like a tiny small flour ball and drop it in the oil, if the oil bubbles around it the oil is ready.

3. keep your heat on med. not high or the flour will burn and your chicken will be burnt and raw inside and you will think its done. NOT GOOD.

4.do NOT use egg, it makes the batter gookey it doesn't make it stick better.

5.just flour them completely, it might look thin but they will get crispy and crunchy as they cook.

6.when you see the side in the oil looking golden brown and like the flour has hardened turn them. they shouldnt burn because the temp should be med.

7. as they cook slowly they will get harder and crispy! mmmm

if it is useful... lemme know how things turn out ;)

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    fried chicken is full of cholesterol.

3. Feather

Ratings:
    +412
    you know what james! you're like a little push doll you always pop up with these little short remarks.
    i know that lol, we dont eat it all the time or i would be fat.
    thanks to my earth there are herbs that cleanse the arteries of toxicities like too much cholesterol Dr. James.

4. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
    Believe it or not,...me being raised in the 'kuntree' i would or should know how to fry chicken...but i don't. I could never get it right. My hubby and kids be teasing me talk'n bout me. i just roll my eyes .LOL.. but yeah....this should help me get it right....thnx Sis feather,...

5. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    So it's just flour, seasoning and oil?

6. Feather

Ratings:
    +412
    you're welcome :) :grouphug:

7. Feather

Ratings:
    +412
    yes, an all purpose seasoning is fine, like old bay, or just salt n pepper. if you put a lot it will taste funny or salty

8. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

I love fried chicken growing up because all of the woman in my fam could cook.. I mean burn it down!!

That's how i learned to cook, but i only use olive oil if i'm going to fry it. I usually bake it if i want chicken.

I didn't even know that people boiled chicken until i went to college and had a dominican roomate from washington heights (a section of manhattan).

9. Feather

Ratings:
    +412
    :lol: you can boil anything even fish lol thats how jamaicans and africans make fish soup and anybody else who does :)

10. largo

largo Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +286
    I love to hear about people learning to cook. I don't often fry chicken (have never been a huge fan), but every once in a while I might or the husband will. A another tip, batter your chicken and let it sit for about a half hour to an hour before frying.