Black People : Massive malaria vaccine trial to begin in Africa

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by soulosophy, Nov 13, 2008.

1. soulosophy

soulosophy Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +123
    JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (AP) — Researchers trying to create the world's first malaria vaccine are launching a massive medical trial as early as next month involving 16,000 children that could be the largest such trial ever conducted on children in Africa.

British-drugmaker GlaxoSmithKline PLC is teaming with the PATH Malaria Vaccine Initiative, which is an anti-malaria charity funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and clinics and research centers in Africa to develop a malaria vaccine.

"This is probably going to be one of the largest studies in infants and in children in Africa," said Joe Cohen, a top vaccine researcher for GlaxoSmithKline.

Malaria, caused by parasites and spread by mosquitoes, kills nearly 1 million people every year, most of them children in Africa. The trial may start as early as next month, and should be well under way by January, said Cohen.

The massive vaccine trials will be conducted in Burkina Faso, Gabon, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique and Tanzania. Dr. Christian Loucq, director of the Malaria Vaccine Initiative, said the project has been working over the past year to upgrade laboratory, computer and other equipment in those countries, train technicians, and even help develop local equivalents of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to ensure the trials are properly monitored.

(read more) http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jNHd8uxRpyuFjobVTdZpBWBU0G9QD94C90N00

2. soulosophy

soulosophy Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +123
    These western pharmaceutical companies cannot be trusted.. I smell rats called 'Depopulation' & 'Genocide', be it killing off the woman's ability to procreate through vaccinations or injecting the children with viruses. Each time they do studies with vaccines/drug testing on our brothers, sisters and our babies, our people end up with all sorts of killer viruses as they continue using our people like lab animals.

What gives them the right? And they deem it as though they are doing a noble cause. Does human rights not exist in Africa?

We are sure in a bad way as a people. Unity is a must lest we are exterminated!

3. blackeyes

blackeyes Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +449
    Sad.
    Reminds me of Origin of Aids documentary. Many people were forced by elders to get "polio vaccine" from white scientists/doctors.
    All the dirt they've done in Africa they are still welcomed w/ open arms. tsk tsk tsk

4. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    you only smellin em on account of the fact that they all over this!!

gotta figure out how to get in on them "monitoring" teams; ASA(F)P!

5. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    just say no to "urban renewal"!

"follow the money". when they spend that much, they expect much or they figure the cost is just part of doing "business". "what's a few million if we've already got 4,000 of them and we're about to get 16,000 more?".

but "at least" somebody gets an infrastructure laid in place for "somebody's" usage!! "and just look, honey; it's prewired for internet!"

i'm just so tired of this ...

6. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622

GlaxoSmithKline manufactures Vaccines given to people (and required for US children to enter school) in the US and UK, how do you reconcile with this? If you've ever seen anyone suffering from Tuberculosis or Malaria, perhaps you will see it is not as simple as the governments(African)refusing grants or refusing these companies to manufacture Vaccines for preventable diseases.

7. blackeyes

blackeyes Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +449
    @Amnet77. huh?
    you trust them?

"Researchers trying to create the world's first malaria vaccine are launching a massive medical trial as early as next month involving 16,000 children that could be the largest such trial ever conducted on children in Africa"

so I guess that means they are experimenting, huh?

"While the researchers were optimistic, it will be several years before they know whether their vaccine candidate is safe and effective enough for wide use."

That's very comforting, I trust them too.

8. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Are you Vaccine free? and if you have a child is your child Vaccine free? pls do some research on Malaria then get back to me.

My point is if they wanted us all dead we all we'll be dead (blacks around the world) no one can escape been vaccinated, its either required by law (depending on where u live) or done as a safety precaution. The issues isn't about trust, it's about throwing the baby out with the bath water. Lets look at all the facts before making assumption e.g could they be using African scientists?

9. Astrologer4U

Astrologer4U Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486

Amnatt77, what do you think about Aids entering South Africa during apartheid and what do you think about the medications they are providing aids victims with in South Africa?

Astrologer4U

10. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    i get what you are asking, but yes, i am vaccine free in that i haven't had a vaccination for anything in a few decades or more. i've been fortunate to live in an environment where such is less likely to be required. with all the stuff that this world has, there should be a much better balance of infrastructure to promote healthy living. sick minds that would allow such an imbalance have shown that they are sick enough to do lots of stuff that no one would/could imagine anyone doing to anyone else. i'd be nervous to entrust my child[ren] to such a mindset.

don't need to do research; malaria is a BadThing(TM). that's a given. better "treatment" for the disease would be a very GoodThing(TM).

even better would be an environment that is a lot more resistant to malaria in the first place. there's lots of money and knowledge around this planet. it is most inappropriate that any child, or adult, human lacks for anything. reason notwithstanding, any organism that does this to itself is really very very sick.

with that particular evidence before the court, would the court entertain the possibility that "something" might "happen" to some of these 20,000 African children? was nothing learned of trials conducted on the 4,000 since 2003? are African children the only ones susceptible to malaria? are there any other children, anywhere else at risk that might also benefit from the "free" treatments during these trials?

if one turns the water up slow enough, one can boil a live frog ... or a human.
    regardless of where one lives, one should have the security of knowing that one is safe from long known diseases. if not by inoculation, then by reason of the "cleanliness" of one's environment. and "because it's 'the law' ..." has gotten quite a few of us sometimes rather messily dead.
    there is the issue of an effective malaria vaccine. this would be nice. but there is also an issue of trust; there is plenty of proven reason to a least look at that consideration, yes?
    wouldn't it be a wonderful world where we just knew that there were in fact African medical scientists/teams/facilities involved, being "used", or even directing the research! sadly, given the degree of "trust" that "they" have repeatedly told us that we should extend to them again this time, ("honest, that was an isolated incident. it won't happen again ..."), i'd really like to consider that they might be using African scientists. ... er ... are they?

i just feel it would be good to get an idea of what has been found with the first 4,000 over the last 5 years (other than a sense that research could be taken to the next level). i'd also like to know if some of that additional 16,000 could spread the joy of being guinea pigs amongst other children to be sure that this works on all children that could be at risk of malaria. why 20,000 African children? can't somebody else's babies share this risk too? or are our children just especial in some capacity?