Brother AACOOLDRE : Martin Luther King's Gay friend

Discussion in 'AACOOLDRE' started by AACOOLDRE, Oct 16, 2011.

1. AACOOLDRE

AACOOLDRE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +400
    MARTIN LUTHER KING’S GAY FRIEND
    By Andre Austin

From the beginning of the Civil Rights Movement in 1954 to the assassination of King in 1968 Bayard Rustin assisted MLK Civil Rights Agenda. “He became very close to us” Mrs. King said

Mrs. King stated in her book. “Bayard were indispensable to martin and the movement in the early days. Bayard was enormously helpful in sharing his thinking on nonviolence with us he had been to India, he studied Gandhi…” (My life with MLK p.127)

The night before King was shot down in Memphis trying to fight for equality for garbage workers. While King was at the Loraine motel Rustin was putting in calls for him. “ Bayard Rustin was arranging to bring a lot of people into Memphis from other cities, but Mayor Loeb had obtained a federal injunction against non residents marching or demonstrating in Memphis”(My life with MLK p.290).

Rustin was a Superbad organizer . He was capable of putting together a coalition almost over night. Rustin was a key figure that organized the march on Washington in 1963 that led to the landmark 1964 Civil Rights Act. He was a class valedictorian. Rustin believed in working with the white power structure for mutual gain.

Rustin helped create CORE “He became King’s adviser, helping him write speeches” (Let the Trumpet Sound By Stephen B. Oates p91). I do not know if Rustin helped King with his I have a Dream speech, probably not. When king won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964 he personally requested that Rustin go with him his wife and delegation to Norway. It was a good thing that MLK took Rustin with him because he ended up saving his peace prize trophy from being tarnished. King’s delegation at the hotel rooms in Norway had white prostitutes running amuck up there. They were going buck wild. The police were called and Rustin was able to convince the police not to arrest anybody. Thank god he had Rustin at his side watching his back.

Rustin was born in 1910 and died in 1987.

2. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    You cats kill me with these re-assasinations of MLK.. The Klan already killed his body, now you folks want to kill
    His character.. What for? King worked tirelessly for improving the conditions of black folks.. Why isn't that enough
    To earn a bit of respect from black folks?

3. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    A post about a gay man who shared the same aspirations as MLK is a re-assassination of MLK?

4. Proverbs31Woman

Proverbs31Woman Be kinder than necessary! MEMBER

Ratings:
    +877
    I admit, I was curious why the sexual orientation of Rustin was highlighed in the title. And the ending is quite telling of some underlying intent...this didn't leave a good taste in my mouth.

5. Gorilla

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    It seems relevant to me since we're talking about Rustin and the 1960s. It seems he was pretty open about his sexuality (considering the time), and still managed to influence a lot of people. It's also one of the reasons Rustin was probably largely elbowed out of recognition for a lot of his contributions.

It also reflects well on MLK's integrity. He had a message about the rights of everyone and meant it, especially when it came to his inner circle of colleagues and friends.

6. Proverbs31Woman

Ratings:
    +877
    (((MARTIN LUTHER KING’S GAY FRIEND
    By Andre Austin

It was a good thing that MLK took Rustin with him because he ended up saving his peace prize trophy from being tarnished. King’s delegation at the hotel rooms in Norway had white prostitutes running amuck up there. They were going buck wild. The police were called and Rustin was able to convince the police not to arrest anybody. Thank god he had Rustin at his side watching his back.)))

I can understand highlighting Rustin's work, however, the bolded print above is questionable and attempts to do something else.

7. Gorilla

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    Can you be more specific? It just seems like a somewhat awkward place for an anecdote about what sounds like one heck of a celebration.

8. Proverbs31Woman

Ratings:
    +877
    Ok, so for you, the bolded is appropriate along with the timing of this post; alright. Just sharing my take on it.

9. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    Proverbs31woman,

You can't get water from a rock. And it's a waste of time trying to disprove a lie to the liar himself. You know what this is, I know what this is.. And so does this user named Gorilla.. On a black site.. That always says exactly what a racist white person would say.. And even has the name a racist white person would choose on a black site.

10. Seksen

Seksen Well-Known Member MEMBER

Retired....finally
    Ratings:
    +135
    I find it interesting that so many of us would like to do as whites so often do and that is re-write historical facts and change these hard facts in order to pass a lying deceptive twisted agenda. I was a young man during this time and it was not hidden or unknown that Rustin was homosexual. There were other people in the movement who were homosexuals also. Some of the names would surprise some of you today I am sure. But, that is neither here or there. King was not an organizer no mater how hard we would like to make him out to be one,he still was not. He was a passionate ,small time, young preacher, who was drafted to be the face on a great movement. Most people who are strategist know that you need to have the most loyal, intelligent, productive, foresighted, visionary people, who have connections that you can find to join you in your inner circle if you plain to have success. There was none better or more qualified that could get the job done than Bayard Rustin, and his record proved it. I am an avid student of history and have always been interested in searching for the details on most subjects that are beyond the headlines or books and topics that are pushed to the front of the shelf for those who are to lazy to dig through the muck in order to reach the golden kernel that is not easy to see or find. I learned many years ago that the truth is often more feared and shunned than the glossy easy to swallow lie. So what if he was gay. Did his sexuality take away from his contributions and desire to help his people rise above the racism, degradation, lynchings, and murders that was so common at that time? Facts are facts and whether we like them or not does not change them one bit. I only wish that we had more men or women who loved their people as much as he did and are and were willing to fight for them as hard as he has done. I thank the Creators' for people like Bayard Rustin and I also pray that we get more young people like him, and very soon. Peace of Ra