Black People : MASTER/SLAVE COMPUTER LINGO?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by aretha, Nov 30, 2003.

1. aretha

aretha Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm....
    =========

L.A. Wants to End 'Master' and 'Slave' Equipment
    Wed Nov 26, 8:04 AM ET Add Oddly Enough - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Dan Whitcomb

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Los Angeles officials have asked that manufacturers, suppliers and contractors stop using the terms "master" and "slave" on computer equipment, saying such terms are unacceptable and offensive.

The request -- which has some suppliers furious and others busy re-labeling components -- came after an unidentified worker spotted a videotape machine carrying devices labeled "master" and "slave" and filed a discrimination complaint with the county's Office of Affirmative Action Compliance.

In the computer industry, "master" and "slave" are used to refer to primary and secondary hard disk drives. The terms are also used in other industries.

"Based on the cultural diversity and sensitivity of Los Angeles County, this is not an acceptable identification label," Joe Sandoval, division manager of purchasing and contract services, said in a memo sent to County vendors.

"We would request that each manufacturer, supplier and contractor review, identify and remove/change any identification or labeling of equipment components that could be interpreted as discriminatory or offensive in nature," Sandoval said in the memo, which was distributed last week and made available to Reuters.

The memo did not include any suggestions for alternative labels.

Dennis Tafoya, director of the affirmative action office, said in a separate memo that an "exhaustive search" had been undertaken to find all such labels and replace them with more "appropriate" ones. A form was sent to all departments to identify equipment carrying the labels "master" and "slave" or any other offensive terms.

Faced with an avalanche of complaints from vendors and the general public, Sandoval told Reuters in an interview that his memo was intended as "nothing more than a request" and not an ultimatum or policy change.

"I do understand that this term has been an industry standard for years and years and this is nothing more than a plea to vendors to see what they can do," he said. "It appears that some folks have taken this a little too literally."

Sandoval said that he had already rejected a suggestion that the county stop buying all equipment carrying the "master" and "slave" labels and had no intention of enforcing a ban on such terms with suppliers.

"But we are culturally sensitive and we have 90,000 employees," he said. "We have to take these things seriously."

Sandoval added that in addition to the e-mails he's received "telling me how stupid I am and how I should be fired" he has gotten a positive response from some companies willing to reexamine their labels.

In June, the Los Angeles city council unanimously passed a law requiring that any companies doing business with the city disclose profits they may have made from slavery in the 19th Century. In 2000, the council supported federal legislation seeking reparations for descendants of slaves.

2. Khemetian

Khemetian Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    So petty... lol :puke2:

3. uzoka

uzoka Well-Known Member MEMBER

writer
    Ratings:
    +8
    Now we're talking, see what we can acheive when we concentrate on the bigger picture?
    Now, who do I have to contact because I'm not too crazy about the word, 'niggard'?

4. Hesaid

Hesaid Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Unless someone is looking directly @ me an calling me a slave I have no
    reason to associate myself with such a term,for my memory ascends to higher
    titles and achievements & greater times,although it poses a question about the mind of the
    offended. Incidentaly, slavery was a decent means of justice for rapists and murderers before
    white people (with their unbalanced moral constitution) re-defined it.
    FORGIVE THEM FOR THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO!

I am not the owner of the title slave.

5. sha-mecca allah

sha-mecca allah Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    that's what's wrong with some black people.
    they really think they're slaves, come from slaves.
    in turn if they even hear the word slaves they think of themselves.

"emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" © b. marley

6. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hesaid and sha-mecca-allah, I understand where you're coming from but come on now, don't you think there's enough negative history around those two words to warrant support of the removal of them. I don't think we have to think like or take ownership of a term in order to be justified in our concerns and to raise it as an issue.

They are not just words alone. Words have meaning. How words are used sends messages. When 'male' and 'female' are used to describe electrical plugs, I think we understand very well what that means. Is the only time you get upset is when someone has to call you by a name in order for you to be offended? I would guess not.

Subliminal messages are just as powerful and impactful as overt messages. I'm sure you know that there is a concept called subtle racism. Not only does racism bother me but classism does too and 'master', 'slave' sends a clear message to me that wreaks of racism in America and classism worldwide. Both are negative in my opinion and expresses elitism and arrogance.

We we keep thinking individually and how things only affect us, then how will we ever make a difference for the entire community? If one among us is offended, then it's time to deal with it and not sit back saying well, they didn't call me that, so I ain't bothered.

As far as I'm concerned, America needs to eradicate the concept and usage of master/slave terminology.

uzoka, I agree, now let's deal with that "n" word in all of its forms.

Peace.

7. Hesaid

Ratings:
    +2
    sha-mecca-allah love that name
    Queen, I beg to differ, If indeed we let such
    a term become part of our current history by using any
    such incident to backtrack then indeed we must look at
    the meaning of the word before we outlaw this. In the scripture
    a person(not race specific) becomes the servant of another if he
    has been found guilty of a felonious act such as Raping ones daughter
    wife or Sister or even Murder,leaving them at the liberty of the family if they
    chose not to put them to death. They were clothed fed and housed but not
    paid for the rest of their lives, that to me is a sense of justice. Although we
    have been through the worst possible translation of this law I still would use
    it in my ideal society in its intended manner.
    As for subliminal messages, yes I agree with your point, I read Subliminal
    seduction, No logo and im reading Fast food nation currently. If the way the
    master slave metaphore was used is in this context it is an issue like
    I dunno the master component was colored white & the slave black(maybe with lips
    on it, jus playin) but bearing in mind we invented it and owned slaves
    (In the righteous meaning of the word) way before we became victims, I say its an old, old, metaphore.

Money jus tryna get paid.
    I think its really silly how we jump up at the word slave being used.
    We need to just take the word Master and be that, or dont we remember.
    Im more concerned with the real physical slaves who are fighting for their
    master (Shoshana)dancing(50cent) and acting(Halle Berry) for their Master.

isgsitrmotw

8. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hesaid, I understand your perspective as well as I understand the "sticks and stones..." theory. By no means am I suggesting that Black people get hung up on meaningless words. I don't think that Blacks are letting the "master/slave" words become part of their current history when they interpret them this way because these words never left our history since the time they became a part of our history in this country. Our reality ain't a pretty one and the words 'master/slave' conjures up some memories that many of us wish we could forget, however--we should be careful of the things we choose to overlook because sometimes those very things just might come back to bite us in the butts. Give an inch and they want the WHOLE thing.

Let me share another way I view this. The same way that the "n" word today has a different connotation depending on who is using it, it still stings and sends a negative message whenever you hear it used. I don't believe in overlooking any real or perceived situation that could resemble a part of our history that is cruel and brutal. But I'm still not saying that we should get hung up on it or get our noses all out of joint because of it.

I appreciate that you're differing with me on this because I don't think that it's a situation that has to be viewed the same by everyone as long as what we ultimately do isn't something that is contradictory or detrimental to us as a people.

Peace!

9. Hesaid

Ratings:
    +2
    NNQueen: I know ultimately we are
    mature enough to know how far to read into the phychological effects
    of slavery,bottom line is we want similar things in the way of justice.
    Im returning the peace to you tenfold.
    :)

10. Holly Wood

Holly Wood Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Uuuuummm, next real crisis pleeeeze!!!

I wonder how many homeless brothers and sisters got stepped over, road by, or disregarded, as those individuals whom were so disenchanted w/ the labeling of 2 technical devices stuck on the "inside" of a computer marched on to protest?

How many kids suffering from deprivation went unattended as memos were typed and emails spammed out?

How many black on black crimes went unnoticed?

How many more hard core injustices went unprotested?

What plots against "us" were planned in the present tense?

etc. etc. etc. etc.....

As we cling to some Western Digital or Seagate HARD DRIVES!!!!

"Where can I catch the bus to the 'Have You Saved A Blade of Grass Today' convention?"

OH - MY - GOODNESS!!!