Black People : MEDIA WATCH...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Aqil, May 8, 2003.

1. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    Why is it that the company that makes Phillip's Milk of Magnesia, the constipation medicine, always uses Black people in their TV commercials? Usually an elderly Black couple...Have y'all noticed that?

:mad:

2. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    Talking about some sell-out brothas...what about those brothas who play the dozens (talk about each other's mother) on national TV? Think it's a Coor's beer commercial. They are a disgrace to the race...

3. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    And what about Charles Barkley? I notice that - irrespective of who the guest is on TNT's halftime show - Barkley ALWAYS looks at Ernie Johnson - the white host of the show - when he's commenting. I mean ALWAYS...and Kenny Smith sits right next to him! What does that tell you?

4. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115
    I'm not sure....what does it tell you about Dharles?

5. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hmmmmm...now that you mention it Aqil...

I have noticed that about constipation commercials!! Has anyone else seen a constipated white person doing a commercial?

Is there anything that a Black person considers "sacred" or private that they won't do in front of anybody?

I never cared for Charles Barkley...I put him in the same category as OJ Simpson as far as people I never cared much for. So the only thing that would surprise me about either is if someone told me they ever did anything positive for someone other than themselves.

6. j'hiah

j'hiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +70
    l did not notice that about "Sir Charles" but l will peep it out...

7. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    That he is more comfortable with white people. He had two white wives...they both left him...

8. A007

Ratings:
    +115
    Shocked and Amazed

Queen---

This may be the first time we have ever been on opposite ends of a topic...(smile).

Aqil--

Its no surprise that you and I are (once again) have opposing views...lmao...much respect though.

But...I am SHOCKED that you (Queen) put Charles Barkley in the same category as OJ Simpson.

Charles is one of the only REAL black men we have in the media. The fact that he is comfortable with white people only points to the fact that he is comfortable with who and what he is with ANYBODY. Isn't that what we all strive for?

He is one of the only black men who will speak their mind without concern for what white people will think or say. For that matter...for what anyone will think or say. This is the type of leadership we need. He has turned down countless jobs in the media..commercial and commentary because he refused to be controlled. He is his own man and will tell you so and dare you to say he is wrong about it. He may be the only brotha who does not suck up to white people and yall are saying that he does. If this is attributied to him marrying two white women, then I respectfully submit that these marriages only serve to prove that he is his own man. He knew the type of hell he would catch for marrying white. His own mother told him not to do it. This was not a matter of kissing up to white poeple, selling out, or coveting white women because of their skin, It was more because they took his bull-headedness and the black women he encountered would not. This only makes him stubborn and impatient, it does not make him a sell out.

Please give me instances other than him looking at THE ANCHOR of a show because he is white..because here is a generous (gave away over a million dollars to friends and family before coming to his senses) principled , intelligent, opinionated, strong black man who is not afraid of them taking anything away from him....Can you all name ONE more brotha in the public eye who is like this?

9. A007

Ratings:
    +115
    miki--

I haven't seen anyone on hear bow down to anyone.

The post is entitled MEDIA WATCH. We are discussing people in the media. Of course sports figures are going to come up.

I don't know if he has any knowledge of history or black history...but how does that figure into the how we are portrayed, projected, and involved in the image of African-Americans in the media?

10. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Dre', you do agree with me, you just don't realize it yet! :)

And yes, I still feel the same way about Barkley and not because he married two white women. lol White women don't intimidate me that way 'cause I probably would have thrown him at them. Good riddance! And I mean no offense to our white friends at the forum.

From the little that I've heard come out of Charles Barkley's mouth has never been anything that remotely gives you a sense that he's intelligent nor have a solid sense of the Black experience. He's an arrogant, fat lipped, basketball head "know it all", loud talking and saying nothing EX-athlete! (ok I know that was a personal attack) Although I've not seen him on the program that Aqil mentioned, but it didn't surprise me either cause that's exactly my impression of him. He's no AC Greene in my opinion.

Sorry...but you'll eventually see him the same as I do. :)