Black People : Marriage Rates Declining For Blacks, Less Educated: Study

So, the people who do studies to try to paint a picture of things based on observation are brain-washing now? Really?

It's been known that levels of education play a role in marriage prospects and rates for a while now.

It's also been known that people without education also have had long, lasting marriages. Ive personally observed this in my family and several neighborhoods I've been in my life. My grandmother and grandfather have been together for over 40 years and all he had was a 4th grade education. Explain that one if those doing the studies are so accurate.

It's also been known that people without education also have had long, lasting marriages. Ive personally observed this in my family and several neighborhoods I've been in my life. My grandmother and grandfather have been together for over 40 years and all he had was a 4th grade education. Explain that one if those doing the studies are so accurate.

That's an interesting anecdotal counterpoint, but the study is saying that marriage rates are declining for young people who may be postponing marriage to pursue educational goals. It's also pointing out that some people with lower educational levels are doing the same (for not necessarily the same reasons), but may end up never getting married. This translates into probabilities, not absolute hardline rules that say there are no outliers in the sample they looked at. I'm sure the U.S Census has even more people with lower education levels than you've peronsally observed, but probably still found a statistically significant trend.

I would also recommend reading and listening to the NPR material that's linked as it is a bit better. It also points out that there are people who are in relationships that are living together, but they're not getting married. Statistically, they count as being single.

Another question, what groups here do have high marriage rates, and what causes that?

Marriage was and still is a part of traditional African culture, that for us as Africans was interupted by slavery and some how during the 70s and 80s things statreted to fall apart,
therefore maybe culture is a factor.

So we are just supposed to forget about public school dropout rates, high unemployment, higher rates of imprisonment out of proportion to the laws that were broken, substance abuse, i. e., all of the things folks on these forums have been bringing up, and probably before I even posted on them? C'mon, Kem: You can do beer than that! Also others who might have empathy and sympathy say (and do) nothing, lest they be branded racists...Us daring to here risk being called 'disloyal'? Coming up with workable solutions is called for...Not expecting me or one individual to...It has always taken a collective effort to do anything for us and our relations...FYI

sigh

The break down of the family unit has a great deal more to do with all those maladies today. Today, that is more a self inflicted injury. It's not a "them" issue

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back