Black Positive People : MATHEMATICIANS, PHYSICISTS, ASTROPHYSICISTS

Discussion in 'Black People Doing Positive Things' started by soulosophy, May 6, 2009.

1. soulosophy

soulosophy Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +123
    Let me first make a suggestion if I may, that there be a forum for the fields of Science and the like?

How often do we hear of one of our Brothers or Sisters receiving recognition or even receiving an award in the field of science? This website presents our great mathematicians, physicists, astronomers, astrophysicists and computer scientists both pasts and present. Ancient math/numerical systems are also exhibited.

The site was set up by Dr Scott Williams born in 1943, a Professor of Mathematics at SUNY. His heritage is mostly African (Yoruba, he believes).

Although the site is very interesting and informational, it’s easy to get lost as there are so many links that one could easily get side-tracked. So hit that ‘back button’ if you want to stay on track.

AIMS OF THE WEBSITE:

For sometime I have been struck of the emphasis, within the american culture, upon achievements in the Sports/Entertainment Industry as indications of success. In the african american subculture, the indications are even stronger - just consider the winners of the Image Awards among others awards. The rare occasion a scientist has won an award, there has been a limitation to the medical field. In addition, where it concerns successes in mathematics and the sciences, I discovered much incorrect or misconstrued information available in texts and especially on the web.

The impetus for creating this web site was a desire to suggest modern mathematicans and scientists as images of success to present to the african american community. It is my personal view that thinking precisely is more important than looking good.

My qualifications include 8 years in the segregated Baltimore public schools (4 more as a guinea pig), 30 years as a research mathematician, regular reader of the Notices of the American Mathematics Society and The American Mathematical Monthly, co-founder (1969) of the first african american mathematicians group, NAM, and co-founder (1997) of the first african american research mathematicians group, CAARMS, a personal library of thousands of books by africans and african americans, and an interest in history.

Dr. Scott W. Williams
    4/29/98

Dr. Williams and his wife Glo
    [​IMG]

Dr. Williams
    [​IMG]

‘N-Joy!

Ancient Mathematicians

Including:-
    - Lebombo bone in Swaziland, the oldest mathematical object
    - Ishango bone Zaire-Uganda 8000 years ago
    - Kemet before the Greeks who borrowed the numbers
    - pre-Colonial Nigeria – Yoruba numeral system
    - Angola-Zambia
    http://www.math.buffalo.edu/mad/Ancient-Africa/index.html

Computer Scientist of the Afrikan Diaspora

http://www.math.buffalo.edu/mad/computer-science/cs-peeps.html#people

Afrikan Physicists, Astrophysicists & Astronomers

http://www.math.buffalo.edu/mad/physics/physics-peeps.html

Love, Peace!

2. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    This is great and informative Sister soulosophy
    Thank You for sharing

I like the sciences.

Mos Def played Dr. Thomas... in Something the Lord Made.
    Great movie and performance by Mos Def.

There is Dr. Thomas, Vivien Theodore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivien_Thomas
    Without any education past high school, Thomas rose above poverty and racism to become a cardiac surgery pioneer and a teacher of operative techniques to many of the country's most prominent surgeons.

http://www.medicalarchives.jhmi.edu/sgml/thomasvt.html

He is quoted to have been "the most un-talked about, unappreciated, unknown giant in the African American community. What he helped facilitate impacted people all over the world.

Thomas was a major contributor in the development of operative techniques. He collaborated on the design of surgical equipment. He designed the clamps used today in Open Heart Surgery.

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    Awesome i say thank you as i can learn a lot here ......

4. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    Prof. Gates

Prof. Sylvester James Gates, Jr.

BS Physics (1973) and BS in Mathematics (1973) Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1977)

Area: elementary particle physics and quantum field theory

Currently: John S. Toll Professor of Physics at the University of Maryland

URL: umdphysics.umd.edu/index.php/about-us/people/faculty/29-faculty/135-gates.html

The address has his CV. The URL is formatted that way because I don't have enough posts to link directly.