Black People : Maroon societies and resistance.

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Corvo, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    Maroon societies and resistance.

In light that we (here) have a lot in common, I do think it odd that our communities are not stronger then they are currently. Considering that we have had one oppressive enemy and that it’s more then clear what their agenda is. It’s puzzling to not see us more united. History has showed that we have united and even prospered under very adverse conditions. When there was very little in common with us except our condition and color of our skin. This is not a blame tread. What I am interested in talking about is, if we would like to create farming communities out side of the cities?

“Maroon communities were small, secret encampments formed by runaway slaves, typically in isolated and defensible sections of wilderness. The phenomenon began as runaway slaves, unable to escape to safe havens in sympathetic colonies, opted instead to band together for survival near the sites of their former enslavement. In the first survey of documentary records of marronage in the colonies and including antebellum South Carolina.
    South Carolina's maroon communities were typically formed in dense swamps where self-contained communities could remain hidden beyond the commercial interests of white society, game could be hunted, lands could be adapted for farming, and plantations could be reached if needed for raiding and trading. Marronage was a persistent problem for planter society in that its success left fully formed runaway-slave camps within striking distance of white communities and interactions between these two worlds were often violent. In addition maroons often maintained ties to enslaved African Americans on their former plantations, creating a web of community that operated outside of white control. surveys of eighteenth- and early-nineteenth-century historical sources gathered from newspaper reports, court proceedings, government and military records, correspondence, and reward advertisements to illustrate the efforts of white South Carolinians to locate maroon communities, defend against raiding parties, and kill or capture runaways living in these societies. documents chronologically, dealing first with the origins of marronage, then with two surges in maroon activity just before and just after the American Revolution. After a lull in marronage at the start of the nineteenth century, a final swell occurred during the 1820s”.

There have been many maroon societies through out the Americas and the Caribbean. I figure that with our current resources we could make communities in areas that have been losing farms for a while now. Granted this would take a consorted effort, but the possibilities are truly great. If I remember correctly there was a group of Rashneeshs who over took a small town and county in Washington and started controlling every aspect of government as well as commerce in the area. If represented right it could be underwritten by wealthy African-Americans, giving them the chance to put money where their mouth is.

I think this would be a great opportunity for many to invest into the type of black community many of us would dream of being part of. At lease I feel this way. And I can’t stand to live in a large city any more! So what do you think? Am I too crazy?

AXE!

2. Corvo

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    No takers?

3. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812

The key to its success is not about wealthy patrons (presumably these patrons, as its citizens, are conscious?), it will be about how to protect it.

4. Corvo

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    I figure if we got it, we ain't going to let it go!

5. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Ok...just make sure the outsiders don't try to send in operatives or tax you off the land, 'cause by the records, they are repeat offenders. It's how they've been stealing all that beautiful ocean front property from the Gullah people. I'm not trying to kill the optimism, as I do believe these things can be done, but proper and careful planning will be needed to cement success.

6. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Mound Bayou is a city in Bolivar County, Mississippi, United States. The population was 2,102 at the 2000 census. It is notable for having been founded as an independent black community in 1887 by former slaves led by Isaiah Montgomery. By percentage, its 98.4 percent African-American majority population is one of the largest of any community in the United States.

Geography
    According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.9 square miles (2.3 km²).0.9 square miles (2.3 km²) of it is land and none of it is covered by water.

Demographics

As of the census of 2000, there were 2,102 people, 687 households, and 504 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,395.1 people per square mile (922.3/km²). There were 723 housing units at an average density of 823.8/sq mi (317.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 0.81% White, 98.43% African American, 0.05% Native American, 0.24% Asian, 0.05% from other races, and 0.43% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.38% of the population....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mound_Bayou,_Mississippi

7. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Folk don't write and talk about stuff they weren't' and aren't hip to...

:fyi:

8. Corvo

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,771

chuck, perhaps you're right.

I believe we can best survive by controlling most aspects of our life's, especially our own food. Small towns with every thing we need covered by us.

cherryblossom, that is great news, we need alot more land the that for food production, but that sure sounds like a great start..

AXE!

9. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Good evening, Corvo...

And what matters is you continue to make an effort...

But the past is just that...

Some tried different means and ways to elevate our and our various peoples in the Americas etc.

Some things worked....

Some things didn't...

Though no plan of action and/or movement emerged 'overnight'?

It was not our ancestors choice to go into exile...

Others misled our forebears 'the grass was greener' via the great migrations from the south to the north...

Etc.

It was-- and is-- by chance--not choice--so many of our people found and now find themselves in the midst of these monoliths--called urban centers--and/or the metro areas around them....

So--perhaps--'smaller is better'--and good luck to those proposing that alternative--as well...

Take care...

Peace...

:geek:

10. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    yes, you are too crazy. :)

But only with regard to your concept of "we".. you should do that.. I have
    similar ideas.. individual families can do that kind of things.. but a large group
    would attract the FBI.. for sure.. We'd be on TV like them folks in Waco
    Texas.. they'd be making up all kind of stories about us.. demonizing us..
    interviewing alleged ex-Corvonians that escaped the rituals.. they would
    pull out all the stops and go straight into the cult attack.. throw something
    to do with children in there and they're off.. have your own relatives talking
    about, " I knew something was wrong with him, he was on that evil internet
    too much.." .. :) .. and all you wanted to do was live better..

it's a good dream though.. wrote a post about, like to hear it here it go..