Black Relationships : Marriage: Parental Consent?

Women: If your parent's did not approve of your marriage to man you loved and wanted to marry, would you still get married to him? Why or why not?

Men: Would you first ask a woman's parents for permission to marry the woman you love? Or would you ask her to marry you without their consent? Why or why not?

Since I was in something similar to this already, I can say I didn't go through with it because they said "No.". Why did I listen? Because I was 19 years old and fearful of the consequences of running off and getting married so soon!

I believe to take mom and dad's advice is well, even if it seems they are being hypocritical or just mean, because being younger there are certain experiences you just don't know. And it's best to show no disrespect to those who raised you and can sometimes know you better than yourself; that is, they may know how you'll react in a situation that you might not even be thinking on being a possibility.

That's what they did for me, but they were a bit saddened because I was saddened, which made me feel worse! But I was thankful for being brought to thinking clearly.

Since I was in something similar to this already, I can say I didn't go through with it because they said "No.". Why did I listen? Because I was 19 years old and fearful of the consequences of running off and getting married so soon!

I believe to take mom and dad's advice is well, even if it seems they are being hypocritical or just mean, because being younger there are certain experiences you just don't know. And it's best to show no disrespect to those who raised you and can sometimes know you better than yourself; that is, they may know how you'll react in a situation that you might not even be thinking on being a possibility.

That's what they did for me, but they were a bit saddened because I was saddened, which made me feel worse! But I was thankful for being brought to thinking clearly.

Then why did you say yes to the guy that asked??

Women: If your parent's did not approve of your marriage to man you loved and wanted to marry, would you still get married to him? Why or why not?

Men: Would you first ask a woman's parents for permission to marry the woman you love? Or would you ask her to marry you without their consent? Why or why not?

I have no problem with the tradition way. I kinda did that. But I also have no issue with eloping

I don't have a problem with the guy asking my parents for my hand in marriage...but I put no pressure on him to do so, as my parents have made it quite clear that it was ultimately my decision, especially since I'm older and capable of making my own choices.

I do however, take in consideration of my parent's judgement towards whom I am dating.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back