Black Education / Schools : 'Marrying Down' Costs Educated Women $25K a Year

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by Black Phoenix, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Black Phoenix

Black Phoenix Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +147
    'Marrying Down' Costs Educated Women $25K a Year
    A new theory posits that a less educated husband can spell financial ruin for educated women, especially Black women.
    BY J. WESTON PHIPPEN
    [​IMG]

(Shutterstock)

June 22, 2015 It's widely known that low educational attainment, neighborhood racial segregation, and a biased criminal-justice system are detrimental to Black Americans' ability to climb the economic ladder. But Richard Reeves, a policy director at the Center on Children and Families at Brookings, has found that marriage also plays a part.

Marriage across racial lines has shot up in the past few decades, and a Pew Research Center study found that in 2010 about 15 percent of all new marriages in the United States were between couples of different ethnicities, more than double the rate in 1980.

Read more: http://www.nationaljournal.com/next-america/education/marrying-down-cost-educated-women-20150622

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    :11100:divide and conquer......

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    If this is accurate.... I blame the practice of telling Black women that our standards are too high. When I was single, I refused to date men with children or men who weren't raised in a 2 parent household. SOOOOOOO many people told me that my standards were too high and I should settle. I never have... And I've never been without a man unless I choose to be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love It Love It x 1
    • List
  4. Black Phoenix

United States
    Ratings:
    +147
    No, it's awake and demand better, especially when black males who marry out claim they can't find educated, ambitious Black women. It's also a rebuttal to all the a## clowns who want to claim Black women aren't supportive of Black men when we'd had their backs since the dawn of time ....yet they so easily throw us under buses or stay silent at insults hurled at us. No, I'm not saying Black women should abandon ship, we're not prideless lapdogs easily controlled by white people, I am stating that Black women should DEMAND BETTER from our weaker links.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    :11100:ah, the gender war subdivision of divide and conquer.......

6. Black Phoenix

United States
    Ratings:
    +147
    When you demand better, you get better. We need to be more supportive of other Black women and start employing tough love on our men to help them to step up; we've coddled them so long much to our own detriment and their apathy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    :bs:

8. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    WORD!

You know what irks me about Black men who date outside their race? If you wanna date non Black women just do it. We don't' really care like that. But I detest Black men who feel they need to give a reason. Their reasons are ALWAYS negative and insulting to Black women. If you have nothing nice to say... say nothing

9. Black Phoenix

United States
    Ratings:
    +147
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Enjoyed Enjoyed x 1
    • List
  10. Black Phoenix

United States
    Ratings:
    +147
    What's funny is they really don't understand that by bashing their own women, men of other races hold them in even more contempt. Men of other races almost never bash their women publicly, only black males do while putting the women of others on pedestals. Why do they think that men who shout their love and appreciation of the women that raised them wouldn't think they're scum when they're disrespecting their mothers, sisters and female relatives?

Do they not understand that how they treat us has a direct correlation with how we and they are treated by others?

Do they not understand that their disrespect give rise to the abuse Black women are met with from non Black males who know we have no champions?\

Do they not understand the increasing violence and discrimination is affected by how we treat ourselves? Black people need to start ONE LOVING ourselves and stop trying to integrate since we seem to have gotten back to race relations prior to the Black Power movements whose leaders seem bent on getting white women.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • True True x 1
    • List