Black People : MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. DAY - 2006

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by KWABENA, Jan 10, 2006.

1. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Jambo and Good Morning Family:

I just felt I would start this morning out by asking What you all were doing on Dr. Martin Luther King's Birthday? Any plans? Any involvement? Tell me and the family.

CD

2. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    I'm gonna honor this beautiful brave Black man's legacy and try to treat my brothers and sisters with the utmost respect....even if just on that day atleast.

3. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Peace CD,

long time no speak.....................

What will you be doing?

what do you know about our beautiful brother, outside of His-story books?

I will be fasting as always on this day too honor this brave hero, even though I do not agree with his approach.....As the late great John Henrik Clarke says in "A Great and Mighty Walk"...about Martin King........

"He was willing too give his life for what he believed and we are still here Talking".....

peace!

4. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    they played one of his lesser known speeches today on the radio. I was inspired just by the tone of his voice. probably the greatest speaker ever to speak. I wish they wouldnt play the i have a dream speech year after year, his other speeches were awsome.

R.I.P.

MLK

5. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Most def......

He certainly wasn't the "punk" so many people try to paint him as.

Too often the media only plays clips of his speeches, sound-bites, and that "I have a Dream" speech over again.

They select what they want us to hear of him.

But a few years back I was fortunate to get my hands on one of his speeches against the Vietnam War.

That man was powerful.:eek:hmy:

He boldly threatened and warned the destruction of America on several occasions.
    Called the leaders and politicians in office CRIMINALS, and accused them of murderers.

Even tried to organize the poor and spark a social/economic revolution.

I don't see anyone trying to fill those shoes today.

Sons of Seth

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    str8 up no work ........but relax and enjoy the power of this brutha
    listen to his words i have a few of his many speeches and most of
    all remember in honor, this worrior, a father, the Man, our brutha Dr. King

7. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Jambo info-moetry:

I have a few places where I can go; right now, I don't know whether I want to participate in the Downtown Celebration, spend time with other brothers, my spiritual family, and fellowship, or spend time with the church family to remember and honor his commitment(s).

In Henry Louis Gates' America Behind the Color Line, Rev. Lawton Higgs, a white pastor in Birmingham, Alabama, said that after reading the "Letter From the Birmingham Jail," he cried for three days, and since then has advocated desegregation. I said that to say the 'Letter From the Birmingham Jail' is one of the most influential works ever written. Perhaps, I will include that in whatever I do in a few days. I should be certain by Friday what I will do.

Replaying the 'I Have a Dream' speech has something to do with FEELING good without BEING good. I guess people don't feel as guilty when listening to the 'I Have a Dream' speech as they do some of his other speeches.

CD

8. QUEEN ABENA

QUEEN ABENA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Greetings Family :angel1:
    Here is an event being held in Brooklyn, NY that My family and I will be attending and is open for all that would like to attend.

You are cordially invited to
    A CELEBRATION
    of the Life and Times of the REV. DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.

on
    MONDAY, JANUARY 16, 2006
    Doors open at 12 NOON

featuring a keynote address by
    writer and activist KEVIN POWELL
    entitled “Dr. King, Civil Rights, and the Hiphop Generation”

NOTE...This speech will be webstreamed at www.vibe.com beginning on Wednesday, January 18th

JACQUE REID, Mistress of Ceremonies

A special performance by vocalist SHANNONE HOLT
    Musical Director DJ REBORN on the ones and twos

at
    HANSON PLACE CENTRAL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
    15 Hanson Place, between Ashland and St. Felix
    downtown BROOKLYN, NEW YORK

Take the B, D, M, N, Q, R, 2, 3, 4, 5, or LIRR to Atlantic Station

Admission is FREE and NO rsvp needed
    Seating is on a first come first serve basis
    ALL ARE WELCOME regardless of race, gender,
    age, sexual orientation, religion, or class background

FYI, community based organizations will be tabling throughout the afternoon

PARTIAL LIST of sponsors. Others pending.

Blue Ridge Foundation New York
    Big Brothers Big Sisters
    True York Entertainment
    Power 105.1 radio
    Vibe.com
    KatrinaOnTheGround

ALL MEDIA INQUIRIES…APRIL SILVER, Akila Worksongs, at 718-756-8501 or via email at [email protected]

ABOUT KEVIN POWELL

Kevin Powell is widely considered one of America’s most important voices in these early years of the 21st century. Legendary feminist Gloria Steinem proclaims that "as a charismatic speaker, leader, and a very good writer, Kevin Powell has the courage...to be fully human, and this will bring the deepest revolution of all." Famed scholar and social critic Dr. Michael Eric Dyson has called Powell "a mighty wind of fresh air."

Kevin Powell is an activist, poet, journalist, essayist, editor, hiphop historian, public speaker, political consultant and fundraiser, and businessman. A product of extreme poverty, welfare, fatherlessness, and a single mother-led household, he is a native of Jersey City, New Jersey and was educated at New Jersey’s Rutgers University. Kevin Powell is a longtime resident of Brooklyn, New York, and it is from his base in New York City that Powell has published six books, including his current title, Who’s Gonna Take The Weight? Manhood, Race, and Power in America, which is an Essence magazine bestseller. His next project, Looking for America, arrives in Fall 2006 and will feature essays on the 2004 presidential election, September 11th, and Hurricane Katrina and the Gulf Coast tragedy. Powell is also at work on his childhood memoir, homeboy alone, slated for 2008. Additionally, Powell is compiling his second volume of poetry, My Own Private Ghetto, and The Kevin Powell Reader, which will highlight the first twenty years of his literary career. Indeed, he has written numerous essays, articles, and reviews over the past two decades for publications such as Newsweek, The Washington Post, Essence, Code, Rolling Stone, The Amsterdam News, and Vibe, where he was a founding staff member and served as a senior writer. It was at Vibe that Powell profiled a number of icons including Colin Powell, Spike Lee, and the late Tupac Shakur.

A gifted and highly sought after public speaker, Powell has lectured on multiculturalism, American and Black American history, the life of Dr. King, civil rights, American politics, sexism from a male perspective, leadership, social activism, and the state of hiphop, among other topics, at hundreds of colleges and universities, community centers, religious institutions, conferences, and festivals, as well as in corporate settings. Furthermore, Kevin Powell routinely offers his insights on a variety of matters, to TV, radio, newspaper, magazine, and internet outlets in America, and abroad. Powell is presently producing a series of townhall meetings across America called the State of Black Men Tour, which will visit approximately 25 cities through the end of 2006, and culminate with Black Men in America…A National Conversation, in June 2007, in New York City. And his future political plans include either a run for office in his adopted hometown of Brooklyn, New York, or the launching of a new organization.

A fixture on the pop culture landscape the past fifteen years, Powell was a cast member on the first season of MTV’s “The Real World”; hosted and produced programming for HBO and BET; written a screenplay; hosted and wrote an award-winning MTV documentary about post-riot Los Angeles; and was the Guest Curator of the Brooklyn Museum of Art’s “Hip-Hop Nation: Roots, Rhymes, and Rage”—which originated at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland, Ohio, and of which Powell was the exhibition consultant—the first major exhibit in America on the history of hiphop. Powell is now the founder, CEO, and president of True York Entertainment, LLC, a new multimedia company with interests in marketing, film, television, and music, including representation of the talented young singer Shannone Holt.

Of paramount importance to Kevin Powell, however, is his activism. He has been a leader in some form or fashion for the past twenty years, dating back to his days at Rutgers University. He was a participant in the student-led anti-apartheid movement, the drive to end racism in South Africa; he has been at the forefront of police brutality and racial bias cases; he has worked for years around voting rights; Powell has organized a number of concerts, mc battles, rallies, and forums that stress the use of hiphop as a tool for social change; he has become a very outspoken critic of violence against women and girls; Powell has taught, mentored, and counseled in schools, camps, prisons, and on the streets of urban America; he produces an annual holiday party every December in New York City that benefits the needy; and Powell has been a central figure in Gulf Coast disaster relief efforts, facilitating the delivery of goods and services to the affected regions, and being in on long-term rebuilding plans for the region, particularly as it concerns poor people.

Of his life work Kevin Powell says, simply, "My life-calling is to be a servant for the people, period. Money, fame, status, personal achievements, and all that means very little to me when pain and* suffering are still real on this planet. I am interested in the powerless becoming powerful

9. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    That sounds interesting........only if I had a way back up to New York.

CD

10. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    One of my sister's birthdays happens to fall on this holiday sometimes. This year it is a day after, though.