$$RICH$$

Lyon King Admin.
STAFF
Mar 21, 2001
Da~WINDY*CITY //CHICAGO
Occupation
BUSINESS owner
A true winner to higher learning by this once public school teacher
I've seen it witness it and felt the impact it made in lives .

MRS. MARVA N COLLINS

Marva Collins grew up in Atmore, Alabama at a time when segregation was the rule. Black people were not permitted to use the public library, and her schools had few books, and no indoor plumbing. Nonetheless, her family instilled in her an awareness of the family’s historical excellence and helped develop her strong desire for learning, achievement and independence. After graduating from Clark College in Atlanta, Georgia, she taught school in Alabama for two years. She moved to Chicago and taught in Chicago’s public school system for fourteen years.

Her experiences in that system, coupled with her dissatisfaction with the quality of education that her two youngest children were receiving in prestigious private schools, convinced her that children deserved better than what was passing for acceptable education. That conviction led to her decision to open her own school on the second floor of her home. She took the $5,000 balance in her school pension fund and began her educational program with an enrollment of her own two children and four other neighborhood youngsters.

Westside preparatory School was founded in 1975 in Garfield Park, a Chicago inner-city area. During the first year, Marva took in learning disabled, problem children and even one child who had been labeled by Chicago public school authorities as borderline retarded. At the end of the first year, every child scored at least five grades higher proving that the previous labels placed on these children were misguided. Marva’s graduates have entered some of the nation’s finest colleges and universities, such as Harvard, Yale, and Stanford, to mention just a few. And, they have become physicians, lawyers, engineers, educators, and entered other professions.

Ms. Collins has received many accolades in recognition of her outstanding work with children. She was featured on Good Morning, America, 20/20, Fox News, and many more programs too numerous to list. A made-for-television movie titled, The Marva Collins Story starred Cicely Tyson and Morgan Freeman first aired in1 1982, and is still presented on television. Some of her awards include:

- The Jefferson Award for Benefiting the Disadvantaged
- The Humanitarian Award for Excellence
- Legendary Women of the World Award
- Many honorary doctoral degrees from universities such as
Amherst, Dartmouth, Notre Dame, and Clark University
- The prestigious National Humanities Medal in 2004

Marva Collins trains teachers in her educational program and methodology. Her curriculum is based on classical literature, black culture,and other subject material that contain ideas, lofty thoughts, and abstract concepts.

Marva Collins, born August 31, 1936, to Henry and Bessie Knight, Jr. in Atmore, Alabama, is an educator who in 1975 started Westside Preparatory School in Garfield Park, an impoverished neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois. She ran the school for more than 30 years until it closed in 2008, due to lack of sufficient enrollment and funding.
[1] She is famous for applying classical education successfully with impoverished students, many of whom had been wrongly labelled as 'learning-disabled' by public schools. She once wrote, "I have discovered few learning disabled students in my three decades of teaching. I have, however, discovered many, many victims of teaching inabilities." [2] She has written a number of manuals, books and motivational tracts describing her history and methods. She was most widely publicized in the 1981 biographical TV movie The Marva Collins Story starring Cicely Tyson and Morgan Freeman.
She graduated from Clark College in Atlanta, In 1996 she began supervising three Chicago public schools that had been placed on probation. In 2004 she received a National Humanities Medal,

QUOTES of MARVA !

“Don't try to fix the students, fix ourselves first. The good teacher makes the poor student good and the good student superior. When our students fail, we, as teachers, too, have failed.”

Excellence is not an act but a habit. The things you do the most are the things you will do best.

Determination and perseverance move the world; thinking that others will do it for you is a sure way to fail.”

“The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another.”

Trust yourself. Think for yourself. Act for yourself. Speak for yourself. Be yourself. Imitation is suicide.”

“Mr. Meant-to has a friend, his name is Didn't-Do. Have you met them? They live together in a house called Never-Win. And I am told that it is haunted by the Ghost of Might-have-Been.”

She had change the way school should be taught and with her style she became a living legend in her time.
getting out of the public system and intop our own ways of teaching from homebase would give our children
a better outlook into life and the american system.

:read::read::read::read::read:

Ankhur

Oct 4, 2009
Brooklyn
Occupation
owner of various real estate concerns
A true winner to higher learning by this once public school teacher
I've seen it witness it and felt the impact it made in lives .

MRS. MARVA N COLLINS

Marva Collins grew up in Atmore, Alabama at a time when segregation was the rule. Black people were not permitted to use the public library, and her schools had few books, and no indoor plumbing. Nonetheless, her family instilled in her an awareness of the family’s historical excellence and helped develop her strong desire for learning, achievement and independence. After graduating from Clark College in Atlanta, Georgia, she taught school in Alabama for two years. She moved to Chicago and taught in Chicago’s public school system for fourteen years.

Her experiences in that system, coupled with her dissatisfaction with the quality of education that her two youngest children were receiving in prestigious private schools, convinced her that children deserved better than what was passing for acceptable education. That conviction led to her decision to open her own school on the second floor of her home. She took the $5,000 balance in her school pension fund and began her educational program with an enrollment of her own two children and four other neighborhood youngsters.

Westside preparatory School was founded in 1975 in Garfield Park, a Chicago inner-city area. During the first year, Marva took in learning disabled, problem children and even one child who had been labeled by Chicago public school authorities as borderline retarded. At the end of the first year, every child scored at least five grades higher proving that the previous labels placed on these children were misguided. Marva’s graduates have entered some of the nation’s finest colleges and universities, such as Harvard, Yale, and Stanford, to mention just a few. And, they have become physicians, lawyers, engineers, educators, and entered other professions.

Ms. Collins has received many accolades in recognition of her outstanding work with children. She was featured on Good Morning, America, 20/20, Fox News, and many more programs too numerous to list. A made-for-television movie titled, The Marva Collins Story starred Cicely Tyson and Morgan Freeman first aired in1 1982, and is still presented on television. Some of her awards include:

- The Jefferson Award for Benefiting the Disadvantaged
- The Humanitarian Award for Excellence
- Legendary Women of the World Award
- Many honorary doctoral degrees from universities such as
Amherst, Dartmouth, Notre Dame, and Clark University
- The prestigious National Humanities Medal in 2004

Marva Collins trains teachers in her educational program and methodology. Her curriculum is based on classical literature, black culture,and other subject material that contain ideas, lofty thoughts, and abstract concepts.

Marva Collins, born August 31, 1936, to Henry and Bessie Knight, Jr. in Atmore, Alabama, is an educator who in 1975 started Westside Preparatory School in Garfield Park, an impoverished neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois. She ran the school for more than 30 years until it closed in 2008, due to lack of sufficient enrollment and funding.
[1] She is famous for applying classical education successfully with impoverished students, many of whom had been wrongly labelled as 'learning-disabled' by public schools. She once wrote, "I have discovered few learning disabled students in my three decades of teaching. I have, however, discovered many, many victims of teaching inabilities." [2] She has written a number of manuals, books and motivational tracts describing her history and methods. She was most widely publicized in the 1981 biographical TV movie The Marva Collins Story starring Cicely Tyson and Morgan Freeman.
She graduated from Clark College in Atlanta, In 1996 she began supervising three Chicago public schools that had been placed on probation. In 2004 she received a National Humanities Medal,

QUOTES of MARVA !

“Don't try to fix the students, fix ourselves first. The good teacher makes the poor student good and the good student superior. When our students fail, we, as teachers, too, have failed.”

Excellence is not an act but a habit. The things you do the most are the things you will do best.

Determination and perseverance move the world; thinking that others will do it for you is a sure way to fail.”

“The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another.”

Trust yourself. Think for yourself. Act for yourself. Speak for yourself. Be yourself. Imitation is suicide.”

“Mr. Meant-to has a friend, his name is Didn't-Do. Have you met them? They live together in a house called Never-Win. And I am told that it is haunted by the Ghost of Might-have-Been.”

She had change the way school should be taught and with her style she became a living legend in her time.
getting out of the public system and intop our own ways of teaching from homebase would give our children
a better outlook into life and the american system.

:read::read::read::read::read:
The problem is now, "No Child Left Behind" has left her wisdom behind and it's up to us to form some sort of National Black eduction think tank and fund so that if the schools will not provide her wisdom, we will so via free software to parents and free community educational centers

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jamesfrmphilly Black Education / Schools : marva-collins-dies-at-age-78 Black Education / Schools 2
B Black Poetry : Cooking Miss Marva Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
S Black People : Allen West on Jason Collins. Black People Open Forum 2
S Black People Politics : Obama Calls Jason Collins, 'Impressed By His Courage' In Coming Out Black People Politics 34
jamesfrmphilly Black Sports : NBA player Jason Collins comes out as gay Black Sports 65
cherryblossom Black Entertainment : Lyn Collins Black Entertainment 3
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Bootsy Collins - I'd Rather Be With You Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
R Black Poetry : Close my file folders went to style at Kroger have to watch my shoulder want cake from the heart so Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : My style maybe wild and wrong in hummers when I dial phone numbers just to rap to chicks and be sli Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : for him time to amuse but confused and mixed up had to fix his luck, style old like wild mold,growth Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
Mario William vitale Black Poetry : Ultimate Free Style Extreme Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Lunar Cycle Black Entertainment : Smith Family Bashing Time Again: Hollywood Style Black Entertainment 0
Mario William vitale Black Entertainment : Grand Master Flash Fresh Style Black Entertainment 0
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Poetry : Circular Music Temple (Tornado Style) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People : deregulate-african-style-braiding Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Kellyanne Conway Draws Laughs and Memes With Military-Style Garb Black Entertainment 1
Liberty Black Entertainment : Martin Sheen Is Shopping a 'Making a Murderer'-Style Series That Will Exonerate O.J. Simpson Black Entertainment 13
Liberty Black Entertainment : A Fresh Pair of Images from Sundance-Bound Barack & Michelle in 'Before Sunset'-Style Romance, 'Sout Black Entertainment 0
Clyde C Coger Jr South Africa : South African black doll breaks the mould in high style South Africa 5
RAPTOR Black People : Detroit-Style Black Removal Coming to New Jersey Black People Open Forum 0
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Relationships : Female Best Friends in United Kingdom Soul Style Black Relationships 0
R Black Poetry : My style is corrupt and rhymes pile up so I have wild Luck trying to separate verbs that devastate n Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
ProphetikGeneral Black Relationships : The Complex Style of Relationships-Tips for a Brotha Black Relationships 1
KaHotep Black Poetry : Sine Stories: EEG style Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Destee Black People : Swedish bus driver forced black people to travel on separate coach in apartheid-style incidents Black People Open Forum 11
Omowale Jabali Omowale Jabali : B-Style Omowale Jabali 3
MsInterpret Black People : What is your learning style? Black People Open Forum 12
$$RICH$$ Black People : Join the fight and sign the Petition of my fellow brother Bailey gunned down execution style by poli Black People Open Forum 21
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Crime Fighting Tintswalo Style Black People Open Forum 2
info-moetry Audio Video Web Conferencing : Grandmaster Flash - Wild Style Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Ankhur Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv: Poor Righteous Teacher, Conscious Style Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Indigo Blues Health and Wellness : Eating Healthy Raw Vegan Style - Black Raw Vegan Chefs Black Health and Wellness 8
Ankhur Black People : Black Solidarity Day/ Arab style??? Black People Open Forum 3
Ankhur Black People : Will EU Style Austerity plans Come Here? Black People Open Forum 6
RAPTOR Black People : Why Western-style democracy is not suitable for Africa Black People Open Forum 7
Amnat77 Nigeria : jollof rice (nigerian style) Nigeria 0
S Bread Pasta Recipe : Stefi's Svizzera style mac & cheese Food Discussion and Recipes 0
cherryblossom Black People : 4th of July: New York Style Black People Open Forum 2
S Black Entertainment : Wild Style.. Grand Master Flash Black Entertainment 0
Ankhur Black People : More neocon style propaganda; for war in Yemen??? Black People Open Forum 3
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : LADIES ONLY ! (Extreme style) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 11
1poetsought Black Poetry : Elements of Style Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : SEVEN (7) PRINCIPLES (Kwansaba style) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : LIFT ME UP ! ( Kwansaba style poeticly) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
howardtsu Quiet Poetry Lounge : S.O.S (substance or style) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
P Black Poetry : Soul Food -(West Indian Style) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
R Quiet Poetry Lounge : My style is corrupt as the money pile up like saving bonds Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : Got a critical style like a political exile so it marinated Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
Zulile OldSoul : Santa Claus - Dutch style ;) OldSoul 13
D Africa : African-style dental care All Things Africa 0