Black Sports : Mayweather....too cocky?

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by Monetary, May 24, 2005.

1. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Check this out....

I would have loved to have been there for that conversation. I bet it was like being at a family bbq in the backyard or at the park. :lol:

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Mayweather is arrogant, but then again most top athletes are!

3. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    Mayweather Jr better take a lesson from Roy Jones Jr. All boxers surcome to better boxers one day if the stay in the game. The higher the perch farther the fall.

4. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I think age coupled with rapid weight gain & loss is what did Roy Jones in. Roy was always cocky, but he was never out of shape. Mayweather is never out of shape either, never has problems making weight....he doesn't have anything to fear in Gatti.

5. Monetary

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Radical Faith...I feel on this one. There's confidence and then there's this. It may have been said out of fun...in a joking manner by Mayweather. I don't know. I wasn't there. But, I wish I was there. A conversation like that between a bunch of Black men must of been lively.

I don't think Roy was focused in either of those fights where lost by knockouts. I really don't. I've never seen him so tentative. However, I do believe it's not over for him. I truly believe that he can make a comeback.

I don't know who would have been quicker. But, I do know that Mayweather hasn't been in the wars that Leonard has been in. Hence, the edge goes to Leonard.

6. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    Roy Jones should stay retired because his legs are shot and he does seem able to take a punch anymore but in his prime he was clearly the best pound for pound.

7. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I agree brother Oceolo, RJJ was the best pound for pound in boxing for 10 years (1993-2003) which is an incredible feat! Like all fighters (in reailty all athletes) his skills eventually started to fade, but in no way does it diminish what he accomplished over his career. Some fair weather fans & Roy Jones haters gloated over his back to back losses to Antonio Tarver and Glencoffe Johnson; however, any objective observer could clearly see that wasn't the Roy Jones of old. History will remember him kindly.

8. Monetary

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Maybe, he should stay retired. But, I think he has a lack of desire to actually fight. I think his fighting style has to be different at this stage of the game. A better defense wouldn't hurt. He hasn't been in any big wars that I know of...so he shouldn't have a lot of wear and tear. He can still fight. He just can't get away with holding his hands down and not utilizing his jab. :D

9. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Pure Power Punches have longer careers than fighters who rely on their boxing skills and speed. RJJ always had bad boxing techinque, but his incredible handspeed & reflexes allowed him to get away with his mistakes. Now that Roy has naturally slowed down because of his age...he simply isn't the same fighter.

10. Monetary

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I totally agree. That's why I said he'd have to change his style of boxing. If he has no desire to do that, then he has no other option but to retire; which is what most people would rather him do. Actually, I'd rather him retire than to get hurt.