Science and Technology : Mark Zuckerberg posts "The New Jim Crow" to his timeline - Oct 13th

ceebee

REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 23, 2015
Mark Zuckerberg with Priscilla Chan at San Quentin State Prison
October 13 at 5:38pm · Edited ·
Today Priscilla and I visited San Quentin State Prison. Earlier this year I read The New Jim Crow, a study of how the US justice system disproportionately criminalizes and jails Blacks and Latinos. We wanted to see first hand what prison conditions are like for people -- and we got a chance to speak with inmates and staff.

US jails hold around 2.4 million people -- about 25 percent of the world’s prisoners. Blacks and Hispanics are significantly more likely than whites to be arrested for possession and sale of marijuana and to receive a conviction and criminal record, even though the majority of marijuana users are non-Hispanic whites. Almost 40 percent of prisoners are black. More than half the people entering prison live below the poverty line. Our entire society pays the price for an unfair, broken system.

San Quentin has one of the best track records of people not returning to jail in the country. They run programs to teach valuable skills to help inmates find jobs and avoid criminal activity.

In this photo, I'm talking with inmates who are taking a coding course. I was impressed by their spirit to return to their communities and provide for their families, as well as the dedication of the staff to help them reclaim their lives.

Making our criminal justice system fairer and more effective is a huge challenge for our country. I’m going to keep learning about this topic, but some things are already clear. We can’t jail our way to a just society, and our current system isn't working.

105k Likes4.5k Comments7.1k Shares

Link:

What's the end game here? Have any idea?

Today Priscilla and I visited San Quentin State Prison. Earlier this year I read The New Jim Crow, a study of how the US justice system disproportionately criminalizes and jails Blacks and Latinos. We wanted to see first hand what prison conditions are like for people -- and we got a chance to speak with inmates and staff.

US jails hold around 2.4 million people -- about 25 percent of the world’s prisoners. Blacks and Hispanics are significantly more likely than whites to be arrested for possession and sale of marijuana and to receive a conviction and criminal record, even though the majority of marijuana users are non-Hispanic whites. Almost 40 percent of prisoners are black. More than half the people entering prison live below the poverty line. Our entire society pays the price for an unfair, broken system.

San Quentin has one of the best track records of people not returning to jail in the country. They run programs to teach valuable skills to help inmates find jobs and avoid criminal activity.

In this photo, I'm talking with inmates who are taking a coding course. I was impressed by their spirit to return to their communities and provide for their families, as well as the dedication of the staff to help them reclaim their lives.

Making our criminal justice system fairer and more effective is a huge challenge for our country. I’m going to keep learning about this topic, but some things are already clear. We can’t jail our way to a just society, and our current system isn't working.

Link:

Link:

Only if and when destee.com has its own active facebook page can we hope and pray to truly reach or teach other progressive black folk too

fyi

Ok so, heres my assimilation of what this means.

It is possible that he is genuinely concerned, he is fairly young, and even if he had an ulterior motive, exposing The New Jim Crow to his huge audience is applaudable.

However, reading through the comments, it is hard to determine if the bulk of the comments are written by people who actually understand the depth of what Michelle Alexander points out (or if he does.)

E.G. there were two results for 'racism', none for 'white supremacy', and a general astonishment at the mere mention of the subject - but no real indicator that any would further look into the issues, or actually cared.

So I did what seemed useful.... expanded upon the subject ... but it was posted a few days ago, so the bulk of the commenting happened then.

Anyhow, critique of what I posted would be nice.

I applaud you posting this to your timeline. There is a lot to this phenomena - the systemic oppression The New Jim Crow exposes - but the context of which the book and Michelle Alexander speaks about needs to be made clear. Additionally, she has youtube videos which I will address at the end of this comment.

1. Racism in America has been a huge problem since the invention of race in the 1600's. There were no 'white' people before that time. Its creation was to allow minority (European) colonists to divide & control subjected populations.

2. Racism in America is therefor a symptom of colonial conquest, which has been globally enacted as most peoples world-wide have been colonized by Europeans in some form.

3. Racism is not simply biased or prejudiced attitudes, it is when those in power hold these attitudes and systemically act on them.

Racism can be looked as a system by which oppression is expressed. Inter-personal racism, what is narrowly referred to as 'racism' in colloquial usage, is only one small part of this system.

a] Institutional Racism (criminal justice/mass incarceration)
b] Environmental Racism (dumps/waste/radioactive locations)
c] Covert/Laissez-faire Racism (sometimes mistaken/disguised as inter-personal racism)
d] Scientific Racism (from chimps? iq average is lower? eugenics?)
e] Media Racism (consolidated, controlled, & censored, enhanced bias through reinforced conditioning)
f) Religious Racism (ham was cursed to be black?)
g) Economic Racism (denying jobs/loans/housing/schooling/etc)

So this is kind of a big deal as it effects millions of people in America, and similar unjust systems are in place world-wide.

Heres the catch. Just as slavery was a capitolist machine whose financers and monetary benefits reached deep into beurocratic and wealthy financial circles (who, some say, actually initially became wealthy from slavery..) the current racial injustices are also, at the core, institutionally sanctioned.

So you're basically going to be learning about the government and richest people in the world and how they benefit from race and class division.

On that note, I find it *incredibly* interesting, that on my page at least, Hillary Clinton is listed as the first person to like this post.

Rediculous. Bill Clinton sponsored more terrorist actions in Africa, was behind more incarceration, and specifically more drug war injustice...
I wouldn't believe Ms Clinton would be doing anything more than that; profiting from these wars.

Thanks again for posting this. Lastly, you can find complete lectures by Michelle Alexander on youtube.
Be careful though. If you decide to delve into the comments, you will find White Supremacists lurking in
every corner, on every video. Nearly all talk of racism on the internet is hijacked by these people, but
in some sense you get to see a real, uncensored view of how many Americans *actually* think, because not
all of the comments are left by sponsored trolls.

Anecdotally, I happen to have lived in the Santa Barbara / Ventura / Ojai / Oxnard area for the past several years.
Here, the black population is very sparse - however there is a very large black population in jail. And I've been there,
against my will, for numerous fallacious reasons - many Ventura citizens feel that the police actively prey on them as
a means of revenue, for the courts, jails, and for themselves.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back