Black People Politics : Martin Luther King Jr. Republican Billboard Courts Controversy in Texas As Election Looms

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by MsInterpret, Oct 30, 2012.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,448
    Martin Luther King Jr. Republican Billboard Courts Controversy in Texas As Election Looms

[​IMG]
    The Huffington Post | By Meredith Bennett-SmithPosted: 10/29/2012 1:06 pm EDT Updated: 10/29/2012 1:17 pm EDT

Hovering above Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue in Dallas, a provocative billboard makes a controversial claim in black and red block letters: “Martin Luther King Jr. was a Republican. VOTE REPUBLICAN!”
    It's a claim, and a voter registration tactic, that has been used before, despite a decidedly mixed reactions from community members who see it.
    The ads posted this year -- as well as similar billboards posted in Austin and in Houston back in 2009 -- are the brainchild of Claver Kamau-Imani, a Houston, Texas, church leader and the founder of RagingElephants.org, a conservative group that aims to recruit more African Americans for the Republican Party.
    Kamau-Imani said the use of the American Civil Rights leader and Nobel Peace Prize winner is appropriate and accurate.
    “The use of Dr. King, because of him being an icon in the community, we feel would be most effective," Kamau-Imani told CBS DFW. "That’s why we used it. We have the documentation to back the claims we’re making on the billboard.”
    This documentation is hard to pin down, however. In 2009, Kamau-Imani told Fox News that King's niece, the Rev. Alveda King, said her uncle was indeed a Republican. But while video of Alveda King's claim is available on YouTube, Kamau-Imani acknowledged there's no documentation to back her up.

READ MORE: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/29/martin-luther-king-jr-republican-billboard-texas_n_2039332.html?utm_hp_ref=black-voices

2. Black-king

Black-king Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +720
    These are the people that Mr King dreamed about us getting together with, the lying prophet is being mocked with his dream.

3. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    Anyone that suddenly becomes a republican because of that billboard is not really worth holding onto anyway.

4. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,448
    People are easily swayed now of days

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081

Those are strong words Black-king, what backs up your assertion?

Peace In,

6. thePreacher

thePreacher Banned MEMBER

Agent Of Change
    Ratings:
    +815
    I am not aware of any records, anywhere, of Dr. King, himself, saying he was a Republican.

But, it would be inaccurate for Democrats to assume he was one of them. What records we do have make it clear he was strongly opposed to the war mongering policies of the presidents of his last seven years, who were both Democrats [Johnson and Kennedy]. I am one of those who believe it was his opposition to the war mongering of Democratic POTUS Johnson which led to the documented complicity of the executive branch [federal and state] in his assassination.

Black Democrats, like Tom Joyner and Steve Harvey, now do a lot of fear-mongering about how much worse off we poor black folks would be with a Republican in the White House:

[​IMG]

They, apparently, have forgotten that it was a Democrat [Bobby Kennedy] who signed off on what should have been illegal wire-taps of Dr. King. They have also, apparently, forgotten that Ms. J Edgar Hoover was able to conduct his COINTEL misdeeds for a decade and a half regardless of whether the POTUS happened to be a Democrat or a Republican.

The Democratic party is just as anti-Black as the Republican party.

7. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,448
    To me Demos and Repubs are one in the same.

8. Black-king

Black-king Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +720
    Good question bro, Which oppressed people did you ever hear wanted to join hands with their oppressors? They usually want freedom and independence from their oppressors. The Bible says in proverbs 3:31 to not envy our oppressors and to choose none of their ways. You can't do that when you are advocating to join hands with them and walk in their ways.
    “I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.”Martin Luther King Jr. You will never hear a so called Jewish person make such a statement, as a matter of fact Jewish people are still hunting Nazis to this day trying to bring them to justice. Brotherhood with the very people who destroyed your people is blasphemy.
    Jeremiah 23:25 I have heard what the prophets said, that prophesy lies in my name, saying, I have dreamed, I have dreamed.
    Jeremiah 23:26 How long shall this be in the heart of the prophets that prophesy lies? yea, they are prophets of the deceit of their own heart;
    This is Martin Luther king, he did what he shouldn't never have done, this is why we are still marching whenever the White people shoot your sons and daughters on the streets and don't give a **** about it. This is partly the reason of the degradation of the Black family, mixing and following their oppressors, the scientist call itthe Stockholm syndrome.
    Jeremiah 23:31 Behold, I am against the prophets, saith the LORD, that use their tongues, and say, He saith.
    Jeremiah 23:32 Behold, I am against them that prophesy false dreams, saith the LORD, and do tell them, and cause my people to err by their lies, and by their lightness; yet I sent them not, nor commanded them: therefore they shall not profit this people at all, saith the LORD.
    We are worse as a people because of civil rights, when you compare Black people in this country before and after the civil rights its like night and day. Completely lost our pride as a people, and totally dependent on the oppressor for anything you need. Martin Luther king knew it, to this is why he said this.
    “I fear, I am integrating my people into a burning house.” Martin Luther kingJr.

This is what God says We are not supposed to integrate with no other nation.
    Leviticus 20:26 And ye shall be holy unto me: for I the LORD am holy, and have severed you from other people, that ye should be mine.

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... Scriptural, you make a darn good case; its just that they all come from the Old Testament, nothing wrong with that testament, I love it. But what about some New Testament scriptures in support of your basis of fact.

Peace In,

10. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    That's because you come from an environment that recognizes game wherever present. Before Obama was president, Dems where opposed to drones.. and corporate bailouts.. but now Dems are for drones and for corporate bailouts.. and the shift was made so smoothly that very few people cried foul. It's a game. And the people behind the scenes that control the game can shift sides whenever they want.. and the people that have been conditioned to view everything as a sport.. just follow along.. being "supportive".. and "progressive".. or, as I call it, "Willfully Blind".

Fact is a Lobbyist that can buy influence on one side of the aisle can buy influence on the otherside of the aisle as well. And if they're really smart, they just buy influence on both sides at the same time.. then they can never lose.. just win more.. or win less.

We been bullsh##ed so much that we can recognize the stench with the lid still on... It's all a matter of choice.