Black Relationships : Masochistic Personality Disorder

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by jamesfrmphilly, Oct 4, 2007.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    Masochistic (Self-defeating) Personality Disorder ​

Self-defeating Personality Disorder is a pervasive pattern of self-defeating behavior, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts. The person may often avoid or undermine pleasurable experiences, be drawn to situations or relationships in which he or she will suffer, and prevent others from helping him or her, as indicated by at least five of the following:

Chooses people and situations that lead to disappointment, failure, or mistreatment even when better options are clearly available.

Rejects or renders ineffective the attempts of others to help him of her.

Following positive personal events (e.g., new achievement), responds with depression, guilt, or a behavior that produces pain ( e.g., an accident).

Incites angry or rejecting responses from others and then feels hurt, defeated, or humiliated (e.g., makes fun of spouse in public, provoking an angry retort, then feels devastated).

Rejects opportunities for pleasure, or is reluctant to acknowledge enjoying himself or herself (despite having adequate social skills and the capacity for pleasure).

Fails to accomplish tasks crucial to his or her personal objectives despite demonstrated ability to do so, (e.g., helps fellow students write papers , but is unable to write his or her own).

Engages in excessive self-sacrifice that is unsolicited by the intended recipients of the sacrifice;

Is uninterested in or rejects people who consistently treat him or her well, (e.g., is not attracted to caring sexual partners).

do this remind you of anybody?

2. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    "The masochist has been taught from an early age to hate herself and consider herself unworthy of love and worthless as a person. Consequently, he or she is prone to self-destructive, punishing, and self-defeating behaviors. Though capable of pleasure and possessed of social skills, the masochist avoids or undermines pleasurable experiences. He does not admit to enjoying himself, seeks suffering, pain, and hurt in relationships and situations, rejects help and resents those who offer it. She actively renders futile attempts to assist or ameliorate or mitigate or solve her problems and predicaments."

this is a lot of people that i know.........

3. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    It is cureable?

4. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    yup, most mental illness can be corrected readily. the main issue is lack of diagnosis and lack of knowledge. once you see a behavior as what it is you can decide to change it. you have to be able to recognize the illness as something external of yourself. it is NOT you.

the trick of the devil is he makes you think he does not exist. he makes you think it is just the way it is. that is a lie. YOU determine the way it is.

5. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    If one recognizes oneself in the description you gave - how does one go about fixing it? the decision to change and knowing how to change.. expand please..

6. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    education. as i learned more about the details of my position as a black man in america, my mental illness definitely changed and got better.
    also, specific education about the disease that one has. knowledge is power. lastly, there is therapy. i have done a lot of therapy and it helped me.

my entire program now is to encourage black people to stop hating on themselves and direct that hate onto white people.
    anything we can do to releive the self hate is good.

7. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    Education and knowledge is power - I agree. therapy? I'm not a strong believer.

hmmmm. what i find interesting is your programme - anything to relieve the self hate is good. Redirecting hate from yourself to another, is good. Am I reading that right?

8. Goddess Auset333

Goddess Auset333 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +23
    Beloved Mighty warrior JFP:

JFP: yup, most mental illness can be corrected readily. the main issue is lack of diagnosis and lack of knowledge. once you see a behavior as what it is you can decide to change it. you have to be able to recognize the illness as something external of yourself. it is NOT you.

Thank you for addressing this subject.
    :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
    http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50756

:SuN030: :SuN030: :SuN030:

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    *start info-mercial*

:lol: ... yes ... i once had a masochistic personality disorder and Brother James cured me ... look at me now --> ... :nuts:

*end info-mercial*

:heart:

Destee

10. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    well said!

nice aspect. Do you need to understand why something is, in order to rid yourself of it? or can you just recognize it and rid yourself of it?