Health and Wellness : Meat Glue May Be Holding Your Steak Together!

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Indigo Blues, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Indigo Blues

Indigo Blues Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +164
    :SuN013: Wow! this is crazy!

That meat glue will make you go -----> :explode:

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    :SuN034: fruits, nuts, grains and vegetables........

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Peace and Love!

.......I'll help you to say its crazy Indigo Blues, I'm speechless.

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Update!

Industry-Wide Use of Meat Glue Sticks Together Scraps of Meat To Sell You Prime Cuts

But two weeks ago, all but one of the European Union nations voted in favor of using Thrombian, or Transglutaminase (TG). They now join other developed nations such as the U.S., Canada, and Australia who approved the product.

The Swedish government’s recent approval of the use of Thrombian prompted the Swedish Consumers’ Association and politicians to join together to criticize this approval. “We do not want this at all–it is meat make-up,” Jan Bertoft of the Association told IceNews, a daily Icelandic newspaper.

“The problem is that Thrombian-enhanced products look like real meat. It is the dishonesty in it that makes us think that it is not okay,” said Bertoft. For example, pork tenderloin can have numerous small parts fused together to produce what will appear to be a full fillet.

According to blog, Cooking Issues, Meat Glue is commonly used all the time, primarily to:
    • Make uniform portions that cook evenly, look good, and reduce waste
    • Bind meat mixtures like sausages without casings
    • Make novel meat combinations like lamb and scallops

According to the Food and Drug Administration’s website, Transglutaminase is classified as a GRAS product (generally recognized as safe).

Health Canada approved the product. However, the glue also raises food-safety issues, says Keith Warriner, an associate professor of food science at the University of Guelph, in a phone interview from his office. If there is a bacteria outbreak, it’s much harder to figure out the source when chunks of meat from multiple cows were combined.

Yet another innovation is “modified atmosphere packaging”, the widespread practice of filling meat packaging with adjusted levels of oxygen and other gases. The gases can keep meat from losing its fresh-looking red hue. Shiv Chopra, an Ottawa food-safety expert and retired Health Canada scientist, said in an e-mail that the technique is “dangerous” because it may prevent shoppers from seeing when meat has gone bad. UBC’s Allen agreed: “This can be misleading to consumers.”

Invariably, industry justifies use of these so called meat glues because they are used only during processing and resist declaring it in the label obviously maintaining that it is not a part of the formulation of the product. While technically they are correct, the fact still remains that the so called processing aid stays right there in the final product.which certainly requires declaration for the information of the consumer.

If the idea of fish slurry or chicken puree glued together with an enzyme isn’t appealing to you, use it as motivation to learn more about where your food comes from. Try shopping from farmer’s markets more, so that you know who has grown your vegetables, or raised your meat if you eat it. Although between the chemicals, pollutants, cruelty and maybe reconsider what it means to eat meat at all.

Sources:
    euractiv.com
    thelocal.se
    discovery.com
    fairwhistleblower.ca
    vhpotty.blogspot.com
    examiner.com
    http://www.ajinomoto.com/
    http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/12/farm-camp-teaches-nyc-chefs-where-their-food-comes-from.php
    http://preventdisease.com/news/11/032211_meatglue.shtml

The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research

http://vaticproject.blogspot.com/2011/03/industry-wide-use-of-meat-glue-sticks.html

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
  6. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Update!

Meat Glue: It’s Everywhere, But We Don’t Know It

[​IMG]

A succulent slice of foie gras. Makes your mouth water? But that perfect round shape was produced with an enzyme called transglutaminase - meat glue.

The more I learn about meat glue, the more cheated I feel. Since there’s no law ensuring that I be informed, I could be absorbing blood-clotting enzyme without suspecting it. Transglutaminase is said to be used in meat, fish, poultry, dairy products, pasta, and bread.
    A post on the Cooking Issues blog, which we quoted in our previous post about meat glue, seems to be the main information resource for the layman. Labels certainly aren’t telling.

Safety isn’t uppermost in consumer’s minds. The outrage which lead to meat glue being banned in the E.U. focused on paying premium prices for inferior foods. Yet how much of the blood-clotting enzyme gets into the bloodstream through the skin – a concern for food workers – or through the mucous membranes when we put glued food in our mouths? Nobody knows.

Meat glue is applied to all kinds of foods, not only meat, poultry and fish. It’s an agent appreciated by the dairy industry because it thickens yogurt and cheese at less cost. According to a study published by the Entrepreneur blog

A chill went through me as I watched the hour-long video. I saw, with rising disgust, a pale slab of chicken stock that flapped in Dufresne’s hand as if made of rubber. The audience, all sciences students, watched in rapt fascination. Nobody seemed to be thinking how unnatural it is to eat synthetically transformed food.

http://www.greenprophet.com/2011/03/meat-glue-is-everywhere/

7. Proverbs31Woman

Proverbs31Woman Be kinder than necessary! MEMBER

Ratings:
    +879
    Wow...this is eye opening. I don't eat red meat, but apparently this is inclusive of other meats...wow is all I can say!

Ok..with the recent postings by Clyde..I'm convinced we really need to go back to buying our meat and veggies from organic farms..I'm really re-evaluating where to shop at, seriously..wow!

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

........Yes my sister friend Proverbs31Woman, I'm speechless and feel cheated, and the same as this quote I just posted:

A chill went through me as I watched the hour-long video. I saw, with rising disgust, a pale slab of chicken stock that flapped in Dufresne’s hand as if made of rubber. The audience, all sciences students, watched in rapt fascination. Nobody seemed to be thinking how unnatural it is to eat synthetically transformed food.

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

Meat glue

The industry-wide secret butchers don't want you to know about: The special product called Meat Glue sticking your steak together.

http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/article/8989315/consumer/meat-glue

Meat glue - Contains Blood Plasma...what Restaurants and Super Markets do not want you to know!

Thrombian is an enzyme that catalyzes covalent bonds between free amine groups and gamma-caroxminid groups of protein or peptide bond gluatamine. Basically, the enzyme enables food processors to stick various types of meat together - for example, imitation crab meat.

[​IMG]

http://www.jw-archive.org/2011/04/meat-glue-contains-blood-plasmawhat.html

10. ManicRaider

ManicRaider Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +166
    Why don't they just sell the (normal) scraps as they are? I'd buy them. Sometimes you might need them for flavoring a soup. Or maybe you'd add it to a dish for additional meat.

I couldn't agree more. I can live with them adding vegetables or soy to the meat but this is recklessly playing with people's health. I wonder what type of meat these "meat glue" people eat.