Black Sports : McCants alleges UNC's bogus classes kept him eligible

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by Enki, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Do we sometimes aid in our own downfall, and allow ourselves to become a statistical number?

http://t.foxsports.msn.com/college-...-alleges-uncs-bogus-classes-kept-him-eligible

In reading this story, my question is: At what point do we stop allowing whites, such as this coach to use us just to make him, and their establishments look good? Now, this brutha new better, so lest not let him off the hook, but couldn't he see this coach obviously didn't care whether he was educated or not?

And take note of when brutha decided to get righteous, after he many his money. Where was this conviction back in college? Now I know the argument is going to be he's black, he never had a chance like this. If that is the position we are going to take, then we need to not decry the fact that sport team owners view us in a certain light. Because the fact of the matter is that we have shown then what we will pay for the sake of money and fame.

Peace!

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    The saddest thing, is that African-American studies classes shouldn't be labeled as bogus ... smh. You would think that that class would be the one class to hold his interest, of all classes :facepalm:

McCants said after he earned two A's in African-American studies classes and F's in algebra and psychology in the 2004 fall semester, Williams informed him of the academic issues prior to the start of the spring semester.

Report: McCants alleges UNC's bogus classes kept him eligible

3. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135
    One mans use is anothers way out.

Why snitch now though? It only proves how stuck on stupid he is. It's akin to the players who exposed the payola scam in the 60s. You got your money. Why `blow it for others?

4. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Yes, this is my point...He knew what the deal was.. hell, They had this instituted decades ago where if you had bad grades you could not play. So he was not ignorant of what he was doing, and took the low road. Now that he done made his, and going to make more because of the book deal, he wants to burn the bridge that helped him get over. He should of had his kids in mind when he put his pride on the auction block for Yt's gain.

Peace!

5. Sami_RaMaati

Sami_RaMaati Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +243
    I don't think he "blew" it for anybody. This is a decades old under the table practice designed to keep elite college athletes eligible to play if they are known to be academically challenged coming out of high school, so that they can continue to make mega bucks for the colleges and universities they attend. It's an open secret known by people from the highest levels in the administration to the classmates of the athletes who get high passing grades in every class but seldom, if ever, actually GO to class. As long as there's big money to be made ruthlessly exploiting college athletes, this particular "revelation" isn't going to stop anything.

On the brighter side, when I was in college I did know a few of athletes receiving athletic scholarships who had no plans to play pro sports. Their primary goal was to get a college education at no cost. They played sports only to keep the scholarship money flowing.

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    My answer to your first question is yes, and I will try to explain why.

This matter is larger than McCants. Perhaps he was paid and is being used as a proxy for a larger attack. An attack on Black, African-American, Pan Afrikan, and Afrikan studies programs.

The underlying issue is nothing new. College athletes, and this includes white athletes, were admitted through special action programs during the late 60s as a form of affirmative action, and this was before the creation of Black studies programs. Since many of these programs were not departmentalized but interdisciplinary in nature they became to be seen as electives, easy courses to meet lower division requirements. These athletes were often assigned peer tutors, some of who attended classes and took exams for the athletes. Some athletes were enrolled concurrently in junior college courses at the same time and/or took correspondence or extension courses. I personally know athletes at UCLA and USC who did all the above mentioned, and I have friends who were tutors as well.

So then, why now? This takes me back to why I said yes, sometimes we do aid in our own downfall.

The situation/controversy at Temple university is one example.

There are controversies concerning the status of Black/AA studies programs or departments at UCLA and Cal State LA. I'm sure there are more examples.

In addition are the litigation concerning affirmative action in Texas and Michigan, which threaten the status of Black studies programs as well.

Enter Ward Connerly and the black republican agenda, the black radical agenda, and the systemic nationalist agenda, all in conflict with each other and where does this leave the Black student athlete? They begin to see it all as a joke, especially if they get the grade for doing nothing after enrolling except collecting their financial aid and scholarship checks.

This has been going on for a long time so why now? There is a larger agenda behind it all.

7. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135

He should be forced to pay all that scholarship money back

8. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135

What is going to happen is, those who are academically challenged wont be able to go at all.

9. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    :toast:

The thing is brutha O, is that he, and others like him have added to the data that tracks wheather we succeed correctly, or was handed our success in this manner. It is no surprise about the over representation of the black male/student athlete in American sports. Anyone who has watched a college football, or mens basketball game over the past 20 years can see this. As I said before you have scholars who study race in intercollegiate sports, and they are not the least bit surprised of how, and why we dominate sports.

We as a race has to know there exists racial equities in graduation rates. It would seem that we are bred just for sports, and not ownership. And YT does what he can to keep us locked in the box by dangling that carrot of fame, and money in our faces. It is dangerous to let a person know what you will go for. What nerve it took to go to this brutha and basically say, it's ok to be dumb, as long as you achieve for us, and have the brutha agree to it.

Looking at your comment, and the other brutha;s comment, is it safe to say that the NCAA is guilty, and only take action when things are brought to light? IMO, and it’s only my opinion, the American public, former black student athletes, sports enthusiasts, journalists, and leaders in the black communities has accepted this system of widespread inequities concerning black student athletes. Because I love Jordan, but I don’t recall hearing him speaking on it….ever.

Peace!

10. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    This is what these bruthas fail to see, the fact that they have become a piece of data in the negative column.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kenneth-l-shropshire/troubling-graduation-rate_b_2220625.html

Actually Kem, I thought we was hip to this oke doke long ago and was able to side step it.

Peace!