Black Ancestors : Mary Fields: Stagecoach Mary

Queenie

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
EX-SLAVE MARY FIELDS FELT AT HOME IN MONTANA, WHETHER WORKING IN A CONVENT OR MANAGING A MAIL ROUTE.

A Black gun-totin' female in the American wild west. She was six feet tall; heavy; tough; short-tempered; two-fisted; powerful; and packed a pair of six-shooters and an eight or ten-gauge shotgun. A legend in her own time, she was also known as STAGECOACH MARY.
http://www.blackcowboys.com/maryfields.htm

PurpleMoons

Administrator
STAFF
Apr 22, 2003
Once a 'hired hand' at the mission confronted her with the complaint that she was earning $2 a month more than he was ($9 vs. $7), and why did she think that she was worth so much money anyway, being only an uppity colored woman? (His name, phonetically, was Yu Lum Duck.) To make matters worse, he made this same complaint and general description in public at one of the local saloons (where Mary was a regular customer), and followed that up with a (more polite) version directly to Bishop Filbus N.E. Berwanger himself (to no avail).

This was more than enough to boil Mary's blood, and at the very next opportunity the two of them were engaged in a shoot-out behind the nunnery, next to the sheep shed. (Actually it turned into a shoot-out, because when Mary went to simply shoot the man as he cleaned out the latrine -- figuring to dump his body in there -- she missed. He shot back and the fracas was on.)

Bullets flew in every direction until the six-guns were empty, and blood was spilt. Neither actually hit the other by direct fire, but one bullet shot by Mary bounced off the stone wall of the nunnery and hit the forlorn man in the left buttock, which completely ruined his new $1.85 trousers. Not only that, but other bullets Mary fired passed through the laundry of the bishop, which was hanging on the line, generously ventilating his drawers and the two white shirts he had had shipped from Boston only the week before. What his laundry was doing at the nunnery is not clear.

One lout failed to pay his bill to her however (he had ordered extra starch in the cuffs and collar). Hearing him out in the street, she left the saloon and knocked him flat with one blow - at the age of 72. She told her wobbly drinking companions that the satisfaction she got from that act was worth more than the bill owed, so the score was settled. As luck would have it, the tooth of his that she knocked out was giving him trouble anyway, so there was no reprisal. Actually, he was grateful.

Way to go Mary Fields!:welldone:
Sisters was bringing the heat for some time now, huh?

So, Yu Lum Duck got his raise? Hahahaha! I Know that butt was sooooore.lol It's mind boggling reading that an Oriental tried to step to our Sister Mary.

Thank you for posting about Mary. It was a refreshing look at the Legacy 0f Black women of the 19th century.

(Say it again Sister! Who are you?)

I am Mary Fields
People call me "Black Mary."
People call me "Stagecoach Mary."
I live in Cascade, Tennessee.
I am six feet tall.
I weigh over two hundred pounds.
A woman of the 19th Century,
I do bold and exciting things.
I wear pants.
I smoke a big black cigar.
I drink whiskey.
I carry a pistol.
I love adventure.
I travel the country,
driving a stagecoach,
delivering the mail to distant towns.
Strong, I fight through rainstorms.
Tough, I fight through snowstorms.
I risk hurricanes and tornadoes.
I am independent.
No body tells me what to do.
No body tells me where to go.
When I'm not delivering mail,
I like to build buildings.
I like to smoke and drink in bars with the men.
I like to be rough.
I like to be rowdy.
I also like to be loving.
I like to be caring.
I like to baby sit.
I like to plant flowers and tend my garden.
I like to give away corsages and bouquets.
I like being me, Mary Fields

Queenie

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
Too funny

:lol: Sister PMoons...girl that quote had me laughing to the point of tears...:lol:

Stagecoach Mary....the sista was B-A-D!! :rolling:

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Thank you Sister Queenie ... i enjoyed learning of our Beloved Ancestor as well !

The following excerpt made me think that the entire US Postal system got that saying from this very woman ... you know the one ... through rain, sleet, and snow ... or sump'n ... the mail will be delivered!

In 1895, she landed a job carrying the United States Mail. Since she had always been so independent and determined, this work was perfect for her, and quickly she developed a reputation for delivering letters and parcels no matter what the weather, nor how rugged the terrain. She and her mule, Moses, plunged through anything, from bitterly raw blizzards to wilting heat, reaching remote miner's cabins and other outposts with important mail which helped to accommodate the land claim process, as well as other matters needing expeditious communication. These efforts on her part helped greatly to advance the development of a considerable portion of central Montana, a contribution for which she is given little credit.
Like my new avatar ??? :wink:

Yes, i am trying to send some subliminal messages !

:heart:

Destee

Queenie

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
Subliminal messages, huh? :laugh:

Sister Des, you're about as subtle as a SCUD MISSILE.... :coffee:

Queenie :heart:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
frankster Black People : Too Black Too Strong.... "stage coach (black) mary" FIELDS Black People Open Forum 0
river Black Spirituality Religion : Mary Fields and the Best Friend a Black Man Can Have Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
G Black People : Mary L Trump on President "Love That Goya" Trump Black People Open Forum 0
SkinTone Black Men : 2020 Mary Jane Health & Wellness festival in Peoria Illinois. Black Men 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Mary J. Blige Celebrated Her 48th Birthday With A Bikini Picture Black Entertainment 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : ‘Mary Queen of Scots’ Fact Check: Was Queen Elizabeth’s Ambassador Actually Black? Black Entertainment 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : mary-pat-hector-19-runs for-city-council-georgia Black People Politics 0
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : MARY J. BLIGE AND KENDU ARE DIVORCING! Black Entertainment 11
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Virgo the Virgin and Isis and mary AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : MARY & GODDESS ISIS: The pretender and the Contender #4 AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Mary & Tefnut Kiss the feet of Osiris & Jesus AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Mary: the mother , the sister, Wife of Jesus AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Mary the Virgin: Bogus as Bogoas the eunuch AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Mary magdalene: Flower of Tower AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Black Poetry : Starving mary Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
MS234 Black Entertainment : Method Man ft. Mary J Blige - You're all I need Black Entertainment 1
jamesfrmphilly Black Spirituality Religion : Mary Mary: ‘Christians can be saved and sexual’ Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 28
CosmicMessenger Audio Video Web Conferencing : John Coltrane - Cousin Mary Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
CosmicMessenger Audio Video Web Conferencing : Mary J. Blige - Everything Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : MARY HOUSE OF HYSSOP & MARY OF NT AACOOLDRE 1
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : Mary J. Blige - I'm Goin' Down Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : Wyclef Jean featuring Mary J. Blige - 911 ft. Mary J. Blige Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : Mary J. Blige - It's A Wrap Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
RAPTOR Ghana : Gil Noble - Like It Is: Interview Clarke, Smalls and Mary Hoover on their trip to Ghana Ghana 1
cherryblossom Black People : Mary J. Blige Apology for Burger King Commercial Black People Open Forum 10
Clyde C Coger Jr Audio Video Web Conferencing : Mary Mary - Go Get It Audio Video Web Conferencing 4
info-moetry Audio Video Web Conferencing : Mary J. Blidge feat. Lauryn Hill - All that i can say Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
info-moetry Audio Video Web Conferencing : Mary J. Blidge - Your Child Live Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
noor100 Black Muslims : Mary and Prophet Jesus [AS] [in the Qur'an] Islam Study Group 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Mary: Star of the Sea AACOOLDRE 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Ghostface Killah feat. Mary J. Blige - All That I Got is You Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
S Black People : BLACK ATHENA: Dr. Clarke & Prof. Martin Bernal debate prof. Mary Leftkowitz and Prof. Guy Rogers. Black People Open Forum 4
RAPTOR Black Spirituality Religion : Protestant and catholic debate on Mary Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 26
info-moetry Audio Video Web Conferencing : Mary J. Feat. Meth - All I Need Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Mary J. Blige - Take Me As I Am Audio Video Web Conferencing 2
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Mary J Blige - Share My World Audio Video Web Conferencing 2
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Mary J. Blige - Be Without You Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Hail Mary - 2Pac - Makaveli Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Case ft. Mary J. Blige & Foxy Brown- Touch Me, Tease Me Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
info-moetry Audio Video Web Conferencing : Mary J. Blige - your Child Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Mary J. Blige - Not Gon' Cry Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
info-moetry Audio Video Web Conferencing : Jaheim ft. Mary J. - Beauty & a Thug Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Musiq Soulchild - ifuleave feat. Mary J. Blige Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Rick James - Mary Jane Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Method Man feat. Mary J. Blige - I'll Be There For You/You're All I Need To Get By Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Mary J. Blige - Seven Days ft. George Benson Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Black Entertainment : Mary Jane Girls Black Entertainment 4
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Mary's Age when she gave birth AACOOLDRE 3
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : How Mary became a virgin AACOOLDRE 0
noor100 Black Ancestors : Mary McLeod Bethune Honoring Black Ancestors 0