Black People : Media Perception of Black Men vs. Black Women

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by UBNaturally, Feb 21, 2015.

1. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Jan 15, 2014
    This did not just dawn on me, but a perspective that has been shared by many has seemingly come into more focus recently than in the past.

Look at these images

Tyler Perry
    Hell Hath No Fury Like a Woman Scorned (2014)
    Tyler Perry's Madea's Neighbors From Hell (2014)
    The Single Moms Club (2014)

A plethora of shows and films dealing with relationships, but not necessarily family life, thought particularly focusing on the female perspective as this is the desired audience.

Stage plays converted to TV, that didn't seem to blend well but continued its efforts.

Steve Harvey

Madea Goes to Jail (2009)
    Celebration of Gospel (2012)
    Praise the Lord (2012)

Think Like a Man (2012)
    Think Like a Man Too (2014)

Steve attempted to follow the steps of Perry

Flashback to when Steve was doing what Bill Cosby was doing

What happened to create the switch from focusing on all, including especially the young black men that feel abandoned publicly, aside from the courageous sports athletes that try to provide inspiration.

Don't be fooled, Steve still does it, just doesn't use his public platforms to promote or address it.
    He uses the relationship, Oprah/Dr. Phil theme to draw in wider audiences.

Did Bill and Camille Cosby have a larger vision...

"Let them stay mad as long as they don't have good sense," he told Zahn. "I don't care what right-wing white people are thinking. ... How long you gonna whisper about a smallpox epidemic in your apartment building when bodies are coming out under the sheets?"

"When I say, 'I don't care what white people think,' I mean that. I mean, I'm addressing my people, period," he told CNN. "I'm telling you. I want all this loud profanity in the street stopped. ... I want you to stop doing things that are detrimental to your getting at least an education with a high school credential. I'm talking to the people who are dropping out."

This is from a satirical site, but subtly shares the perceptions

Tyler Perry, Steve Harvey, Bill Cosby Form Charity to Teach Black Women How to Behave

What would the effect have been if Cosby were to bring another chapter of actors and actresses into a new era of sitcoms

Bill Cosby's new NBC comedy show could debut as early as next summer

If the new show isn't ready for next summer, it could be a contender for fall 2015, NBC execs said Sunday.

Monday, July 14, 2014

The series, described as a "classic, extended-family sitcom" with Cosby as the patriarch, is currently in the writing stage, NBC executives said at Sunday's session of the summer TV critics' tour.

This would have potentially been a wrench in the efforts to portray people in the way "the media" desires, as they would not have had majority control over the material presented.

It’s Time To Say Good-Bye To TV’s Strong Black Woman

Thanks to Scandal and Sleepy Hollow, we’re seeing a completely new kind of black woman on television. The human kind, who’s allowed to feel things.

Never really noticed how these images make me think of those book store novels.

Something else to mention, BET and ABC are under the same ownership

Then there's the Shonda Rhimes factor, from which both Scandal and How To Get Away With Murder are attributed to.

Extant starring Halle Berry... makes me think of Monster's Ball meets the Omen.
    Have to watch it and get background content to see what I mean

Rosemary's Baby

Power starring Omari Hardwick, could be a spin-off of the Sopranos, well at least the club owner/drug kingpin scheme does give off this perception.

Empire starring Terrence Howard

Money, Power, and Respect

Gone are the days where we could just enjoy ourselves and laugh

The 25 Best Black Sitcoms of All Time

A Different World was probably the best example of creative writing, satire, humor, intelligent messaging, and comfortable viewing without the need to be overtly offensive to garner a laugh.

Where does the new wave of media programming for "black entertainment" fall when it comes to the past representations of talent and creativity?

Balanced, fair, artistic, flawed, full of potential?

Is there such thing as "black entertainment" as we once considered it, has it adapted, become assimilated into the same recycled efforts of the big executives, or has it evolved into something bigger?