South Africa : Mbeki criticises US over Zimbabwe

panafrica

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
South African President Thabo Mbeki has said the US was wrong to describe Zimbabwe as an "outpost of tyranny".
The US decision to place Zimbabwe alongside Cuba, Belarus, Burma, Iran and North Korea in a list of tyrannical states was "an exaggeration", he said.

The US and EU accuse Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe of election rigging and human rights abuses.

But Mr Mbeki said quiet diplomacy rather than outspoken criticism would lead to real change in the country.

"To put all these countries together and say Zimbabwe's one of these outposts of tyranny - how do you justify that?" he told the Financial Times newspaper in an interview.

"It doesn't mean that there's nothing that's gone wrong in Zimbabwe, but to describe it as an outpost of tyranny..."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4286673.stm

pdiane said:
Mugabe has proven to be a great warrior. Mbeki needs to follow his lead in South Africa and give South African land back to thei original owners.

I've been impressed with many of Mbeki's actions of late: Criticising Western Countries over their racist policies & decisions, as well as, lending assistance to African nations in need.

The US responds

The US has again condemned what it calls tyranny in Zimbabwe, saying Southern African countries should be tougher on human rights abuses.

Earlier this week, South African President Thabo Mbeki said American criticism of Zimbabwe was exaggerated. Now the US ambassador to South Africa has contrasted the decisive approach of West African States towards Togo with South Africa's approach to Zimbabwe.

The remarks confirm Washington's determined stance towards Zimbabwe.

In an address to a university in Johannesburg, Jendayi Fraser said the fact that countries in the region are not speaking out about repression in Zimbabwe made it difficult for supporters of Africa in the American government to argue the case for more aid.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4298121.stm

Any one who is aware of Bush's relationship with Obiang Nguema of Equatorial Guinea, would know how little the US cares about tyranny (so long as the tyrant freely gives of his country's resources). I never cease to be amazed at the hypocrisy of this country.

Been a while but

panafrica said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4298121.stm

I never cease to be amazed at the hypocrisy of this country.

As a person that does not live in the USA, I don't understand how people can hate their own country so much but still continue living there. Are you trying to bring about change, or hoping for your own county? What are you all trying to accomplish? :argue:

This is prevalent through a lot of threads, if you all hate it so much, why stay?

Hell we try to leave all the time, but then its mostly due to economics, not racism, and we will try anywhere! This is to stop all the questions about us and our problems, and no it's not to take advantage of rights that AA's have gotten for us in the US.

This is part of the reason I have stated before bring your tourist dollars down, but leave your politics at home. :yawn:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back