Brother AACOOLDRE : Martin Luther King's Gay friend

I can see why you would say that. I think it just comes down to MLK's legacy is set. His affect is omnipresent. Some things just don't need a fine tooth comb put to it to prove points, points that are not really here or there in the overall scheme of things.

I thought that was the brotherjaymes initial point.

I found your choice of words interesting.

The post referenced doesn't say why having a gay person in your circle is something that is disrespectful to Martin Luther King, Jr. I guess it's disrespectful for Coretta Scott King to point such things out and to support the rights of homosexuals as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coretta_Scott_King#LGBT_equality

This isn't J. Edgar Hoover accusing him of being everything from a communist to a homosexual. This is wife, and she's discussed private conversations between herself and MLK (since MLK actually never made no public statements about things).

Imagine the context of the time period this all happened in. MLK was willing to work with an openly gay man, despite being accused of being a homosexual, being a Reverend, and living in a time where homosexuality was demonized to the point of absurdity.

If this is someone trying to take a shot at MLK or make me think any less of him, it's a miserable failure.

Personally, I think the problem here is a lack of history.

The post referenced doesn't say why having a gay person in your circle is something that is disrespectful to Martin Luther King, Jr. I guess it's disrespectful for Coretta Scott King to point such things out and to support the rights of homosexuals as well:
I get what you're saying. But this is deeper than "gay".

Personally, I think the problem here is a lack of history.
If you find this is a "lack" of history that's fine.

You cats kill me with these re-assasinations of MLK.. The Klan already killed his body, now you folks want to kill
His character.. What for? King worked tirelessly for improving the conditions of black folks.. Why isn't that enough
To earn a bit of respect from black folks?
Because King was in the right pew, wrong church, that's why!!! The conditions of lower class blacks didn't improve!

I get what you're saying. But this is deeper than "gay".

If you find this is a "lack" of history that's fine.
I'd say a lack of morality! Smile Rustin embarrassed King because people judge you by the company you keep! Rustin got caught having sex with his white homosexual lover, in a parked car in public!

It seems relevant to me since we're talking about Rustin and the 1960s. It seems he was pretty open about his sexuality (considering the time), and still managed to influence a lot of people. It's also one of the reasons Rustin was probably largely elbowed out of recognition for a lot of his contributions.

It also reflects well on MLK's integrity. He had a message about the rights of everyone and meant it, especially when it came to his inner circle of colleagues and friends.
Yeah but, 'the truth is what you believe while the facts are facts, regardless of what you believe'! One of the components of integrity is morality. The other two are sincerity and honesty. Homosexuality is considered immoral in Afrikan culture!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back