Black Sports : Mayweather vs. Ortiz

Mayweather wins on controversial KO

Updated Sep 18, 2011 3:31 AM ET
LAS VEGAS (AP)

In just one round, Floyd Mayweather Jr. got a head butt, a kiss and a hug from Victor Ortiz before responding with a contentious punch that knocked out his opponent and put the WBC's welterweight belt back around the American's waist.

Mayweather remained unbeaten and did it in emphatic fashion Saturday, stopping Ortiz at 2:59 of the fourth round.
In the decisive fourth round, Ortiz appeared to head butt Mayweather intentionally, prompting referee Joe Cortez to take a point away from him. After the head butt, Ortiz went to embrace Mayweather and gave him a kiss on the cheek.
Seconds later they were in the center of the ring ready to resume action, briefly embraced again, then Mayweather delivered two punches that dropped his opponent and Ortiz was counted out as he tried to get back on his feet.
Ortiz claimed he was hit by a punch before Cortez had asked the fighters to continue.
''I took the break by the referee and I obeyed exactly as I was told,'' Ortiz said. ''And then, boom, he blindsided me.''
''There's two ways to look at it but as far as I was concerned I came here to entertain the fans and they were entertained,'' Ortiz said. ''There was a miscommunication with the referee but nobody is perfect and this was a learning experience.''

Floyd Mayweather took care of Victor Ortiz via controversial fourth-round knockout. If you missed any of the action we've got you covered with the best shots from Saturday night's fights.
Unsurprisingly, Mayweather said his punches were legitimate.
''We touched gloves and we were back to fighting and then I threw the left and right hand after the break,'' Mayweather said. ''In the ring you have to protect yourself at all times.''
Cortez saw nothing wrong with the timing of Mayweather's winning punches.
''Time was in, the fighter needed to keep his guard up. Mayweather did nothing illegal,'' Cortez said.
Mayweather was winning the fight through three rounds, dominating with speed and landing good right hands to the head of Ortiz. He won all three rounds on two ringside scorecards, and two of three on the third.
Ortiz picked up the pace in the fourth round, trying desperately to get inside Mayweather's vaunted defense. He did on occasion and was having a better round when, late in the round, he appeared to intentionally head butt Mayweather as the two fought in Mayweather's corner.
''He did something dirty when it was his corner who said I was dirty,'' Mayweather said. ''But I won the fight.''

READ MORE: http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/Floyd-Mayweather-KOs-Victor-Ortiz-091711?ocid=ansfox11

box_g_mayweather_ortiz_b5_300.jpg

Victor Ortiz let his guard down for just a moment in the fourth round, which was long enough for Floyd Mayweather Jr. to drop Ortiz for the knockout.

LAS VEGAS -- In just one round, Floyd Mayweather Jr. got a head butt, a kiss and a hug from Victor Ortiz.
He responded with a right hand that ended a bizarre fight early.
I knew he would do it i thought in 6 but it came in 4 for Mayweather

full story here

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/i...her-jr-remains-unbeaten-knocking-victor-ortiz

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back