Black Relationships : Marriage for the Mixed-Race (NOT Mixed-Race Marriage)

StefiA

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jul 24, 2010
OK as stated I don't want to get caught up in the whole field of mixed-race marriages as in black people and white people marrying...
What this thread is enquiring about is the topic of mixed-race people marrying...
There are a lot of us out here who are already the end result of mixed marriages...
And the question arises as one starts to think of settling down as to who should be your life partner...
Now...
Is the majority opinion that marriage between someone who is mixed and someone who is black is basically the same as a mixed marriage and therefore to be avoided?
Is marriage between a mixed person and someone who is white basically the same as a mixed marriage and therefore to be avoided?
Should mixed-race people only marry other mixed-race people?
How would marriage between someone who is mixed and someone who is say Asian or Indian be considered?
Now at the end of the day the choice is obviously going to be in the hands of the person themselves - all I'm trying to do in this thread is gauge opinion as to how black folk see this situation. I have already come across some whose attitude is that mixed folk should regard themselves as black full stop and marry only other black folk and I have come across some who believe it would be wrong for a black person to marry someone mixed as this would weaken the race.
Now it may well be that some people also believe that we need to take skin color into consideration as mixed folk range in shade from pretty much dark black all the way through to snow white and their amount of mix is different from possibly 31/32nds black all the way to 1/32nd black and so on.
Now as someone who IS mixed I obviously have a personal interest in this, but I am interested in the thoughts of people as they relate to mixed folk IN GENERAL.
Now if people in their responses can avoid any negative comments re mixed folk that are unrelated to this actual question that would be most appreciated (sorry to have to put that bit in, but...).

OK as stated I don't want to get caught up in the whole field of mixed-race marriages as in black people and white people marrying...
What this thread is enquiring about is the topic of mixed-race people marrying...
There are a lot of us out here who are already the end result of mixed marriages...
And the question arises as one starts to think of settling down as to who should be your life partner...
Now...
Is the majority opinion that marriage between someone who is mixed and someone who is black is basically the same as a mixed marriage and therefore to be avoided?
Is marriage between a mixed person and someone who is white basically the same as a mixed marriage and therefore to be avoided?
Should mixed-race people only marry other mixed-race people?
How would marriage between someone who is mixed and someone who is say Asian or Indian be considered?
Now at the end of the day the choice is obviously going to be in the hands of the person themselves - all I'm trying to do in this thread is gauge opinion as to how black folk see this situation. I have already come across some whose attitude is that mixed folk should regard themselves as black full stop and marry only other black folk and I have come across some who believe it would be wrong for a black person to marry someone mixed as this would weaken the race.
Now it may well be that some people also believe that we need to take skin color into consideration as mixed folk range in shade from pretty much dark black all the way through to snow white and their amount of mix is different from possibly 31/32nds black all the way to 1/32nd black and so on.
Now as someone who IS mixed I obviously have a personal interest in this, but I am interested in the thoughts of people as they relate to mixed folk IN GENERAL.
Now if people in their responses can avoid any negative comments re mixed folk that are unrelated to this actual question that would be most appreciated (sorry to have to put that bit in, but...).

I don't consider a person with one black parent and another parent of different race 'black'... sorry but that is a racist way to view the world; as African i think its is an insult to think the white race or any other race is so pure that one drop of black blood 'taints' the whole gene structure, and automatically making a mixed race person 'black', this is precisely what the so called 'one drop rule implies. Black people need to let mulattoes be part of the white race, or go where ever and STOP trying to claim them as if they represent the best of us- they do not. Heck if it wasn't for the racist one drop rule and Jim crow, mulattoes in America would have mimicked their cohorts in Caribbean and the rest of world by creating a separate category for themselves, and help oppress blacks even further.... this was already happening in New Orleans but Jim crow but put a stop it.

oh and as far I'm concerned you are white, and no offense but i think you trying too hard:10500:

That depends entirely upon WHO you are trying to please concerning YOUR life decisions.

Personally, I can't imagine why anyone would be concerned about what the general population thinks about their personal life choices. Are you really interested in enslaving yourself to the opinion of others?

I'd be willing to bet if we go back and review history more closely, we'd find out this was happening further back than those brown bag, blue vein, and comb tests.

I don't consider a person with one black parent and another parent of different race 'black'... sorry but that is a racist way to view the world; as African i think its is an insult to think the white race or any other race is so pure that one drop of black blood 'taints' the whole gene structure, and automatically making a mixed race person 'black', this is precisely what the so called 'one drop rule implies. Black people need to let mulattoes be part of the white race, or go where ever and STOP trying to claim them as if they represent the best of us- they do not. Heck if it wasn't for the racist one drop rule and Jim crow, mulattoes in America would have mimicked their cohorts in Caribbean and the rest of world by creating a separate category for themselves, and help oppress blacks even further.... this was already happening in New Orleans but Jim crow but put a stop it.

oh and as far I'm concerned you are white, and no offense but i think you trying too hard:10500:

@Amnat77
Some interesting points...

"I don't consider a person with one black parent and another parent of different race 'black'... sorry but that is a racist way to view the world"

No need to be sorry, I agree with you there, which is why I wouldn't say I was black - though I have come under pressure from some black folk to say that I am to the extent of almost being made to feel I'm betraying black folk by not doing so.

"oh and as far I'm concerned you are white"

Now remembering I said that I was talking IN GENERAL is that your opinion of mixed race people in general? (I know I'm an extreme / odd case which is why I want to remove myself from the focus of people's replies).

"Black people need to let mulattoes be part of the white race" - of course for 99% of them even if they wanted to do so I can't imagine the white race obligingly welcoming them.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back