Law Forum : Marriage in 1930s Georgia

@Cherryblossom

Well, sleep needed here as its way past midnight - but I'm going to have to get back onto this in the morning...

I know there must have been some places where they could have got away with this just because I'm here, plus I've chatted with several other American quadroon girls same age as me on mixed forums - so we sorta prove they must have got away with living together somewhere even if they weren't married :10500:

Eh, maybe/maybe not "living together."

So, was your father raised in the same home with his Black father?

@Cherryblossom
From what I know my father was raised by my grandfather in Georgia after my grandmother died of pneumonia when my father was still really small like 3 or 4 years old. Like I say I don't really know that much about my grandmother really, just bare details like her name, that she came from Louisiana and that she died of pneumonia when my father was a little boy - the only other thing I've got to go on is a few photos of her. Like I said earlier when I started researching the family history on my American side I just went down the main black line from my grandfather to great-grandfather and so on - so there's still a lot of unknowns along all the other branches.

@Cherryblossom
From what I know my father was raised by my grandfather in Georgia after my grandmother died of pneumonia when my father was still really small like 3 or 4 years old. Like I say I don't really know that much about my grandmother really, just bare details like her name, that she came from Louisiana and that she died of pneumonia when my father was a little boy - the only other thing I've got to go on is a few photos of her. Like I said earlier when I started researching the family history on my American side I just went down the main black line from my grandfather to great-grandfather and so on - so there's still a lot of unknowns along all the other branches.

Oh, I was only asking in reference to your grandfather and grandmother "living together" even if not married. ---just because YOU are here doesn't prove that your grandparents actually lived together.
(is your father their only child?)

Anywhoo....I'm just "hypothesizing."---But, it could have also been possible that your father was raised by his White mother until she died and if no White relatives would take him in, then he went to his Black father to raise.

I'm just sayn. :10500: But, sometimes that happened too.

And if your Black grandfather continued to live in GA, then it's also possible that your White grandmother left the state with your father....and when she died, he went to his father.

I'm just throwing out possibilities....But, hopefully, your father will be able to answer more of your questions.

@Cherryblossom

Yes my father was their only child.

Yeah, you've certainly raised some other possibilities there that I hadn't even considered, but which would be easily possible and actually more likely.

And yes, your father's mother died when he was very young; but I also wonder if he has any memories of his parents in the same house when he was little......If not, then yes, my previous hypothesis is very likely.

And if your grandmother was from Louisiana, according to the Jim Crow laws there, THIS also explains why none of her White relatives (even if they wanted to) could not adopt your half-Black father.>>>>

Jim Crow in Louisiana

1894: Miscegenation [Statute]
Intermarriage between white persons and persons of color prohibited.
1908: Miscegenation [Statute]
Concubinage between the Caucasian or white race and any person of the Negro or black race is a felony. Penalty: Imprisonment from one month to one year, with or without hard labor.
1910: Miscegenation [Statute]
Restatement of the law passed in 1908, using the words "Persons of the Caucasian and colored races."
1932: Miscegenation [State Code]
Outlawed interracial marriages. Nullified interracial marriages if parties went to another jurisdiction where such marriages were legal. Also prohibited Negroes and Indians to marry each other.

1951: Adoption [Statute]
Forbid interracial adoptions

1951: Miscegenation [Statute]
Cohabitation between whites and blacks illegal. Penalty: Up to $1,000, or up to five years imprisonment, or both.

1952: Miscegenation [State Code]
Prohibited marriage between whites and persons of color. Penalty: Up to $1,000 and/or five years imprisonment.

1958: Health Care [Statute]
All human blood to be used in the state of Louisiana for transfusions to be labeled with the word "Caucasian," "Negroid," or "Mongoloid" so as to clearly indicate the race of the donor. If the blood was not labeled it was not permitted to be used.

Read more: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?...endId=13244657&blogId=261961925#ixzz12Lf93zF6

If your White grandmother and Black grandfather could not live together (according to the state laws in the 1950s), then, I'm really not sure where she could have gone to live with a half-Black child (in the 1950s) until she died. :10500:

Only your father or perhaps some of your Black cousins in the U.S. may be able to answer some of your questions about it. Your Black relatives here may know whatever was "passed down" to them about your father and your grandfather.

Plus, you say your father is now 52 y/o....So, he was born in 1958 and when he was 3 or 4 y/o....that would be about 1961 or 1962 when his mother died.

So, the only option was for him to go to his Black father.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back