Jails / Prisons : Marion Jones - 6 Months in Prison

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by Destee, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Marion Jones - 6 Months in Prison

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. - Marion Jones was sentenced today to six months in prison for lying about using steroids and a check-fraud scam, despite her plea that she not be separated from her two young children "even for a short period of time." "I ask you to be as merciful as a human being can be," said Jones, who cried on her husband's shoulder after she was sentenced. U.S. District Judge Kenneth Karas gave her the maximum under her plea deal "because of the need for general deterrence and the need to promote respect for the law."

Click Here To Read Entire Article

:heart:

Destee

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    As i watch this whole nightmare unfold , she was the pick to make a statement
    to the sport world , Judge even said she was a figure to all children not just 2 which
    she sent the wrong message ......her plea was heart felt and her public words of such mistake.
    it's sad that they made a mark out of her to send the message

3. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    I disagree. Our Black talented youth NEED this message. If anything, this entire steroid thing - will be caught etc - and you'll go down harder than any euro - so you better watch your back at all times.

You know - I'm kinda tired of hearing this type of thing - people cannot be that dumb to keep trying - keep pretending that they'll got off with a slap on the wrist.. you know, like Jane and Paul.. ;) PARTICULARILY targetted people - which Black people are. And the famous ones? hrmph.

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    That may be true but her offense is not the worse she didn't harm noone but herself with the use of these drugs !
    The Judge set her fate to be harash from the start when the baseball player Roger clemen now caught up they seeking ways to say it ain't so !
    his tranier say he gave it .

yes black are like an open book to the system more so then whites look how many before
    her who have done the same thing and all they got was a ban from the sport
    she get jail time from her babies ......the judgement is foul and as painful as her
    emotions and heart felt speech

I still see Jones as a champion and leader , the best of us make mistakes daily
    she no different and should be allowed that ...The best thing is she will learn from it
    and better self in the future of her life and upbringing of her children

why take a mother from her newly born child that's only months old
    white judge of no mercy just to send a message that won't stop the use of these drugs

she was hit hard but she got my full support

5. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    Nope. Sorry. She screwed up.

What I am sincerely tired of.. is Black folk who continue to 'screw up' yet keep turning to their white 'counterparts' saying.. "but what about him/her??" :cry:

Pshaw! there is no comparison.

as long as Black folk continue to use white 'privilege' as a benchmark for 'fairness' (ha!) - WE WILL ALWAYS LOSE!!!!

This is why I'm saying - our talented Black youth need to know this - and stop the silly facade/lie that all are treated equal. Black Nations have always dominated these euro money making machines (sports in particular) I am disgusted she 'cheated' and I really dont care how many of her white counterparts do it, and what they get away with. She played their game and lost.

6. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    Of course its sad she is taken from her kids, financial ruin etc. I hope she recovers and sincerely teaches Black youth about the dangers of this pretense - and will turn their focus on their natural skills - which have always - and WILL always dominate - collectively.

7. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    At least Marion did confess while others continue to deny their steroid use.
    I was hurt when she admitted to this last October and dont think I will watch another Team USA meet for a very long time.

8. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    hang on a sec. You are proud of her confessing where other folk lie lie lie - yet hurt by her confession to the extent you may not watch pro athletes for awhile?

9. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    I used to be a track and field coach

Marion Jones denied for years what many people knew. And we knew she wasn't the only one. We knew that steroid use most likely played a role in the untimely death of Florence Griffith Joyner [Flo-Jo].

I was glad when she finally came out and confessed last October, but was also saddened at the same time. I was disappointed in the fact that she was ratted out by her ex-husband. I felt sorry for those committed athletes who I knew were going to get stripped of their medals as a consequence.

As a result of the way she was hounded by the IOC I lost interest in track and field. Even though I have loved watching track & field since high school. I know people who were affected by the Moscow boycott of 1980. People who worked hard and never had a chance to compete again at the international level.

For me, it's always hard to see Black people rise to the top, then get taken out by their own people. It's even worse when they are then prosecuted by the state knowing there are people guilty of much worse crimes.

This is in no way condoneing any wrong doing on her part. I just can't honestly say I'm glad to see it happen.

Just my honest opinion.

10. Prizmm

Prizmm Well-Known Member MEMBER

Becoming Universal
    Ratings:
    +22
    Marion Jones, Barry Bonds,Serena or Venus, (the latter two because there has been no contorversy surrounding them) are superior athletes. When a pill is made that would allow anyone to emulate what these humans did, there won't be enough jail space to incarcerate every one that would use them.

Marion did not win because she took pills, she won because no body could keep up with her. Barry didn't smash homeruns because of a bottle of growth hormones, he's just the baddest man to ever handle a baseball bat in the last twenty years.
    I compare the arguments presented against these superior athletes to those leveled against non-athletes who are at the top of their games. Neocons, Scooter Libby, Paul Wolfowitz, George H.W. Bush, their steroids were LIES,which actually destroyed lives in legion, and none of them will ever pay a price.

Justice is not when the least among us (athletes) are ridiculed and shamed. Hell Marion took herself to seriously; we didn't elect her or any athletes to an office. Quite the contrary! Justice is not when elected officials drunk with the "steroid" of "power" destroy us, and put Marion Jones on the front page as if to say "she" (lol) was/is the problem. Jutice has happend when the greater demons of the past twelve years are called to answer. Where are they? Their still walking around the golf courses making deals. Marion should have kept her **** mouth shut. She was advised poorly. For my money she is still one of the "baddest" sprinters to lace up a pair of running shoes, ever! Peace!