Matriarchy

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by Ralfa'il, May 3, 2005.

1. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Is the AfroAmerican community a matriarchy?

Or is it heading in that direction....

2. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    No to both questions.

3. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    My answer is YES, as it very well needs to be.......And it was before we came here.

Most ancient cultural societies (African, Asian, Native American, etc) were Matriarchial and matrilinneal prior to the coming of Western/White Imperialism.

There are signs of matriarchy resurrecting back into African American culture; the influence that women have in families and relationships, in the workplace, in religion, etc.

Matriarchy in modern times only appears to be an affront to our community's values, because all of our values in today's times come form coerced Slave-masters notions of how families should work.

We've been emulating "the master" for far to long. It's time to forsake his ways, and return to our own.

PEACE

4. Ralfa'il

Ratings:
    +16
    ...down to the nitty-nutty gritty.

Peace..

Then why are so many so-called "concious" black men (and I say so called because as much as they talk they have yet to produce a viable society) encouraging our women to be strong, be leaders, and be warriors?

I could say that black men are the only men on this planet who are encouraging our women to be this way...but that wouldn't be specific enough.

I'd rather say CONTEMPORARY black men IN AMERICA are the only men on the planet in history who as a group see no problem with his woman leading him around and being a spokeman and warrior in the community.

Sam

Respect

Don't you think that our community is made more vulnerable and passive by nature when we as men forfeit our DUTY and responsibility as protectors and leaders?

Ok...here we go now...

Those societies were MATRILINIAL meaning the ancestry was determined through the mother's line rather than the fathers.

It had nothing to do with politics and leadership.

Men still were the leaders of the community and family now as they have always been in Africa and Asia.

You can't find me an African family without a strong father figure giving orders and runing the show.

I totally agree with you there.

True, but I think it's natural for men to be leaders and protectos of the community.

We are dominant and territorial by nature, where as women are caring and seek peace and unity by nature.

While a feminine government would be ideal domestically for the sake of peace and tranquility, I think it's dangerous as hell externally and makes us extremely vulnerable.

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    yes, the female needs to learn who she truly is.
    knowledge will set you free.

6. Ralfa'il

Ratings:
    +16
    James

Respect

I'm not talking about treating our sistaz with honor and respect....that goes without saying.

I'm speaking of making them LEADERS and WARRIORS in the community that rival us and take our place.

This is a West Indian man's perspective on Matriarchy and the numerous attempt at suppressing the black nation by destroying black masculinity.

Black Male Patriarchy a Threat to Willie Lynchism

Posted By: Pianke Nubiyang

The attack on Black male power and responsibility is one of the most effective weapons in the systematic destruction of the Black nation whether it is the mass killings of Black males in Dafur, Sudan, where Black women are left vulnerable, unprotected and to be raped. Or whether it is the virulent attack on the weak Black American male (and other former slave-owning colonies) who are still victims of the "Willie Lynch" program where Willie Lynch proposed dividing the Black race, "MALE AGAINST FEMALE, lightskinned against darkskinned, tall against short, house slave against field slave," ect. The rabid attack on Black male "patriarchy," and the call for patriary to be replaced by "matriarchy," has been part of the diabolical scheme used since the days of Arab and European slavery.

When one looks at what is happening in Dafur, Sudan, what does one see. One sees the perpetrators of genocide attacking Black African males, committing genocide by destroying the males, raping the women and forcing the creation of a mixed class in the effort to destroy the fabric of the Black African family structure.

In Sudan, the most horrible and most blatent form of genocide is being used to destroy the Black African family and THE BLACK MALE IS THE FIRST TARGET OF THE ATTACK. In like manner, in the Western nations and elsewhere, the attack on the duty of Black men to do their jobs as fathers and leaders in their communities rather than being irresponsible and misleaders is under attack by radical feminists whose methods are even more devastating than the outright genocide taking place in Sudan at this very moment.

The attack on Black men and the attack on "patriarchy," seems to be part of the old "Willie Lynch" conspiracy to divide and destroy the Black family. Black feminists like slaves and like these Black "Arabs" in Sudan are doing exactly what the enemy wants them to do. They are involved in self-destruction and fracticide of the worse kind.

The idea that keeping Black men at the bottom by villifying the ability of men to perform their duties is simply another philosophy of promoting male oppression. The fact is, when one speaks of the Black male and "patriarchy," one has to understand what "patriarchy" means in the African/Black community around the world. The Black communities worldwide, whether in Australia, Melanesia, India, Africa, the Americas, the Caribbean does not practice the the type of "patriarchy" that nations like Mexico, Italy or the Arab nations practice. Patriarchy in the Black community deals with men doing their duties as men and being left to do their jobs. Patriarchy in some Middle Eastern lands means women wearing burkas, or walking six feet behind their husbands.

On the other hand, the problem in Black America is not Black male "patriarchy" by a Willie Lynch "matriarchal" system that was implemented by force during slavery days. In fact in Sudan's Dafur region where the Black African men are being wiped out and the women raped, one can expect a similar social construct if the overall society and culture of the Africans do nothing to remedy this situation.

http://www.rastafarispeaks.com/cgi-bin/forum/archive1/config.pl?read=43737

Now this man is neither a Muslim, nor does have have much love for Arabs or Europeans...both of whom he charges with destroying the black man and taking advantage of the black woman in an attempt to control the black community.

And I agree with him.

The question is....

How long do you think our women will respect us if they are expected take our place and do our duties?

If we pass that responsibility on to them, then we can no longer blame them if they decide to leave us and go to the white or Asian man who will relieve them of that unnatural burden.

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    i think you see the world in a much more structured way than i do.

i think every one needs to be a leader and a warrior.

the thing about rigid roles is that they can quickly become traps.
    what is the basis for your definitions of the roles of the male and the female?

8. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    A Matriarchal society is a society in which authority is held by females, through whom descent and inheritance are traced.

9. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

Khemet existed as a Matriarchal society for many thousands of years. This is a testament to it's strength, health and life.

10. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Only because everyone else is a patriarchy. :)

Seriously speaking, though, a well-rounded culture needs to possess both matriarchal and partriarchal aspects.