Science and Technology : Meet The African-American Billionaire Businessman Who's Richer Than Michael Jordan

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Liberty, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +3,208
    [​IMG]

As a junior at Denver’s East High School in the 1970s, Robert F. Smith showed a fascination for the geekiest subject there: Computer science. The transistor held particular wonder for him. This small device, a crucial valve controlling the flow of electrons within a computer, had been invented at Bell Labs. Bell had a nearby office. Maybe he should at work at Bell, too.

After securing the number, Smith phoned and inquired about a summer internship. Yes, Bell did have one, he learned, but only college upperclassmen could apply. Smith had straight A’s in math and computer science. Would that count? No, Bell said, it would not. Undaunted by this initial rejection, Smith called back every day for two weeks—HR stopped answering after Day 2—and then cut back on how often he called …to every Monday for five months. Eventually, he was rewarded for his doggedness. After an MIT student didn’t show up in June, Bell called Smith. Could he come in for an interview?

“I ran my own race. I knew what I wanted, and my persistence paid off, and I came in and interviewed. They liked me, and I got the internship,” Smith said in a
    commencement address at American University earlier this year in which he told this story about Bell. “In fact, I worked there for the next four years during summer and winter breaks.”

Yes, his stubborn streak has indeed paid off. Smith, 52, joins The Forbes 400 with a $2.5 billion fortune and a No. 268 spot on the list of the richest Americans. (Another noteworthy point: Smith becomes the second richest African-American after only
    Oprah Winfrey, No. 211, elbowing aside Michael Jordan, No. 1741 on the global Billionaires list.) Smith is the founder, chairman and chief executive of Vista Equity Partners, an Austin, Texas, private equity firm with $15.9 billion in client assets.

Read more
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielf...-businessman-whos-richer-than-michael-jordan/

2. Liberty

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +3,208
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  3. JenaBee63

JenaBee63 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Health Technician/Future Paralegal
    Ratings:
    +240
  4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    Dworaczyk? :bye:

5. Liberty

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +3,208
    A Playboy Bunny? Seriously?

There is a double standard. There is another constant. They usually get the white trash... the WM don't want. A BM of his caliber would not ever think twice of a BW in the sex industry.

Happiness is intrinsic, it's an internal thing. When you build it into yourself, no external circumstances can take it away.-Leo Buscaglia

6. Liberty

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +3,208
    [​IMG]

7. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    is there a prenup? i wonder where the money goes when he dies?

8. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    sometimes my brothers make me sad......

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Liberty

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +3,208
    I didn't read any mention of a prenup.

But, I did read that she gave birth to their 2nd child in December 2014. (they didn't get married until July 2015) So, on child support alone she will be getting paid big time based on his income, if they part ways.

And, this is what I was referring to in the other thread. These two had two children, but were not married. Therefore they were not accounted for in the so-called "3%". we discussed. And, this is common today.

Dude fell for the okie-doke. She has slipped into some big money by "accidentally" getting pregnant TWICE by a billionaire.

Happiness is intrinsic, it's an internal thing. When you build it into yourself, no external circumstances can take it away.-Leo Buscaglia

10. Liberty

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +3,208
    I bet they don't even stay together that long. But, I would imagine it would go to his wife, and two kids.